Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher 23rd October

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

cossy09 wrote: »
    Any love for the support band The Minutes on the thread. Dublins hardest working band nearly blew the roof off the Olympia and Mr gallagher was suitably impressed

Here here, The Minutes were class - a fitting support act for a brilliant headliner.
    I was not very familiar with them, but I will definitely look out for them again.

And Noel was just brilliant - The new songs sounded great, as did the old ones.

He played songs acoustically which he usually plays with the full band, and played acoustic songs with the full band.

He has such an amazing songbook to choose from, he is never going to cover all the bases but I really enjoyed his selection tonight.

A tremendous gig, a fitting start to Noel's solo career. It was a privilege to be there.

10 out of 10 from me - roll on the O2 in February!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Yeah The Minutes were great, will definitely be checking their album out

Great great gig from Noel although I found Little By Little a strange closer...maybe its cos Im just not a massive fan of the track to begin with, also Mucky Fingers I thought could have made way for something like Whatever or The Masterplan. No "Stop The Clocks" either

Got some great vids of most of the songs from down the front, will try post tomorrow.
    To be honest I noticed alot of people kinda lost during the new album tracks, in the pit at least anyway...the Oasis numbers of course tore it up though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I still envy all of you who saw the gig last night.

Couldn't get a ticket myself but I have every intention to try for the O2 date.

Setlist is impressive so far, surprised myself there was no Stop The Clocks but happy the rest of the album was there.

And did Noel G follow through on his promise of no banter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

karaokeman wrote: »

And did Noel G follow through on his promise of no banter?

No, he was chatting to the crowd several times but for some reason I couldn't understand any of it. But that usually tends to be the case with me at concerts, I can never make out what they say when they talk to the crowd.

Was it just me, or did the Minutes guy fall over by accident? Fair play to him as he kept playing while on the ground, if he did

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

The banter was mainly about City thrashing United 6-1 yesterday & when everyone boo'd he told'em all they shouldnt be booing a man onstage at his "very first gig", there was a great line too about the crowd singing "olé olé olé", him slagging them off about still pushing on with that tune after about 40 years & not having any new ones, think I might have it video'd....will check later when youtubing

He also dedicated "If I Had A Gun" to his wife Sarah who was up in the boxes as it was her birthday the day before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Ragin' I missed it.

Did anybody meet him or see him out for a drink or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Awh, gutted I couldn't go! Can't wait for Madrid now, and possibly/hopefully the O2 in February!

doughef wrote: »
    Did anybody meet him or see him out for a drink or anything?

Nope, don't think anyone did. I was queuing up when Noel went for soundcheck at 4pm.

There was literally just 2 people in front of me and Noel just hopped out of his tour bus and was in the venue in a flash. I saw him for an instant but I couldn't get a picture as everyone was holding their cameras up. A few people got pictures of him, maybe they will post here. From what I remember he was wearing a scarf and a jacket (as usual).

When Noel left the stage door he was gone just like that too. We all gave up when the man in security told us Noel was being taken back to his hotel and he wouldn't be back until the show.

I'm presuming he came back literally just before 9pm when all the fans were already inside the venue. He wasn't in the mood I can tell you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Pulse8 wrote: »
    The banter was mainly about City thrashing United 6-1 yesterday & when everyone boo'd he told'em all they shouldnt be booing a man onstage at his "very first gig", there was a great line too about the crowd singing "olé olé olé", him slagging them off about still pushing on with that tune after about 40 years & not having any new ones, think I might have it video'd....will check later when youtubing

He also dedicated "If I Had A Gun" to his wife Sarah who was up in the boxes as it was her birthday the day before

hes bang on about that. I cringe everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Wow. Unbelievable gig.. just, really really flawless and brilliant.

To be honest I wasnt that pushed on the album but I mean.. god, blown away last night.

The Minutes had the place rocking aswell, great reception for them, then Noel as has been said was in top form. The crowd were unbelievable, the Olympia is most definitely the best venue in the country aswell.

10/10 gig.

• Advertisement

there was a great line too about the crowd singing "olé olé olé", him slagging them off about still pushing on with that tune after about 40 years & not having any new ones, think I might have it video'd....will check later when youtubing

I just found this on my camera, will upload

He came on and off stage to Blue Moon aswell

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I do like the Olymia but unless you are in the pit area your view is kinda cut off with the balcony. Apart from that i love the venue

The banter was mainly about City thrashing United 6-1 yesterday & when everyone boo'd he told'em all they shouldnt be booing a man onstage at his "very first gig", there was a great line too about the crowd singing "olé olé olé", him slagging them off about still pushing on with that tune after about 40 years & not having any new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Nope, don't think anyone did. I was queuing up when Noel went for soundcheck at 4pm.

