Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Cratloe?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Im from Sandymount in Dublin and im thinking of moving to Cratloe as i was recently offered a job in Limerick City. I have a wife and 1 kid. I was told that it is close to the Airport and that the city is only 10 minutes away by a friend from Limerick. Would Cratloe be a nice area to live for a family and is it expensive or average to buy a house there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cookie82

i live in sixmilebridge which is very close to cratloe. its a lovely place very quite. i would think the house prices would be a little pricy but i dont know for sure. there is a pub, school, church, butchers, green grocers, post office, and a little cafe called the pantry. thats what i can remember from memory. you should take a look at sixmilebridge as well as cratloe its about 5 minutes from cratloe its a lovely little village, good value on houses for sale too. sorry i cant help more with cratloe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cratloe is a lovely spot. A small village, but with decent facilities and with easy access to Limerick, Shannon, Galway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Cratloe is pretty plush so house prices would be substantially higher than in Sixmilebridege but if you have the means then best of luck to you.
    Proximity to Limerick City Centre would be 10-15 minutes.
    2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc0459bea6927a645a8114200b619ce9332dd.jpg
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=590054
    Here is an example of a house that has been on the market for quite some time now. It's in a nice country setting and the price isn't too inflated. I'd be making a bid 50k shy of the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

My advice don't.if it means buying one up the road from the dangerous bridge at the Sixmilebridge side.It is a lovely area,but I know a few that are talking of moving because of the amount of crashes and near misses at that location.....That would be the only down side for me,you will possible get some folk with different opinions to myself,but as I say, that one area is the only place I would recommend not to buy......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 That Usual Fellow

Lovely spot,peaceful area yet your only a few minutes from Shannon and limerick,probably more expensive than the average place but whether you think its worth it is down to you i suppose

• Advertisement

littlemis wrote: »
    My advice don't.if it means buying one up the road from the dangerous bridge at the Sixmilebridge side.It is a lovely area,but I know a few that are talking of moving because of the amount of crashes and near misses at that location.....That would be the only down side for me,you will possible get some folk with different opinions to myself,but as I say, that one area is the only place I would recommend not to buy......:)

That's a terrible bend when you're not familiar with the area but it's fine, I take that about ten times a day and have never had a problem but one time I was passing and a car had crashed into the side of the wall of the bridge. It was 2 young Swedish Au Pairs who had taken a wrong turn on their way to Bunratty. I wouldn't let it turn me off living up that road, but Cratloe is a big sprawl, there's loads more areas including Portdrine and Ballymorris.

That's a terrible bend when you're not familiar with the area but it's fine, I take that about ten times a day and have never had a problem but one time I was passing and a car had crashed into the side of the wall of the bridge. It was 2 young Swedish Au Pairs who had taken a wrong turn on their way to Bunratty. I wouldn't let it turn me off living up that road, but Cratloe is a big sprawl, there's loads more areas including Portdrine and Ballymorris.

Only reason I made mention of that area is because, there have been a few accidents of cars turning up that particular road in recent months, where a car coming from the smb side have smacked into the back side end of cars turning up that road...Thankfully we have had no problems either.I do find that at times as you are going under the bridge the oncoming cars just keep going through rather that err on the side of caution....The op needs to know any negative points as well, & this for me would be the only part of Cratloe I would personally not live or recommend to live in.. :)

True but if that's the case than living in Sixmilebridge is worse because there's 2 of these dodgy turns under bridges to pass when heading to Limerick. Just sayin ;)

True but if that's the case than living in Sixmilebridge is worse because there's 2 of these dodgy turns under bridges to pass when heading to Limerick. Just sayin ;)

Guess we are lucky we don't live there so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

littlemis wrote: »
    Guess we are lucky we don't live there so!:D

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sixmilebridge or Cratloe.

OP

Sixmilebridge has way more things going for it than Cratloe. More shops pubs playground that easily accessed to, train station that serves Galway and Limerick.

Having said that if you have a secondary going school kid, the only nearby secondary schools are in Limerick or Shannon. (This goes for both Sixmilebridge or Cratloe.

Perhaps renting a house in the area that you want to buy might be the best option then you can see for yourself which is the best way forward.

Both Sixmilebridge and Cratloe are kinda rural, if your used to urban living probably best bet to look at houses in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

OP,

Killaloe/Ballina is a very scenic area with a very strong community spirit. It is close to Limerick too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

OP there are lovely houses in both Sixmilebridge & Cratloe and both are nice quiet locations
    Depending on what side of Limerick you'll be working on there is also Ennis as an option or Clarecastle
    Ennis is 35 minutes from the city via the motorway and there's a variety of houses it obviously has alot more facilities than either the bridge or Cratloe i.e. a cinema, dunnes, tesco, aldi, lidl, a few 24 hour shops and a choice of primary & secondary schools

Nice 3 bed end of terrace in Clarecastle for €125k
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=542678

€159k for a 4 bed house in the Hawthorns on the Limerick road in Ennis
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=607159

If you're selling a house in Dublin you might have a bit more funds to spare for a €300k 4 bed house on a 1 acre site on the Lahinch road?
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=603150

or for €179k there is a detached home on the Kilrush road
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=597647

Lots of options :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Id also look into buying into Meelick areas like woodcock hill, moneen, cappantymore etc.

Saying that Cratloe is lovely. Lots of people go for walks there the weekend to the forest etc.

Advertisement