Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Rent a Moored boat

• 02-08-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Well I'm looking for an apartment for the academic year starting in September-finishing in May, and was just wondering what price tag would I be looking at to rent a boat for this period? I don't want to use the boat for anything but an apartment, so a boat well secured with locks and so on is fine by me.
    I'm Really just looking for something different other than the usual land based apartments.

I eagerly await replies, maybe you'll all tell me I'm mad.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Where in the world are you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Leidenfrost

Dublin, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Marinas in different areas will have different rates. You can moor a cruiser in a rough unserviced mooring in Cootehall for 2K per annum (last time I checked) where as somewhere in Dublin city centre on the liffey would cost way way more. and that doesnt include the boat!

Personally, I love the idea but the OH thinks I'm mad. For one her hair would always be frizzy from the damp environment:rolleyes:. For another it would be cold, damp and cramped on the cold winter days and just very incomfortable if its on a busy or exposed stretch of river or in an unsheltered part of the marina. Not to mention the risk of drowning when staggering home in the early hours of the morning after a heavy night of partying studying and other academic related activities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

You can moor a cruiser in a rough unserviced mooring in Cootehall for 2K per annum

Jasus, Coothall sounds pricey.
    My 35 foot, fully serviced, secure marina berth in Waterford is under €1000.00for 12 months.

Op you may find it difficult to find a boat owner willing to take you on, due to insurance issues.
    My insurance (which is compulsory for my marina) rules out a live aboard.

I also think the city council run marinas don't allow residential moorings.
    Sorry to be negative. Cool idea though, good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Dublin, why?

Because theres no point people suggesting boats in Clare, Offaly, Leitrim etc if your in Dublin.
    We have lakes and rivers outside the capital too you know! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Leidenfrost

alan1990 wrote: »
    Because theres no point people suggesting boats in Clare, Offaly, Leitrim etc if your in Dublin.
    We have lakes and rivers outside the capital too you know! :p
    Too true!
    Slig wrote: »
    Marinas in different areas will have different rates. You can moor a cruiser in a rough unserviced mooring in Cootehall for 2K per annum (last time I checked) where as somewhere in Dublin city centre on the liffey would cost way way more. and that doesnt include the boat!
    That seems reasonable, I'd be willing to pay at least 2K for 8 months of renting, and if the owner of the boat wanted to take it out during the weekday and at weekends that'd be fine by me.
    It's mainly for the weekdays that I'll need to stay there, somewhere to make some tea, study and go asleep.
    So if anyone who is reading this owns a boat with a single bed, and a modest kitchen, and would like the boat to make them some money at night when it's sitting in dock then give me a PM.
    I also have two years of night time Security Guard experience on my CV, from a housing estate project, if that helps.
    And if you're a really absent owner, then I could swap out your sacrificial anodes and generally take care of the boat for you.

[QUOTE=Slig;73775792
    Personally, I love the idea but the OH thinks I'm mad. For one her hair would always be frizzy from the damp environment:rolleyes:. For another it would be cold, damp and cramped on the cold winter days and just very incomfortable if its on a busy or exposed stretch of river or in an unsheltered part of the marina. Not to mention the risk of drowning when staggering home in the early hours of the morning after a heavy night of partying studying and other academic related activities[/QUOTE]

haha that was a humorous image, but I don't drink, really can't with liver problems- mild Wilsons disease.

I don't necessarily need to rent a boat on the Liffey, one of the ports would be more than ideal as long as it's 5 to 10 minutes bus journey from the port to the city centre, as unfortunately I don't go to UCD.

Thanks for everyones feedback so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budge

such a good idea,have u find anything yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Hifive wrote: »
    Op you may find it difficult to find a boat owner willing to take you on, due to insurance issues.

Not alone that when they hear "student" they will think "parties; untidy; noise; never there"
    I also think the city council run marinas don't allow residential moorings.
    Sorry to be negative. Cool idea though, good luck with it.

The only "liveabord" seaside marina in dublin ( correct me if I am wrong) is malahide.
    One can also liveaboard on the canals.
    This would be more advisable if you are prepared to travel from Lucan /Clane or are in Maynooth University.

Advertisement