Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"LIVE ON SPIKE" - SUNDAY 7TH AUGUST

Options
  • 02-08-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I just lifted this from the Cork County Council site re. Spike Island. I was at the "Damhsafest" a few weeks back - it was such a brilliant day out, from the boat ride to/from Spike - the island was a fantastic venue - sitting in the square, you just absorb the history of your surroundings. I can't wait to get back there next Sunday for the Concerts. I couldn't believe there was a cafe there, mind you I'll still bring my picnic (but prefer my coffee freshly brewed vs. a flask ) I heard there are limited tickets, anyone else heading there???

‘Live on Spike’ - Featuring Music from The Frank and Walters,
    Ken Cotter and Mark Slade and other well-known Cork Artists.
    Bring a Picnic. Boats leave Kennedy Pier in Cobh at 11.30am until
    1.30pm and return from 5.30pm.
    [Boat trips for the free events are €10 per adult and €5 per child, or a
    family ticket is €25. Tickets available from the Kiosk on Kennedy Pier in
    Cobh or Cobh Heritage Centre – The Queenstown Story. The Spike Island
    Walking Tours are not included in these prices.]

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Sounds ok.
    What are the tours like now?
    I was on it back when it opened first, has great potential but the tour I was on was quite limited. I would have liked to explore more

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

The tour is separate to the concerts - but I went on a tour a few weeks ago, it was done by Christy from the Heritage Centre - and I loved it. The old stories had me fascinated, I think the place is a hidden gem - I agree it has a lot of potential - but I suppose it's getting the money in to continue with the restoration work. But I was in the old cells, newer cells, the gunnery (or whatever it's called where the cannon is). And as I said earlier there's a cafe, so you can get a cuppa whilst there - and it's somewhere to shelter if it rains. The day I did the tour the place was packed.

When I was there for the dancing a few weeks back, there were some delays with boats - so those that were delayed got an "extra" little historical excursion, what a treat.

Anyway - I think I've become a "Spikey" - I just love the place. Mind you I've been looking at it from my house for 8 years now - and couldn't believe what I "didn't know"

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

now a weekend gig on spike like oxygen would be awesome ....

Advertisement