Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climbs in the Ring of Kerry

• 02-08-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I've done the ROK, is there anything other than Moll's in the near vicinity of Sneem/Kenmare?

Note, I'm on a short leash as it's our wedding anniversary...and we're bringing the kids.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Gap of dungloe. Cycle through this and then there is a big long climb in up to molls gap in the opposite direction to the ring of kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lots of climbs.
    Ballaghbeama: From Kenmare cycle up Molls Gap, and at top turn left for Sneem. After cycling for 20km you will come to a right turn marked Glencar and Ballaghisheen.
    Ballaghiseen starts out as a drag for a few KM. Then it rises almost 140m in under 2km. Last half a km is at 15%.
    You can descend down to Glencar Valley, say for 7km. Then at a junction turn left for Ballaghbeama.
    Ballaghisheen: Climb for about 5km. The first 3km are nothing but a drag. Last 2km are steep, around 8-12%. Gets up to 310m.

At Molls Gap head for Gap of Dunloe by descending into Black Valley. The the ascent up to the Gap of Dunloe from Black Valley is a 3km climb. Parts steady, parts steep. Mind the horse and carts and the walkers.

If you know the ROK route, then you know the descent to Killarney. Coming from the Killarney side the climb up past Ladies View is rewarding.

From Kenmare in the Glengariff direction you have a choice of
    Caha Pass (21km from Kenmare) a 6km climb at 4.5%.

Priests Leap: 4.5km at 9%, parts 20%+. Hell on earth.

Kenmare to Kilgarvan (11km), turn right for Borlin Valley. A beautiful 10km drag up to 380m.

Beyond Kilgarvan turn right at Morleys Bridge and head up the Top Of Coom. Nice and steady for first few km with plenty of flat parts. Last 2km it ramps up a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

+1 for Ballaghisheen, climbed it last Friday from the Waterville side, and the descent and loop around lough Carragh afterwords is spectacular. Posted a couple of shots of it here but they don't start to do it justice. I left the N70 just after it crosses the Inny river at Waterville, all small roads with very little traffic, and some great spots for a family spin as well.

I was also with the wife and kids, and time constrained, but found the Ballaghisheen spin to be well worth the effort. Take 'em all kayaking afterwords in Ballinaskelligs or Derrynane beach to make a great day of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Thanks Lads,

I'm in Parknasilla. I'll be stuck for time, so I was thinking Sneem - Molls - Gap - Killarney - Kenmare - Sneem.

And if I get out twice, I'll head straight for this Priest's Leap place I've seen ROK mention a few times. I've just remembered I did the Caha pass a few years ago (the one with tunnels at the top?).

So do I head for Glengariff, and is the turn near that touristy cottage place?

And if I get out twice, I'll head straight for this Priest's Leap place I've seen ROK mention a few times. I've just remembered I did the Caha pass a few years ago (the one with tunnels at the top?).

So do I head for Glengariff, and is the turn near that touristy cottage place?

No, if you go to the toursity place (Molly Gallivans cottage), you have gone too far and are on the road to the tunnels.
    To get to Priests Leap, cycle out of Kenmare and head toward the tunnels. About 11km out of town you will turn left in a place called Bonane.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/587646

The turn is after Lorge Chocolate shop and before the school IIRC.

Honestly, if you are staying in Parknasilla and only have one definite cycle then do the following:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/587648
    100km, plenty of climbing. The climb up the side road from derrynane house to Coomakiste is mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I'm in Parknasilla. I'll be stuck for time, so I was thinking Sneem - Molls - Gap - Killarney - Kenmare - Sneem.
    That or ROK ONs GPS route would be good. If it's a good day bring a camera if you're into photos, especially for ROK ONs route. Tis fairly remote once you get off the the N70 - be sure to bring any spares you might need. If you hear banjo's, pedal harder...

Perfect, thanks lads. Priest Leap looks MEAN. What's the surface like?

Priests Leap is a boreen, barely wide enough to get a car up.
    Grass in the middle. Full of potholes, loose gravel and sheep sh1t.
    While the ascent is insanely difficult (for me), the descent is terrifying - and I like descending.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Honestly, if you are staying in Parknasilla and only have one definite cycle then do the following:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/587648
    100km, plenty of climbing. The climb up the side road from derrynane house to Coomakiste is mean.

Im just back from doing a week of cycling in kerry and cork and the route above is beautiful if you get the weather. some of the scenery was heart stopping. . i did the skellig drive as well which has one mean 20% climb from the portmagee side, but its worth it for the views. i even got a round of applause from some tourists when i got to the top :D... to be honest its all pretty spectacular around there so you cant go wrong

Lads, for ROK's route above, I'm definitely going to head for the two Ballaghs - would you recommend doing it clockwise or anticlockwise?

As I'm stuck for time, I'm looking for the harder route. ;)

• Advertisement

Lads, for ROK's route above, I'm definitely going to head for the two Ballaghs - would you recommend doing it clockwise or anticlockwise?

As I'm stuck for time, I'm looking for the harder route. ;)

The harder route.
    Leave Parknasilla and climb out of Sneem on the Molls Gap road. After 10km or so (and a small climb) turn left (signposted Glencar).
    The climb up Ballaghbeama is short and brutal. Also the descent into Glencar valley is safer.
    Long drag up to Ballaghisheen before the climb proper. It is equally tough either way I feel. Then a fast descent down before a long straight stretch into Waterville.
    Only thing about doing it this way is you miss out on the side road climb up Coomakiste from derrynane house. (However the first climb of the day is much tougher).
    Its a great route either direction.

The harder route.
    Leave Parknasilla and climb out of Sneem on the Molls Gap road. After 10km or so (and a small climb) turn left (signposted Glencar).
    The climb up Ballaghbeama is short and brutal. Also the descent into Glencar valley is safer.
    Long drag up to Ballaghisheen before the climb proper. It is equally tough either way I feel. Then a fast descent down before a long straight stretch into Waterville.
    Only thing about doing it this way is you miss out on the side road climb up Coomakiste from derrynane house. (However the first climb of the day is much tougher).
    Its a great route either direction.

Time was against me. Took the route you suggested towards Ballaghbeama this morning but had to turn back just at the bottom and pack the car for home.

Beautiful cycling country, I need to get back soon and finish the job.

Had a lovely spin from Glengariff to Parknasilla on Friday over the Caha pass.

Time was against me. Took the route you suggested towards Ballaghbeama this morning but had to turn back just at the bottom and pack the car for home.

Beautiful cycling country, I need to get back soon and finish the job.

Had a lovely spin from Glengariff to Parknasilla on Friday over the Caha pass.
    You went to the bottom and had to turn back.

Yeak, likely story. The climb is only 1.5km - it wouldnt have taken that long to get up it.

You went to the bottom and had to turn back.

Yeak, likely story. The climb is only 1.5km - it wouldnt have taken that long to get up it.

Well I got to the cut-off time and couldn't see any climb. Figured if I started it, I'd have to finish it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Well I got to the cut-off time and couldn't see any climb. Figured if I started it, I'd have to finish it.....

The climb's just around the corner. Goes from being "This isn't so bad" to "holy sh*t" in the space of 50m.

Advertisement