Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible failing hdd

Options
  • 02-08-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi there. 3 times inthe last week system mechanic has reported errors on hdd. Each time i repair them a day or 2 later more errors are reported. Its a 4 yr old dell system with 2*250 gig hdds in raid to make one 500gig drive.

Amvi right in thinking my drives are beginning to fail???

I have a spare 500 gig hdd and wonder is it possible take a sys image and copy to external drive. Boot the pc with a boot disk and install new hdd and copy the image form external hdd to new internal hdd. Or is there a better way???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Yup, sounds like a failing HDD/raid array.

Your best bet would just be a clean install of windows if possible to be totally honest, as Raid0 can be picky as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

Leman wrote: »
    Yup, sounds like a failing HDD/raid array.

Your best bet would just be a clean install of windows if possible to be totally honest, as Raid0 can be picky as hell.
    Clean install on a new drive i take it...

To use the windows key i have...do i need to have it deactivated to reinstall on a new drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Clean install on a new drive i take it...

To use the windows key i have...do i need to have it deactivated to reinstall on a new drive?

Didn't you know? A clean install of windows fixes all kinds of problems, even physical ones.

Yeah back up everything, and also check the warranty on those drives. You might be in luck, and be able to RMA them. If not, chalk it up to experience and get new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Now now, be nice. Not everyone can be super tech savy like me. :)

Yeah, you'll need to install onto the new drive. As for Windows keys and whatnot, I can't say, as I use a good OS myself (gogo GNU/Linux! :P)

Advertisement