Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 12:11pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like theres a few of these threads knocking around these days. :rolleyes:

Im moving to Dublin from Galway and im looking for an area to live. Ill be working out past Blanchardstown but I want to live somewhat in the city. My own thoughts are putting me around Drumcondra/Phibsborough area seeing as itd be easy enough to hope onto the N3 from there. Unfortunately ive been looking for a place around there for the past 2 weeks but found nothing id be happy with. Im relying heavily on daft to find me a place, but if theres an alternative let me know!

Ive seen a few lovely houses, but they all lacked something (Broadband, proper parking, mentally well housemates).

So, where should I live if I want to have an easy commute, but still live close to the city center (walk into town in about 15-20 mins)?

Cheers all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I recommend Stoneybatter. I've been living there for the past 2 and a half years and really like it. Great spot, nice pubs, small gigs on.

The Olaf Road/Viking Road area is the nicest (anywhere in 'Little Scandanavia' is good). Lovely little houses there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

blackhorse avenue and around Cabra would also be good

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I recommend Stoneybatter. I've been living there for the past 2 and a half years and really like it. Great spot, nice pubs, small gigs on.

The Olaf Road/Viking Road area is the nicest (anywhere in 'Little Scandanavia' is good). Lovely little houses there.
    I seen a few places in Stoneybatter on daft, looks nice enough. good to know the area is ok too.

Ill see what daft throws back at me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

I live just off infirmary road.. the whole area from phoenix park to smithfield is a pretty nice area to live in.. apart from the people that live here, i just feel that this part of dublin has a lot of character that i can't seem to see in any other part of the city... not to mention that with the vast expanse of phoenix park nearby you'll never be short of a break from the city in the tranquility of the park

I live just off infirmary road.. the whole area from phoenix park to smithfield is a pretty nice area to live in.. apart from the people that live here, i just feel that this part of dublin has a lot of character that i can't seem to see in any other part of the city..

Meaning? Dodge area or is that a dig at your housemates? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

oh no, what i meant was, the fact that most of the people are sound is a given.. cos it's true.. there's loads of sound people living in the area.. of course it has it's not so great areas, steer clear of o'devaney gardens or drumalee park

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Ashington is in the middle of town and blanch, and a nice area imo.

Drumcondra > Phibsboro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Drumcondra also opens up the option of getting the train out to Blanchardstown (well coolmine, 10 mins walk to the Blanchardstown Centre) depending on where you will be based.

I've no experience on what the traffic is like on the N3 these days but its something to bear in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Inchicore is good as well.

I used to live in the Bulfin Road/Anner Road estate. Very handy for getting to Blanch and no length from the Luas as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Gileadi wrote: »
    Drumcondra also opens up the option of getting the train out to Blanchardstown (well coolmine, 10 mins walk to the Blanchardstown Centre) depending on where you will be based.

I've no experience on what the traffic is like on the N3 these days but its something to bear in mind.

That's more like a 25min walk to the centre from coolmine station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

That's more like a 25min walk to the centre from coolmine station.

Through Coolmine woods? I think not... 15 if your quite slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I must be like a snail so.

Heading up today to have a look at a few places (i hope). Just seen one that was posted today in Smithfield, though I wonder is that just going to be a nightmare with traffic in the mornings/evenings?

Coolmine wouldnt do me, im working further out the N3 than blanch. Mullhuddart area actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wayno82

Mullhuddart is a part of blanch, its only 2 sets of lights from blanch shopping centre, Ashington/Kinvara/Blackhorses Ave, all of the navan rd are your best bet, there all 15-20 mins on the bus from city centre and about a tenner in a taxi to Temple Bar

Got a place, and of all days to move in, I chose today! (Dub vs Tyrone). Grand spot in Drumcondra, though ill have to look after my parking space when the matches are on. It got very crowded today when I came back from Ikea and was looking to park. Happy with my place though, nice people, handy to get onto the M50 (via N1) and not too far from town.

Cheers all, I think in the end it was just a case of patience and asking the right questions regarding who id be living with etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarahman

Im also moving from Galway to Dublin I had my heart set on a place i saw on daft in Smithfield but ive been hearing some negitive things? Im going to college in dbs and havent a clue of the surrounding area

Well smithfield has that whole smithfield horse fair shambles that went on last year. Gave it a bad auld name. No idea other than that though. Smithfield wasnt really an option for me considering where im working (traffic & the commute), though I did have 1 or 2 places lined up to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I wouldn't live on Smithfield Plaza. Too noisy by far.

Living nearby is ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

cabra! dont knock it till you've tried it

Advertisement