Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This BoardsDeals TEFL course?

• 02-08-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering what people make of this offer through boardsdeals today. I know there is no teaching experience offered but all the same it's a good saving.

Opinions welcome please.

http://www.boardsdeals.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Depends on a few things really:

1) Do you have a primary degree? If not, you'll be hard pressed to get a teaching post in TEFL/ ESOL in Ireland regardless of which TEFL qualification you pursue
    2) Do you have a degree and are looking at teaching methodologies as a means to travel? Looks OK but lack of international recognition may be a stumbling block
    3) Do you have the motivation and discipline to study online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Also interested in this.I'm a primary teacher with 15 years experience.If I did this course, would I then be able to teach foreign students during the summer?Finances are pretty dire so am looking at trying to get extra income next July or August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

In terms of summer work - I would say maybe worth a shot but I wouldn't bank on it. The two main qualifications are the Celta and Relsa and I reckon a lot of language schools will look to these and no further. Could with this, many language schools are in the teacher training game themselves so will recruit from within. One thing I did that seemed to help me was any skills that you can bring in (e.g. organising sports, playing guitar, tour guide etc) as it will make you more marketable.

Having said that, your teaching experience will of course stand more to you than a four week course so it will be a case of persuading the interviewer that you are capable of delivering albeit with a less intensive/ recognised qualification. The thing about ESOL/ TEFL is that you are a master in the field before you ever train in it - it's about having the skills to look at it from another perspective.

Worth a punt if you have the cash and another thing for the CV which may help you!

Thanks Matt,you obviously have experience of TEFL courses&this area in general.I think I might give it a shot,if anything it will help me when teaching non national students with poor English skills in my class.I wonder is there foreign students looking for grinds while they study English here during the summer,maybe an hour or 2 a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Hey,

Just wondering what people make of this offer through boardsdeals today. I know there is no teaching experience offered but all the same it's a good saving.

Opinions welcome please.

http://www.boardsdeals.ie/

Is it ACELS accredited (i.e. CELT)? Or CELTA? If not, it's not worth doing especially if you hope to get a job in Ireland.

You would pay @ €1000 for the ACELS (Irish Department of Education) CELT cert, and @ €1500 for the British CELTA cert, so it's highly unlikely that this offer for €99 is either of these.

Invest in the real thing and you'll get the money back in 3 or 4 weeks of teaching and have it for the rest of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

The two main qualifications are the Celta and Relsa and I reckon a lot of language schools will look to these and no further.

For the OP, RELSA is the old name for the ACELS CELT.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Is it ACELS accredited (i.e. CELT)? Or CELTA? If not, it's not worth doing especially if you hope to get a job in Ireland.

I contacted tefl express today,they said that course is not ACELS accredited,which is a pity.
    Are TEFL summer course providers in Ireland strict when it comes to hiring teachers i.e do you have to be ACELS accredited?As I said earlier,I was hoping to do this course and ,with my teaching experience,try get a summer job next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

toby2111 wrote: »
    Are TEFL summer course providers in Ireland strict when it comes to hiring teachers i.e do you have to be ACELS accredited?
    Yes, they are very strict about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would this be of any use to someone who got a 2.1 degree in arts English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

toby2111 wrote: »
    I contacted tefl express today,they said that course is not ACELS accredited,which is a pity.
    Are TEFL summer course providers in Ireland strict when it comes to hiring teachers i.e do you have to be ACELS accredited?As I said earlier,I was hoping to do this course and ,with my teaching experience,try get a summer job next year.

There is an ACELS accredited TEFL course that is only one week long, designed specifically for state-qualified teachers who want to teach teenage students in the summer. To the best of my knowledge it is run during school holidays e.g. Easter. Google it, it is much cheaper, and obviously less of a time commitment than the 4 week course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

the_syco wrote: »
    Would this be of any use to someone who got a 2.1 degree in arts English?

Depends on where you want to teach really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Has anybody else purchased the TEFL voucher?!
    I just did in a spur of the moment purchase that I will probably regret next week when I am broke again. But €99 seems so reasonable for a course like that!

Has anyone done one of these courses before or has anyone else purchased this one?

***Whoops can a mod please delete or move this please, i put it in the wrong place and can't find a way to delete it myself!***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Teaching & Lecturing

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Where does one obtain this voucher of which you speak?
    I am interested...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ficheall wrote: »
    Where does one obtain this voucher of which you speak?
    I am interested...

http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/99-instead-of-599-for-TEFL-120-Advanced-course-with-TEFL-Express/368/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are there any samples available of what these lessons are like?
    Just having a look at http://www.teflvideos.com/ . The first video, at least, seems to be largely bs. What do the tefl express online lessons look like?

Advertisement