Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't give a reference.

Options
  • 02-08-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I went with my friend today to rent a house.
    She had to leave her old house because she was having major problems with the landlord. The heating/shower/alarm and others was broke and he wouldn't fix them. The house was falling apart.
    She took good care of the house always paid on time, even decorated it (with his permission)

Now she has left, she has gone to get another house and they won't give it to her without a ref. The old landlord is refusing to co-operate and won't give one!

Is there anything that she can do to get a house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Explain to the new landlord that the old one is refusing to give a reference. Ask him/her what he/she would accept. Maybe a reference from work plus proof that rent payments were made on time each month (bank statement etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

axer wrote: »
    Explain to the new landlord that the old one is refusing to give a reference. Ask him/her what he/she would accept. Maybe a reference from work plus proof that rent payments were made on time each month (bank statement etc).

We asked the agent could we do that, but they said that the owner ordered him not to take any tenants without a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't understand that landlord because in fairness landlord references are very easy to fake. I'd much rather accept work and bank references than a letter that could be written by a mate claiming to be landlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

^^ maybe if someone on here could give you some sort of subtle hint on what to do ^^ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

sounds like an agency. i f**king hate agencies.
    all the hoops they make you jump through for the privelege of renting from them.

do yourself a favor and find a decent landlord you can deal face to face with.

that or do a fake reference tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

subway wrote: »
    all the hoops they make you jump through for the privelege of renting from them.

Move on to the next house, supply and demand, there are far more empty houses than people in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

im a landlord, i never ever use letting agents. they dont work over the weekend when most tenants want to see houses. and basically they dont give a feck. most of the pictures and write ups they do are awful. and they charge you an arm and a leg.
    i much prefer to meet tenants myself and have never had any major issues.
    i would say forge the reference.
    im also renting myself at the moment and i purposely never ever go through an agent. i always only go to see houses where i deal with the landlord and cut out the middle man.
    I went through an agency once and here is what happened.
    I said upfront that i have a dog. Agency said , no probs thats fine.
    Said it again before i signed lease, all fine
    Signed lease and had them write it in that i had a dog. All good.
    Moved in, and the landlady came down to say hello and was in shock when she saw the dog. The agency had not told her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

murf313 wrote: »
    ^^ maybe if someone on here could give you some sort of subtle hint on what to do ^^ :D
    I suggested that. But she was afraid that she would get caught!
    subway wrote: »

Yes, both the new and the old were agencies.
    She got a Reference in the end. She called into the old agencies office and was greeted by a temp. She was told that the receptionist and agent are gone on holidays as of yesterday.

The temp didn't know that they wernt going to give a ref and when asked for one she just gave it.

The reason that they wouldnt give the ref is because of this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73452264&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post73452264

She was having a lot of problems and the lease didn't say 30 notice etc so she left.

Advertisement