Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning C

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

hi can anybody

I want to learn C. but i have 1 small problem

i cant program at alllllll.

can anybody recommended a book that incudes a program to write C

i have NO (none ( none at all )) programing experiences but i do want to learn C

And a video tutorial

thanks allllll

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Learn an easier language first, like Java or C#. This is what they do in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,574 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

srsly78 wrote: »
    Learn an easier language first, like Java or C#. This is what they do in college.
    calling bs on that. i learned C before any other programming language and i turned out quite fine!

it's true that C is a tricky language, but to get the fundamental grasp of programming it's no harder than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

DIT's computer science course teaches C in first year.

OP, I've been teaching myself C with these two books:
    The C Programming Language (This one is always recommended)

And Absolute Beginner's Guide to C

There are some tutorials on youtube showing you the very basics, as well as getting the software set up, most seem to use dev c++, while this is quite outdated, it's perfect for a beginner. Although, it's just as easy to use a text editor and MinGW.

Here's lesson #1 for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b00HsZvg-V0

:facepalm:

Yeah, I learned C first as well. Because those other languages didn't fscking exist! Things are different today.

Learn PROGRAMMING first. Then go learn whatever languages you want.

Bad analogy time: Hey OP we all had to walk to school in our bare feet through the snow!!! Thus so should you even though there are buses and stuff these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Just once, I'd love to see a thread where a person asks for tutorials on a language and have it not decend into "learn SuperC" or "I've been programming for 20 years so I know what I'm talking about" style nonsense.

• Advertisement

Reductio ad absurdum: C is for wimps, learn assembler!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Reductio ad absurdum: C is for wimps, learn assembler!! :pac:

Learn to program machine code in binary first - syntex error.....whats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

fasty wrote: »
    Just once, I'd love to see a thread where a person asks for tutorials on a language and have it not decend into "learn SuperC" or "I've been programming for 20 years so I know what I'm talking about" style nonsense.

I don't know, if a newbie wanted to learn to program, I would certainly prefer to see them learn SuperC (sounds super) first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

it's true that C is a tricky language, but to get the fundamental grasp of programming it's no harder than anything else.

Calling BS on that :p

C# is more useful to amateur and hobbyist programmers than C, so why not start on the one that, is not only simpler but can build to PC, XBox, Silverlight, and WinPhone 7 plus you may well end up using if you ever get a job.
    AND
    Even if C# is not used, as you said, you have learned how to program.
    AND
    Coding C# should give you a good idea of the .NET framework, which is always nice.

I don't know, if a newbie wanted to learn to program, I would certainly prefer to see them learn SuperC (sounds super) first.

I always recommend Python to people who want to learn programming.

My point is, the guy asked a question and didn't get the answer and here we are in another language war thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A guide to C programming by Paul Kelly OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Mo14 wrote: »

OP, I've been teaching myself C with these two books:
    The C Programming Language (This one is always recommended)

A good book. C is as good a language to learn the basics as any, in fact starting with console applications would be the best place. Once you have the basics down you'll move on to more advance stuff like memory management.

I say go start out with C and *C* how you get on! <- soz, couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭carveone

I'll wade in here with my 2c and say that C is a razor sharp programming language with little or no margin for mistakes. My favourite being what happens if you assign a signed char to an int without having a good think about it first (sign extension - will nobble you every time!) It really is a pain in the arse sometimes.

Having said that there are many reasons why someone would learn it, the most important being microcontrollers (Arm Cortex ftw!). Doing ARM assembly doesn't appeal to me all that much, even though I admire the layout.

I'll also add that I change my mind all the time about languages. I'll say "Learn C!" and then think "without context, that was probably a silly thing to say". I do hate C++ though and look forward to a day where a language like Go (google's golang) is more popular. I'm thinking concurrency here, an issue which will do your head in on C. The XMOS processor language XC has this kind of easy concurrency and channel comms in the language too.

For both, it helps to know C anyway. PHP and Go and many others are styled after C and it does no harm to learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭carveone

Oh, and the K&R C book is still too expensive! Might be better than spending money on those Schildt books though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

after reading all reposes some people are saying c# is easyer for beginers.
    so.... can anybody recommend a c# book?

Pro C# 2010 and the .Net Platform by Andrew Troelson.

Advertisement