Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yamaha Virago

• 02-08-2011 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I'm thinking of getting a bike...

Cruiser, 125cc, possibly a Virago... I've seen one online for e1000 and it's in pretty near perfect condition and taxed until 4/12. I'll be on a provisional license and will book in for the IBT obviously too, but, is the Virago a good choice and is that a good price? Seems to have very low mileage too, 00 reg. I'll just be using the bike as an alternative to buses really, and maybe the odd runaaround to Carlow, but not sure of teh range of the bike...

I leave myself at the mercy of your experience, and also, Message Board trolling.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Would you go for a 250cc? Those 125cc cruisers are very slow. The 250's are a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l.m

Hi
    I was looking for a 125 Virago too and ended up with a Dragstar :). I love it and spend every day I can on it. If you can consider a 250cc but a 125cc is good too. The yamaha Virago is similar to the Yamaha Dragstar. They are very nice bikes and recommended starter cruisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

agree with above, go for a 250. a few weeks on the 125 and you'll be kicking yourself you didn't go a bit bigger. next size up (535) will be too big and needs restricting for provo licence. 250 has a nice bit of poke and should keep you happy for a while.

would also recommend the dragstar 250 as previous poster. Started on a 250 dragstar myself, great little bike starting out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

agree with above, go for a 250. a few weeks on the 125 and you'll be kicking yourself you didn't go a bit bigger. next size up (535) will be too big and needs restricting for provo licence. 250 has a nice bit of poke and should keep you happy for a while.

would also recommend the dragstar 250 as previous poster. Started on a 250 dragstar myself, great little bike starting out on.

Pretty sure the provo license restricts to 125 cc.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

brianblaze wrote: »
    I'll just be using the bike as an alternative to buses really, and maybe the odd runaaround to Carlow, but not sure of teh range of the bike...

for around town a 125 would be fine but if your planning on doing anything else get a 250. 125 cruisers are too slow for main roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

125cc cruisers are heavy, slow, rustbuckets. The Varadero 125 is a much better commuter and you can put a Givi box on the back to keep your helmet and gloves in while your in work or the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

125cc cruisers are heavy, slow, rustbuckets. The Varadero 125 is a much better commuter and you can put a Givi box on the back to keep your helmet and gloves in while your in work or the shops.

I agree. Have a varadero for 2 weeks now and loving it. Happily cruises at 60mph, gets to 70 eventually if needed.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Would you go for a 250cc? Those 125cc cruisers are very slow. The 250's are a much better job.

So on an A1 provisional, can I drive a 250cc? On the Citizens Information site it says up to 125cc, but also says 25kw? Je suis confused....

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Are you under 18? If your older you should get an A provisional. It'll allow you a better range of bikes

Are you under 18? If your older you should get an A provisional. It'll allow you a better range of bikes

I'm 27, doing the theory on Saturday... I just clicked 'mopeds and motorcycles.' Ahhh crap, did I mess up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭gipi

I think it's the same theory test, just remember to tick the A category when you apply for the learner's permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

brianblaze wrote: »
    I'm 27, doing the theory on Saturday... I just clicked 'mopeds and motorcycles.' Ahhh crap, did I mess up?
    no it's the same test, just make sure you apply for A, not A1.
    You'll be restricted based on a power to weight ratio. You seem to be looking at cruisers which are generally heavy so you will have a decent choice of bikes / cc's to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

It'll be grand. I cocked it up when i sent off for my provisional and said A1. When I got it I realised and they sorted it because the theory test is the same. So just tick A on the application form when you're filling it out in the motortax office

Advertisement