Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco sim card in an O2 phone...

• 01-08-2011 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of a Tesco Mobile sim card working in an O2 locked phone? Seeing as Tesco Mobile is a 'piggyback' network on O2...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Different networks, so different locks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kris44

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=168156

Theres a few forums like this ^ suggesting that in the UK it is possible to use a Tesco Sim card in an O2 phone, but not the other way around. Since Tesco Mobile is an MVNO in Ireland and the UK running on the O2 network in both cases I'm half assuming it might be the case here.

Just need to know if anyone has any experience of this working in Ireland or not before I buy an O2 phone for my Tesco Sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

kris44 wrote: »
    http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=168156

Theres a few forums like this ^ suggesting that in the UK it is possible to use a Tesco Sim card in an O2 phone, but not the other way around. Since Tesco Mobile is an MVNO in Ireland and the UK running on the O2 network in both cases I'm half assuming it might be the case here.

Just need to know if anyone has any experience of this working in Ireland or not before I buy an O2 phone for my Tesco Sim

Can I ask why you would not consider buying a Tesco Mobile phone?

Can I ask why you would not consider buying a Tesco Mobile phone?

Tesco don't sell the phone I want (they have a pretty poor range IMO). I'm looking for a particular smart phone, and want to give it a shot on Tesco because they have great data rates and double credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

If the phone is locked to O2 then a Tesco Mobile SIM wont work in it. We work off different netowrk ID's and different locks in the same way as the other networks.

Our setup is technically different to the UK so don't use any commentary on Tesco Mobile UK as a guide for Ireland.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

Thanks for the clarification Paul, I appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 smcgurn

My husband and I were both locked into the Vodafone network, tried to get into tesco mobile pay as you go and carry over our numbers (as we were with tesco mobile before and we found them a lot less expensive)but Vodafone would not let us leave the network, unless we paid for the telephones, as we got 2 complimentary telephones (130 euro each).

In the end up, we went to a tv shop where they unlock phones, cost us 25 euro to get the phones unlocked from Vodafone and registered our new tesco sim cards on the pay as you go network and got to keep our old telephone numbers.

Never ever again will we sign up to Vodafone, absolute robbery where mobile charges are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcoppard

Am I able to buy a pay as you go phone from another network and then use the tesco network? I ask this question because I am not a great lover of the phones that tesco sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bcoppard wrote: »
    Am I able to buy a pay as you go phone from another network and then use the tesco network? I ask this question because I am not a great lover of the phones that tesco sell.

No, you will have to get the other network's phone unlocked first. Or you could buy a sim-free phone from the likes of amazon.co.uk or other sites. Have a look at the Android forum.

Advertisement