Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AM3+ or SandyBridge or wait for..?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Guys I m still on S775 :eek:

Always waiting for some new better awsome platform and never got updated.. now seriously

--> is AM3+ ready to take next gen CPU (=Bulldozer)?
    --> what is next gen CPU for LGA1155 if need upgrade in a year?

Thinking to get quiet 4-core micro-ATX build in smaller case which is also compatible and scalable in the future.
    No need for CrossFire or SLI.
    USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb are must.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini, this is decided already since it eats full size GPU and has big fans for cooling. Also possible water cooling. Cost 78eur.

Now..
    1. Intel i5 2500k + ASRock Z68 Pro3-M LGA1155 = 270eur
    OR
    2. AMD Phenom II Black Edition X4 965 + ASUS M5A88-M AM3+ 880G = 187eur

Sub-question..
    is this Corsair Dominator-GT 4GB-kit 2133Mhz memory worth 30eur premium over this 8GB-kit Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

How much money do you have for this? What are you going to be using it for? What are your current specs?

No idea about AMD's sockets, so I'll leave that one.
    Intel has socket 2011 coming around November. It's their 1366 replacement. Will be overkill for your build though. Better off waiting for 1356, if you want to wait at all.

i5, hands down.

None worth mentioning, get the Vengeance kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Serephucus wrote: »
    How much money do you have for this? What are you going to be using it for? What are your current specs?

No idea about AMD's sockets, so I'll leave that one.
    Intel has socket 2011 coming around November. It's their 1366 replacement. Will be overkill for your build though. Better off waiting for 1356, if you want to wait at all.

i5, hands down.

None worth mentioning, get the Vengeance kit.

Budget is max 400eur including MB, CPU, RAM and case.

Requirements:
    - Build will sit in living room so requirement is not-to-hear-fans while watching 720p movies
    - Photo editing and occasional short video editing
    - Motorsport games/sims should run smoothly on 1680 resolution! like F1 2010 and DIRT 2/3..

Have to google socket 1366, whats that?
    Just would like to go AMD road.. seems cheaper tbh if just AM3+ does the trick by supporting Bulldozers?

oh yes got g.Skill Phoenix Pro SSD as hard drive and ATI HD6850 quiet GPU.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

AM3+ is the bulldozer platform (it is just backwards compatible with AM3 CPUs). Ivybridge, due in Q2 2012 will be sticking with the 1155 socket, and certain current 6 series chipsets will be compatible with the newer CPUS (H61, H67, P67 and Z68 according to this) so either way you should have upgrade paths available.

The AMD route would be cheaper, but the 2500K is one of the best CPUs out on the market currently. It'll blow anything AMD has to offer out of the water (with the exception of their hexa-core parts, in certain circumstances). Also, rumour is that Bulldozer is really not going to be that great at all. I think only about a 15% jump over their current line or something.

Thanks both! Just looking here and 2500k leads significantly so I guess it's worth 65eur premium.. well dunno, important is that both AM3+ and 1155 are future proof.

What about..
    Does 2500k's integrated graphics run 720p movies? and if so, is there an automatic switch (or smthg) to turn off discrete GPU?

and..
    which setup is less power hungry? I m buying 600w-650w 80 Plus Bronze PSU

• Advertisement

2500K's graphics should be fine for 720P movies. If you get a Z68 board, you can switch between the two, but I'm not sure if you can do that on the fly or not.

You won't need a 650W PSU for that build. You'd be fine with a 450-500W one. In fact, you'd be better off with a lower wattage one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The AMD route would be cheaper, but the 2500K is one of the best CPUs out on the market currently. It'll blow anything AMD has to offer out of the water (with the exception of their hexa-core parts, in certain circumstances). Also, rumour is that Bulldozer is really not going to be that great at all. I think only about a 15% jump over their current line or something.

The benchmarks that were leaked some time ago were fake so nobody knows for sure what sort of performance can be expected as of yet (Although the latest delays and Sysmark benchmarking controversies could certainly be interpreted as indicators of less than expected performance ).

That said I would have to agree that unless the OP can afford to wait untill the rumoured September launch to find out for sure what Bulldozer brings to the table (presuming no more delays AMD :rolleyes:), if buying now I would also go with the proven i5-2500K.

(Also September is only an initial launch the highest end Bulldozer CPUs supposedly aren't actually due until Q1 2012).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭weisses

Also read that AMD will launch a 10 core cpu on a new socket next year ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

weisses wrote: »
    Also read that AMD will launch a 10 core cpu on a new socket next year ....

Intel Xeons already have 10 cores.

