Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some movie soundtracks....

Options
  • 02-08-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for soundtracks. One of my favourite ones of recent times is Inception (used to death on TV :D). I suppose I'm looking more for orchestral-score type soundtracks (Last of the Mohicans is another good one) instead of collections of songs (although I love the Pulp Fiction one).

Oh, and I'm forgetting my favourite of all time, The Piano........... anymore like this and I'd love to hear about them...............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Sunshine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Check out Philip Glass, brilliant composer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Tron Legacy - Listening as I type, brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Sunshine.

+1 on this, it is just fantastic.

I'll add Kick-Ass the Score, just brilliant. Also 28 Weeks later is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Check out the Into the Wild soundtrack. Its class!
    Also the I am Sam soundtrack is well worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Atonement. Oscar winner a few years back. Any score that uses the clacking of type-writer keys as a musical cue deserves a mention :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

The Mission is an all time classic soundtrack. Some fantastic scores in their.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Anything by Hans Zimmer. Your looking for Scores more than the actual sound track if your looking for the orchestra music.

Steve Joblinski's score for the First Transformers movie was excellent also so worth looking that up on youtube to see do you like before you buy. Have a look for the score "Arrival to earth"

The score to Black Hawk Down and sunshine are excellent too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

daycent wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for soundtracks. One of my favourite ones of recent times is Inception

Yeah I listen to the Inception soundtrack a lot myself too, the Dark Knight rumbles along at a faster pace, Hans Zimmer also.

Personally the Bladerunner sountrack from Vangelis is my favourite.

If you want something a bit western themed Nick Cave did the soundtrack to 'The Asassination of Jesse James' which is also amazing.

Aliens is good in parts...James Horner I think

Yeah, these are all scores or whatever......

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Ennio Morricone is the man

check out The Mission Soundtrack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Hear are ten soundtracks that I think everyone should own. I have my classic favourites...such as superman...the mission...the piano...but im going to presume that everyone already owns them

10. The Rock - hans Zimmer.

9. I am legend

8. Spy Game - Harry Gregson Williams

7. Gladiator - hans Zimmer

6. Unbreakable - James Newton Howard

5. The Fountain - Clint Mansell

4. King Arthur - Hans zimmer

3. The Untouchables - Ennio Morricone

2.Forrest Gump - alan Silvestri

1. Once upon a time in america - Ennio Morricone

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Tron Legacy, Requiem For a Dream (anything from Clint Mansell really), X-Men First Class, There Will Be Blood, Dark Knight. All of them are pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

There is a wealth of material in Morricone's ouevre that is worth checking out. As much of it was written for Italian cinema it is not well known here.

Ipecac released a two disc set called 'Crime and Dissonance' compiled by Mike Patton. It contains a lot of his more experimental compositions, and is full of really imaginative stuff. I also picked up the soundtrack he scored for a film called 'Escalation' which is pleasingly odd, and brilliantly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Just had my iPod on shuffle on all songs and 'Twisted Nerve' by Bernard Herrmann from the Kill Bill Vol. 1 Soundtrack came on and it struck me how good an album it is; half way through listening to it for the first time in ages, and it's simply an amazing album. Disturbing, calming and uplifting all at the same time, perfectly captures the tone of the movie...

Any soundtracks out there that you love?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Davyhal wrote: »
    Just had my iPod on shuffle on all songs and 'Twisted Nerve' by Bernard Herrmann from the Kill Bill Vol. 1 Soundtrack came on and it struck me how good an album it is; half way through listening to it for the first time in ages, and it's simply an amazing album. Disturbing, calming and uplifting all at the same time, perfectly captures the tone of the movie...

Any soundtracks out there that you love?!
    Are we talking soundtrack or score here?
    I'm sick of seeing an OST CD for a movie and it turns out to be the score only.
    Songs are usually not considered part of the film's score, although songs do also form part of the film's soundtrack
    I'm not a fan of socres outside of the film, they lack the visual element for me.
    OST, I have a few that I like but it is difficult to beat ride of the valkeries or the end (both from Apocalypse now).

