Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Donegal get a railway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

A Railway to where from where?

If you listen to certain preists and other sundry dreamers, a route from Derry via Letterkenny and Donegal Town and then Via Bundoran and virgin terriitory to Sligo is being mooted.Is this your plan?Or have you just not thought about it?

How about levying a local tax in Donegal to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Give it a year and we'll probably have a "should we have a train from Limerick to Waterford" thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

irish_man wrote: »
    Donegal should definitively get a railway. However the Irish gov. doesn't have any money available for it. Knowing irish rail it would be roughly half an hour quicker than the bus route and double the price.

Do Irish Rail have high speed trains at all? I remember the last on I was on crawled for the entire journey. I'd love if the trains went faster. I'm not asking for a Maglev train but a train that went a consistent 120mph would be nice.
    dowlingm wrote: »
    Give it a year and we'll probably have a "should we have a train from Limerick to Waterford" thread. :rolleyes:

:D It must be silly season again.
    While we are at it, how about a train to the Aran Islands.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

As a resident of the county I always laugh when people complain about not having a railway, 99% of the people who want it would use it once a year for a trip to Dublin or whatever. The only line that might come close to being feasible is a Letterkenny - Derry line but theres already a good road and plenty of buses serving the route so a train is pointless.

Letterkenny - Sligo makes no sense whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

yer man! wrote: »
    I'm not actually from Donegal, nowhere near it in fact. I just have a lot of friends who live there and hate getting the bus as it's so uncomfortable to be on for that length of time. I also found it really weird how some of them had never seen an Irishrail train before.
    If the road was better, the bus would be quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

Harps wrote: »
    As a resident of the county I always laugh when people complain about not having a railway
    Donegal makes up for it with an airport, a second airport just over the border at Eglington and a third proposed airport on the Big Isle that never quite took off so to speak.

Advertisement