Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp hive next door to mothers house.

• 02-08-2011 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. A couple of weeks ago my mother got pest control out to get rid of a wasp hive at the front of her house. It cost her 95 euro. No problem with that. The thing is, that her neighbours have had a wasp hive in the eves of the rear of their house for the past couple of months and refuse to get rid of it. The wasps continually come into my mothers house through the back windows and she has been stung a number of times in the past few weeks. She and my father are both 75 years of age and don't really need this stress. I would pay for it myself, but she doesn't want me interfering. Please note that her neighbours are very good friends. Is there anyone i can call to come and get rid of them ie. council etc? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

why are they refusing to get rid of the nest??? They dont sound like very good friends to refuse such a simple request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

I don't really want to rock the boat with her neighbours, but i just don't get it myself. It might be a money thing or something. They are elderly people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Could you sneak over at night and spray the nest?
    As the weather gets cooler, the wasps will get more contrary as they start to die off, which could lead to more stings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you can't sneak over and spray it yourself, set up a wasp trap or two near your parent's windows.

http://tipnut.com/wasp-trap/

You shouldn't be paying €95 euro to get rid of wasps though, all you need is a can of nest killing foam. There's ones you can buy that let you stand a good few feet away and let rip. Or you can always hose the nest with water if you've a decent one. Just remember to cover up well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Cheers. Might give that a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

irish_goat wrote: »
    If you can't sneak over and spray it yourself, set up a wasp trap or two near your parent's windows.

You shouldn't be paying €95 euro to get rid of wasps though, all you need is a can of nest killing foam. There's ones you can buy that let you stand a good few feet away and let rip. Or you can always hose the nest with water if you've a decent one. Just remember to cover up well.
    That trap looks a bit elaborate to me. We have often used an empty (but not cleaned out) jam jar, 3/4 fill it with water & let the wasps do the rest.

It is hard to believe how many wasps will meet their doom in one jar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

irish_goat wrote: »

just did that last week myself at my mother's house. the spray is like silly string and expands, so was easy to aim at the nest under the eaves. if money is a problem, ask your neighbours if you can do it yourself. the stuff i used cost about 8.50.

as someone else said, do it around dusk when activity around the nest is low.

also, if you go for the jar of water option, leave a small bit of jam near the surface of the water!

As others have said, a jamjar of water with a bit of jam (or as my neighbours used to use, jelly babies!) in it will usually drown the wasps, but I learned two years ago that wasps take a very, very long time to drown. I hate them, am petrified of them. Good luck OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

just did that last week myself at my mother's house. the spray is like silly string and expands, so was easy to aim at the nest under the eaves. if money is a problem, ask your neighbours if you can do it yourself. the stuff i used cost about 8.50.

as someone else said, do it around dusk when activity around the nest is low.

also, if you go for the jar of water option, leave a small bit of jam near the surface of the water!

Is this the stuff that kills the nest/absorbs moisture?
    where do you get it, can see wasps entering/leaving the attic at a small gap, dont want to trap them in there, prefer to get rid of/kill the nest.
    There are loads of them on the shed roof and they are eating what look like thousands of greenfly, I prefer not to get rid of them really but am concerned they will set up a permanent home in the attic

Advertisement