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I'm not sure about other posters, but I am referring to soundtracks as a whole, not just score... I hadn't seen this thread but I'm glad that mod merged mine here, just so I can +1 Into the Wild soundtrack, Definitely some of Eddie Vedder's best work

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Thanks for the replies, plenty of stuff here to check out...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Soundtracks are brilliant, especially if you need something to listen for studying, or just starting into study. There are few things to note though, firstly not all officially released soundtracks include the actual soundtrack in the film. A very popular example of this would be the Pirates of The Carribbean. Which has whole character leitmotifs and battle tracks missing. In this regard 'pirated' soundtracks can include tunes that are otherwise just not available. The thing is though these "pirated" tracks are usually, not always, just excerpts from the movie with the voices filtered out. A good example of this is the track "The Surface of the Sun" from the sunshine soundtrack. The official version that was released and is available on Itunes, is much crisper and smoother (especially if you are using a very high quality sound system). In the 'extracted' version you can very faintly hear Capa's breath and other background noises. In the official version you have a lovely crisp tune with a beautiful voice over that makes it even more emotional. Always get the official version first and preferably legitimately. If there is a particular track missing from it that you miss, consider emailing the composer (I'm serious, John Murphy and Klaus Badelt actually sent me CDs!) don't go wasting your time trawling through Needle's in a haystacks on pirate sites because often times many downloads that claim to be "official" versions aren't and in the worse case there are compilation of both official tracks and excerpts. It's simply not worth the effort.

tl;dr The original tracks are always the best, the blends excerpted from movies aren't and might make you dislike tracks you may otherwise adore.

Here be some tunes that you may like, love or hate. (As hard as it was, I limited it to one per movie franchise)
    Apollo 13 End Titles.

Transformers : The All Spark.

The Island : My Name is Lincoln.

Inception : Time.

Sunshine : The Surface of the Sun.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets : Fawkes the Phoenix.

Black Hawk Down - Main Theme.

Home Alone - Somewhere in my memory (Best keep this one for Christmas.)

Star Wars Episode II : Attack of The Clones - Across the Stars

Braveheart -For the Love of a Princess.

Pirates of the Caribbean : At World's End - Up is Down.

The Chronicles of Narnia : The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - The Battle.

The Lord of The Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring - There and Back again.

Gladiator : Now We Are Free.

Shrek - Fairytale

Armageddon : The Launch.

Spiderman : Main Theme.

The Rock : Fort Walton To Kansas.

Also, might I suggest looking into trailer music too? Kinda
    going off topic here so I'll keep it brief. Immediate Music, X-Ray Dogg and Two Steps from Hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

Amilie has a great sound track and Lord of the rings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The Magnificent seven, Dr Zhivago, oh brother where art thou is a cracker, and Requim for a dream, used all over the place, even in Lotr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Gabriel Yared is also worth a listen to. He's got an Oscar and a Grammy for The English Patient and had 2 other Oscar nominations. I love his Betty Blue soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Requim for a dream, used all over the place, .

Such a shame too, because I'm now so accustomed to hearing it that I wish I could just erase it from memory and experience it fresh. Nowadays, I don't even listen to it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The Social Network OST is seriously good.

Grooveshark link: http://grooveshark.com/#/album/The+Social+Network/5044218

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Of those that havnt been mentioned

Damon Albarn & Michael Nymans score for Ravenous is awesome.

As is Christopher Young's work on the first couple of Hellraiser movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

For Hans Zimmer (a genius at the soundtrack), you should check Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, The Last Samurai, The Rock, Batman Begins, Batman The Dark Knight. Give Modern Warfare 2 OST a go.

Stephen Jablonsky's scores are fantastic. Transformers 1, is one of my all time favourite scores. Transformers 2 is good, but weak compared to 1. I haven't heard much of the third one, but what I have sounds good.

Harry Gregson-Williams is very strong too. The Town is fantastic and Unstoppable is a good set of music. Metal Gear Solid is famous too.

Brian Tyler's works on Eagle Eye and Battle: Los Angeles are good, but the latter the best of the two.

Howard Shore of the LOTR fame well worth a mention.

Micheal Kamen's work on Band of Brothers is nice in a minimalist way. Jesper Kyd's effort on Assassin's Creed is particularly good.

John Powell's score from all three Bournes are excellent and in my favourites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Donnie Darko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Malty_T wrote: »
    Here be some tunes that you may like, love or hate. (As hard as it was, I limited it to one per movie franchise)
    Sunshine : The Surface of the Sun.

If I had to pick one from Sunshine it would be Kanada's Death, pt.2, just an awesome piece of music. John Murphy is fantastic, there is literally nothing he has done that I haven't liked and that's very cool he sent you CD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

My favourite soundtrack is Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris. From sweeping epics to romantic chamber music, it has it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Fantastic piece from The Tree of Life.

Oh and one of the best..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Gladiator, LOTR, Reservoir Dogs, Lost in Translation all have excellent sound tracks. Requiem for a dream by Clint Mansell is immense. But the king has to be Ennio Morricone. Check out his best of album. There is some truly magnificent music there. Good shout with Into the Wild also. An excellent film and soundtrack.

Advertisement