Was placed in context with OP worries of am3 socket beying futureproof

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Was placed in context with OP worries of am3 socket beying futureproof

The AMD 10 core will likely go in a new socket anyway, so it's irrelevant.
    Zambezi will be replaced by Komodo (up to 10 cores). Komodo will feature Turbo Core 3.0 under the newer Socket FM2 format

The AMD 10 core will likely go in a new socket anyway, so it's irrelevant.

So they will make new cpu's for the AM3 andFM2 socket?

I (mistakenly) thought the FM2 would replace the AM3 :o

So they will make new cpu's for the AM3 andFM2 socket?

I (mistakenly) thought the FM2 would replace the AM3 :o

It is really a replacement for both the current FM1 and AM3+ sockets.

Socket FM1 is a for their existing CPU arctitecture + on die GPU, AM3+ is for the new CPU architecture (Bulldozer). You could argue both have replaced AM3, FM1 for the casual/mainstream and AM3+ for the gamer/enthusiast market.

The next logical step, which is what the FM2 platform will be doing is to equip the second generation of Bulldozers with an on die GPU.

Very messy but they probably had no choice in fairness, at least from FM2 onwards there should be a return to the usual AMD socket stability.

2500K's graphics should be fine for 720P movies. If you get a Z68 board, you can switch between the two, but I'm not sure if you can do that on the fly or not.

You won't need a 650W PSU for that build. You'd be fine with a 450-500W one. In fact, you'd be better off with a lower wattage one.

Z68 is gooood then! Maybe IvyBridge will also be possible with BIOS update then but that's not must.. its so hard to plan hardware upgrades further than 1-2 years anyway.. missing AMD Socket A times :P

PSU then BQT E8-CM-580W looks the best choice for my build 88eur. Tbh didn't hear much about this brand but its Seasonic internals apparently, or was it AcBel.. doh lost link now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

freestyla wrote: »
    PSU then BQT E8-CM-580W looks the best choice for my build 88eur. Tbh didn't hear much about this brand but its Seasonic internals apparently, or was it AcBel.. doh lost link now

It's FSP.

The modular 600W golden green is only a few euro more.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33060

Monotype wrote: »
    It's FSP.

The modular 600W golden green is only a few euro more.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=33060

Aye FSP. thats good too isn't it.

What about this Super Flower SF-600P14XE now.. quality too? and quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

FSP used to be good, but slid in recent years in comparison to the better PSUs. It's a high quality unit though and seems to perform well so you'd be very safe with it.

This German review says the golden green is quiet.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=es&langpair=de%7Cen&rurl=www.google.com&u=http://www.systechnology.de/reviews/netzteile/1225-super-flower-golden-green-sf-600p14xe-netzteil

You don't need one rated for that kind of power, so you could save some money if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

And AMD Opteron's already have 12.....

And neither are meant for consumer desktops....

Intel road again.. should be fine for 3 years, maybe will need to add more and faster memory at some point + upgrade gfx from present ATI 6850.

Sum: 473,84 €
    Article No. HV20I5K5DE entfernen Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch 173,97 €
    173,97 €
    Article No. HV1131RADE entfernen ASRock Z68 Pro3-M (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch 92,81 €
    92,81 €
    Article No. HV203FD5DE entfernen FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Arc Mini, mATX StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch 76,30 €
    76,30 €
    Article No. HVR580E8DE entfernen be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER CM BQT E8-CM-580W StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch 88,05 €
    88,05 €
    Article No. HV20EX12DE entfernen 4GB-Kit DDR3 Exceleram Rippler PC12800/1600, CL6 StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch 42,71 €
    42,71 €

Exceleram I choose relying on the fact it should run CL6 @ 1600mhz but couldn't find any reviews so this is the most exciting part here. Any info on this one is much appreciated?
    Maybe 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL8 would be better choice for 20eur extra?

Another interesting thing is to hear this inaudible PSU in action :rolleyes:

Those timings aren't as good as you'd think. Sure, it's CL6, but the timings are actually 6-9-9-24. Not 6-6-6-18 as you'd expect. It's up to you, really RAM doesn't make that much of a difference. I'd stick with the cheaper set.

• Advertisement

Those timings aren't as good as you'd think. Sure, it's CL6, but the timings are actually 6-9-9-24. Not 6-6-6-18 as you'd expect. It's up to you, really RAM doesn't make that much of a difference. I'd stick with the cheaper set.

Ok so CL6 could be hoax, just for ads maybe.

Their tech support answered email pretty fast claiming this RAM is working on LGA1155 too the same way works on 1156 boards. CL9 is expected for AMD boards according them.

I would probably try 6-8-8- or 7-8-8- timings and if it goes up to 1650mhz or so if I care ocing. Would be nice to see some comparison..

Advertisement