Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird issue with wireless channels on UPC router

Options
  • 02-08-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Some advice here - our UPC Cisco wireless router/modem keeps resetting itself.

This is irritating because the only way any of laptops or phones can connect to the thing is if it is manually set to Wireless Channel 7. If it is set to auto then none of our devices can pick the wireless network up.

Now, I initially thought this was due to wireless interference. But I was messing around with another router (a Netgear one bought for parents) and this can be seen by all our devices, set to auto.

I called UPC to suggest there was a problem with the router but they weren't having any of it. This is seriously irritating cos this means that every time the router is unplugged or any time the router resets itself (at least once a day) then I have to hook up a laptop by cable and manually go into the router and set the wireless channel to seven.

It's irritating for me - my wife won't do it meaning if I'm not around it's a pain in the ass.

Any suggestions/advice?

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Some advice here - our UPC Cisco wireless router/modem keeps resetting itself.

This is irritating because the only way any of laptops or phones can connect to the thing is if it is manually set to Wireless Channel 7. If it is set to auto then none of our devices can pick the wireless network up.

Now, I initially thought this was due to wireless interference. But I was messing around with another router (a Netgear one bought for parents) and this can be seen by all our devices, set to auto.

I called UPC to suggest there was a problem with the router but they weren't having any of it. This is seriously irritating cos this means that every time the router is unplugged or any time the router resets itself (at least once a day) then I have to hook up a laptop by cable and manually go into the router and set the wireless channel to seven.

It's irritating for me - my wife won't do it meaning if I'm not around it's a pain in the ass.

Any suggestions/advice?

Cheers,
    Quad

This is a well know "feature" of this machine. A friend of mine had UPC bb installed a few weeks ago and this started happening within 30 minutes of the installer leaving!. there is a very long thread on this machine in the main bb forum but I will leave this here in case others are experiencing this problem and not aware of the main thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146473

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

dub45 wrote: »
    This is a well know "feature" of this machine. A friend of mine had UPC bb installed a few weeks ago and this started happening within 30 minutes of the installer leaving!. there is a very long thread on this machine in the main bb forum but I will leave this here in case others are experiencing this problem and not aware of the main thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146473

Thanks dub45

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I had the same problem. If it was restarted twice the router went back to channel 1 which wasn't being picked up by my iTouch or Win7 laptop, I had to manually set the channel to '6' to get connected.

What used to happen was that on the first restart the 'New Channel' setting changed to 'Auto' and the 'Current Channel' stayed on '6' so everything continued to work no problem but on the next restart the 'Current Channel' changed to 1 and then my wireless devices couldn't connect.

However I checked it just now and the 'New Channel' setting is still at '6' even though I was away on Sunday and switched the router off so it looks like it came back up at channel 6 which is a first. It's possible there has been a s/w refresh which allows the machine to remember the channel if it was manually set i.e. it set to something other than 'auto'.

It was definitely a bug when the user manually set the channel only for the box to go back to Auto and pick it's own channel which was clearly not what the user wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Some while ago UPC were allowing people having trouble with the Cisco to revert to the separate modem and router they were previously installing, a Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 modem and a Netgear WGR614 router. I don't know if they still do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The friend of mine who was having problems with the Cisco which I mentioned above was telling me earlier today that the problem now seems to be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, it has been fixed. Yesterday I switched off the router and when it came back the 'New Channel' and 'Current Channel' were both still on '6' so the setting is now persistent, must have been fixed in a recent firmware upgrade.

Advertisement