There was literally just 2 people in front of me and Noel just hopped out of his tour bus and was in the venue in a flash. I saw him for an instant but I couldn't get a picture as everyone was holding their cameras up. A few people got pictures of him, maybe they will post here. From what I remember he was wearing a scarf and a jacket (as usual).

When Noel left the stage door he was gone just like that too. We all gave up when the man in security told us Noel was being taken back to his hotel and he wouldn't be back until the show.

I'm presuming he came back literally just before 9pm when all the fans were already inside the venue. He wasn't in the mood I can tell you that much.

Just exactly what were you expecting from him? A stop and chat? Everyone hates those.

niallo24 wrote: »
    Just exactly what were you expecting from him? A stop and chat? Everyone hates those.

Maybe not a chat but there was only like 20 or so of us waiting for Noel. He would've had time to go around and sign our merchandise.

I don't care anyway, its his choice not mine. I'm just glad to hear the show went down so well last night, I will definitely be grabbing a ticket to see the Gallagher god at the O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

did he sing any of Liams stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Read he was staying in the Merrion.

conno16 wrote: »
    did he sing any of Liams stuff?

Only Wonderwall and Supersonic.

If he decides to do any more Liam songs I'm guessing Stop Crying Your Heart Out would be the most likely. He did it acoustic a few years ago and it was quite good.

Anyway I'm hoping he keeps the current setlist for the arena dates as I'm still disappointed over not hearing those 20 songs in order last night. Hopefully he will change the Oasis set around a bit for the 2013 tour supporting his second album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

A solo version of Live Forever would be pretty special. He's done it acoustically for radio sessions and that over the years. Biggest singalong ever I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Jesus that was some gig!!

The bro was waiting for Noel, as someone said it was literally off the bus and into the venue without a second to spare, he had to settle for a smoke and a 10min chat with Paul Gallagher! :)

All the Oasis tunes were top notch, never expected Mucky Fingers, I don't even think it was suggested here in all the pre-gig talk. Supersonic was amazing - didn't see that coming either. I was surprised Live Forever didn't get a run out.

Stranded on the Wrong Beach - best of the new tunes? I think there was definetly a symbolic meaning behind playing It's Good to be Free first, which I was ecstatic with as it's my fav Oasis tune.

Crowd were amazing, fair play lads. :D

Chatted to a few people who all paid over E200 for a ticket, bit suspicious imo.....

10/10 gig. Cant wait for the o2, what's the craic with the NGHFB facebook page having start time at 14:30???! Matinee gig eh? haha must be a typo.

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Stranded on the Wrong Beach - best of the new tunes? I think there was definetly a symbolic meaning behind playing It's Good to be Free first, which I was ecstatic with as it's my fav Oasis tune.

Agreed the choice of Oasis songs was good, barr the fact Noel didn't include SCYHO, which he does a very good acoustic version of. I'm really happy Little by Little was there, a bit vague as a finisher but at least it was there.
    Chatted to a few people who all paid over E200 for a ticket, bit suspicious imo.....

Suspicious indeed. When we were waiting for Noel to turn up in his tour bus I was talking to a fella who also lives on the Naas Road. I was thinking he could've been you when the guy told me he paid €200 for a ticket but then I asked if he was on boards and he said no.

Perhaps many more fans saw your comment here about paying way over the odds and that influenced their decision to pay the same price for a ticket. You might just become a hero for people who can't get a ticket for Noel on general sale.

Suspicious indeed. When we were waiting for Noel to turn up in his tour bus I was talking to a fella who also lives on the Naas Road. I was thinking he could've been you when the guy told me he paid €200 for a ticket but then I asked if he was on boards and he said no.

Perhaps many more fans saw your comment here about paying way over the odds and that influenced their decision to pay the same price for a ticket. You might just become a hero for people who can't get a ticket for Noel on general sale.

Not sure what you mean karaokeman... A hero? I did pay E200 for my ticket although I will say this:

I don't agree with giving touts money, and before this gig I never have. However, I think everyone will agree that there was about 0.01% chance of getting a face value ticket after General Admission had sold out. Basically the only way to get a ticket was a tout.

I'm happy I paid the money, I was a little unsure at the time, but it was totally worth it. I'm sure everyone here who bought a tout ticket is still 100% happy? It seems touts were at a max for this gig? My ticket was one purchased at an outlet at '9:02' am. I reckon touts have a scam with people working in these outlets.

The gig was unreal, and we were at Noel Gallaghers FIRST EVER SOLO GIG! That's some boast. Actually there was a free seat beside me the entire time, nobody even inquired about it at any stage, which made me seriously pissed, I'm sure a million lads would have done anything to be in it!

