Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st Year College Supplies?

• 02-08-2011 5:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Silly questions from a soon-to-be first year incoming.

I'm hopefully doing Law this year, and I'll be living in Brookfield if I get into UCC or another similar student apartment if I get accepted into another uni.

This time every year I used to LOVE back-to-school shopping. New schoolbag, pens, pencils, notebooks etc... great stuff. This year however, I'm not really sure what I'll need, or if there's anything important that I haven't thought to get especially since I'll be moving out. I guess a few notebooks and pens and pencils goes without saying, but I feel like that's not a whole lot...

For general day-to-day living stuff, I also don't have much of a clue what I'll need or what is already provided. I have a TV and PS3, but I guess I could live without those if there won't be room.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

njd2010 wrote: »
    Silly questions from a soon-to-be first year incoming.

I'm hopefully doing Law this year, and I'll be living in Brookfield if I get into UCC or another similar student apartment if I get accepted into another uni.

This time every year I used to LOVE back-to-school shopping. New schoolbag, pens, pencils, notebooks etc... great stuff. This year however, I'm not really sure what I'll need, or if there's anything important that I haven't thought to get especially since I'll be moving out. I guess a few notebooks and pens and pencils goes without saying, but I feel like that's not a whole lot...

For general day-to-day living stuff, I also don't have much of a clue what I'll need or what is already provided. I have a TV and PS3, but I guess I could live without those if there won't be room.

Any suggestions?

Buckfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya get the usual, pen's and notepad you need them for taking notes right!? Folders as well. A box maybe to store books/notes as you go. That's as much as you need before you start lectures, you probably be needing books once you are given a list from lecturers or from their online page and be given notes/handouts from lecturers anyway. Get a good strong decent bag for your back and carrying books, law books can be quiet heavy! On the first day a small bag/side bag, shoulder bag be grand! That should do you for the first week after than invest in a good sturdy bag anyway that won't fall apart, something neat and not too big! They sell bags in UCC shop so you won't be stuck, quicksilver or a sports bag like nike are quiet good!

For day to day, then the best thing you could bring along is your own bed linen that won't be provided what ever apartment you end up living in while you are in college! Your own laptop rather than a tv! You may or may not have a spare connection for a small tv in your room you might depends. Bring the essentials first before you start moving a load of stuff. Don't try and move in too much in one go, gradually but try to not let it build up then you will have more of a headache when leaving your apartment after finishing 1st year in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Ok thanks, I hadn't thought about bed stuff. Do people generally bring laptops to class for taking notes or whatever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

Generally people use pen and paper for notes. But if the lectures gives you your notes in advance you could use your laptop, make sure it's muted though!!
    best of luck in UCC should you end up there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Opics

Don't forget the slabs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Whatever you need, the college has a couple of shops for all your stationary needs, and most are reasonable prices. It's in the Student Centre, you'll be shown where that is on your orientation.

Just bring what you want, what you think you'll need. If you're going home on weekends or after a while, you can bring stuff back. My room in Cork had pretty much a replica of my room back home. Similar sort of stuff.
    Ok thanks, I hadn't thought about bed stuff. Do people generally bring laptops to class for taking notes or whatever?

Bring your bed stuff.

A majority of folks in University use pen and paper. Only a few use a laptop.

Laptops can be impractical unless you can type quickly. Some lecturers I have go very fast and my hand gets crippled from writing that quick. Also, some students have the tendency to go on Facebook, email, or play games. I know this because they're a bloody distraction. Even if you're interested in what the lecturer's saying, the laptop screen will always get your attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

Brookfield: Has a connection for a TV in the rooms but don't know if they work, don't bring up the PS3 the first week. You might get lucky and be in a house or apartment with gamers & have a selection of consoles connected to the one TV. Bring the essentials the first time and then go on a need this basis.
    Mugs are essential, and glasses. The mugs we got last year were tiny (can't make a daycent mug of tea in them, big mugs were our best buy) and the glasses were gone in a week, they were really really cheap and broke easily.

As for college: You can print off notes beforehand usually and take down any extras into them. Pen and paper and you'll be grand though, go for the easy option =p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

I always always always bring my laptop to lectures for note-taking, but this is purely because my handwriting is atrocious.

I'd bring a laptop regardless though if you can because you can use the wireless on campus for free (once you register your laptop)-hence you don't have to wait to grab one of the campus computers(which are a bit crappy anyway).

Bring plenty of pens and notebooks and a good strong bag for all those law books (Jansport all the way!).

Oh and I've found that a day planner/diary is a absolute godsend for helping me keep track of all my assignments so I would recommend investing in one of those too.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

MangoLime wrote: »
    I always always always bring my laptop to lectures for note-taking, but this is purely because my handwriting is atrocious.

I'd bring a laptop regardless though if you can because you can use the wireless on campus for free (once you register your laptop)-hence you don't have to wait to grab one of the campus computers(which are a bit crappy anyway).

Bring plenty of pens and notebooks and a good strong bag for all those law books (Jansport all the way!).

Oh and I've found that a day planner/diary is a absolute godsend for helping me keep track of all my assignments so I would recommend investing in one of those too.

Hope this helps!

Grrr note taking with laptops! That tapping sound all through the lecture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As a mature law student (... playing sunscreen song in the background ...) I'd reckon a small netbook is a must. You'll acquire a typing skill soon enough and at exam time it will make revising easier to have typed notes available. Make backups though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Very Helpful!

I spent so much time typing notes on my laptop during 6th year that I'm much faster at writing than handwriting, and as the callous on my finger from the History and English Leaving Cert course has only just gone away I'd be happy if I never used a pen again :p So I'll stick with my laptop if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Very Helpful!

I spent so much time typing notes on my laptop during 6th year that I'm much faster at writing than handwriting, and as the callous on my finger from the History and English Leaving Cert course has only just gone away I'd be happy if I never used a pen again :p So I'll stick with my laptop if I can.

Make sure to write with a pen several times a year so you won't "forget" the speed you wrote in your Leaving Certificate. During the year you'll have to write for in-class exams and during Summer exams. If you're typing the whole semester and then have to use a pen for a couple of hours it might be a disadvantage typing the whole year.

Advertisement