Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch for the cooker. Required?

• 01-08-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Hello, and apologies for stupid questions beforehand.

The switch on the wall or my cooker seems to have conked out.
    If i switch it on, a faded light (instead of the bright light) omes on, only until i try to turn on the hob or the oven. Then it dims out entirely.

I have gone and bought myself a replacement switch but the cables are a bit snug, so i'm having a tough time undoing the switch.

And i'm too lazy to call my landlord about it.
    Now, here's my question: Is it really necessary to have this switch?

Or could i just get one of those cable connectors and bypass the switch entirely?

And then just mention it for the LL when i move out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

DO NOT under any circumstances by-pass the switch. If it wasn't needed it wouldn't be there, also if there's ever a fire due to the cooker the insurance company will tell you to fùck right off as the isolation switch for cookers is a part of the wiring regulations.

If the cookers not working get an electrician to look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Fair enough. To me it seem redundant, but that's just what i've been brought up with.
    (Another country, another culture) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That sounds like a connection problem. It could be the switch contacts gone bad alright, but loose connections at the switch itself, or at the MCB board could also cause the same problem.

Advertisement