Looks like my suspicions are comfirmed by the Rag, I mean Sun ;):
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/3890791/Noel-Gallaghers-feeling-good-to-be-free.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Looked like a great gig, not envious at all ;)

Thing is, NG can't win as far as setlist goes, there are so many songs people want to hear. He could go play a different 20 songs and there'd be still some disappointment that he didn't play XYZ. Really shows you his strength as a songwriter, leaving out stuff like Live Forever, Slide Away, The Masterplan. Mental.

Roll on February anyways, in the meantime let the ticket stampede commence once again. Fans V Touts, give us a chance this time TicketBastard eh :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean karaokeman... A hero?

Well maybe hero's the wrong word but you're the first I've heard talk about spending €200 to see Noel. I know you're 100% happy you spent it and I don't blame you, because I would do the same if I had a job and if I had the money.

I implied hero in the sense that sooooo many people seem to have payed that same price for the gig since you commented about spending over the odds, but then again its probably just because;
    1. It was Noel's first ever solo gig
    2. It is almost undoubtful that gig was the only time Noel will ever play the Olympia

But I agree there is always a slim chance of getting face value tickets after general sale, especially a gig of such proportions as I've listed above.

I shall be getting a ticket to Noel's concert in the O2 myself. That gig I am estimating will be sold out in about 20 mins-half an hour. I don't think it could sell out as fast as these theatre shows did unless Liam came back and they renamed the High Flying Birds to Oasis.

Most people on this thread should be able to get a ticket for the O2 if they book their tickets immediately when they go on sale this thursday, if not I'm sure there will still be people paying over the odds to see this next gig when it sells out.

Well maybe hero's the wrong word but you're the first I've heard talk about spending €200 to see Noel. I know you're 100% happy you spent it and I don't blame you, because I would do the same if I had a job and if I had the money.

I implied hero in the sense that sooooo many people seem to have payed that same price for the gig since you commented about spending over the odds, but then again its probably just because;
    1. It was Noel's first ever solo gig
    2. It is almost undoubtful that gig was the only time Noel will ever play the Olympia

But I agree there is always a slim chance of getting face value tickets after general sale, especially a gig of such proportions as I've listed above.

I shall be getting a ticket to Noel's concert in the O2 myself. That gig I am estimating will be sold out in about 20 mins-half an hour. I don't think it could sell out as fast as these theatre shows did unless Liam came back and they renamed the High Flying Birds to Oasis.

Most people on this thread should be able to get a ticket for the O2 if they book their tickets immediately when they go on sale this thursday, if not I'm sure there will still be people paying over the odds to see this next gig when it sells out.

I getcha, I'm a cnut for giving the touts money ;)....

Nah end of the day you're right, I wasn't happy giving them the E200 but there wasn't a hope I was missing this gig. The Olympia gig was one of a kind, unmissable imo.

Everyone has their obsessions, I'd pay anything to see the Gallaghers / Paul McCartney, after that I'm 'face value or no thanks.' I think most people will pay over the odds (if they can afford it) for something they have a serious passion for. I know you're a broke student, we've all been there, but some day soon you'll be able to splash the cash on **** like this. :D

Defo get your ticket sorted via pre-sale for the o2 gig. It WILL sell out, although I'm not sure how quick. I can't see tickets reaching E200 quid as the o2 is a much larger venue than Olympia.

Everyone get to your local ticketmaster outlet and start baiting NG touts! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Just for future reference, as I posted here ^^^, I got two standing tickets from Ticketmaster on the Friday before the gig (and I posted it here, trying to help fellow fans out)

That message you get which says 'Please try nearer the time as tickets are often made available shortly before the gig'

Would you believe it - it is true.

I tried maybe 20 times at various times on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and eventually got lucky (I bought the two tickets separately at a 10 minute interval)

Skid wrote: »
    Just for future reference, as I posted here ^^^, I got two standing tickets from Ticketmaster on the Friday before the gig (and I posted it here, trying to help fellow fans out)

That message you get which says 'Please try nearer the time as tickets are often made available shortly before the gig'

Would you believe it - it is true.

I tried maybe 20 times at various times on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and eventually got lucky (I bought the two tickets separately at a 10 minute interval)

You. Lucky. Cnut. :D:D

Saw your message, today, too late, but fair fcuks to ya anyway! It is appreciated man!

• Advertisement

Defo get your ticket sorted via pre-sale for the o2 gig. It WILL sell out, although I'm not sure how quick. I can't see tickets reaching E200 quid as the o2 is a much larger venue than Olympia.

Everyone get to your local ticketmaster outlet and start baiting NG touts! :D

I'll try the pre-sale anyway but if it doesn't work out I'm pretty sure I'll still get a ticket.

I failed to get a RHCP ticket via pre-sale and the morning they went on general sale I turned up at my nearest ticketmaster outlet. I got GA standing even though all the tickets were sold out in 25 seconds, so I'm sure it will be fine for Noel Gallagher at the same venue.

Advertisement