Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance quotation price

• 02-08-2011 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My house insurance is due for renewal shortly. I had a claim last July when the shower leaked. It was the first time I had ever claimed off my insurance since I bought my first house 17 years ago. I was expecting the worst but the quote from Zurich (who I claimed off) was €700, just €80 more than last year. I phoned round and 123.ie quoted me €560. I then thought I'd try the AA who have been bombarding us with letters to take out insurance with them as we are former customers.

Anyways, after going through all the questions, telling her about the claim etc, she went off to check her underwriters for a quote. She came back to me a few minutes later with a quote for €1,547, which was more than double the next dearest quote. I told her that 123.ie were almost a thousand euro cheaper and she said that's the best she could do. Looks like the AA don't like taking on customers who've made a claim, even people like me who've only ever made just the one claim in almost twenty years.

If that isn't a rip off, I don't know what is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

If that isn't a rip off, I don't know what is.

i'd call it competition, not a rip-off ... as you said you only got a quote from them and had other cheaper options.

If they were all the same price the accusations would be 'cartel' .... your example is a proof that there is a level of healthy competition in the home insurance market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Sorry but quoting a thousand euro more for the same cover is a complete rip off. Luckily I shop around but there might be some people who would have paid this.

Btw, It's not competition, it's just the AA trying to turn away people who have had the temerity to make a claim, or bleed them dry for being too lazy to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Sorry but quoting a thousand euro more for the same cover is a complete rip off. Luckily I shop around but there might be some people who would have paid this.

Btw, It's not competition, it's just the AA trying to turn away people who have had the temerity to make a claim, or bleed them dry for being too lazy to look elsewhere.

This is a rip off how ?

Its not like your forced to use them.

There was around a 1200 difference between companies when I was renewing my Car Insurance here in the Netherlands, same with the house.

Cover isn't always like for like either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Interestingly I just moved from Zurich to 123.ie

Renewal €550 from Zurich, 123.ie quoted €340.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

This is a rip off how ?

Its not like your forced to use them
    There is therefore no such thing as a rip off.

/forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

It might be uncompetitive but not a rip off. Insurance companies all have their own rates and underwriting limits and while some might seem off the wall, it might just signal their attitude to risk vs their desire to grow their book of business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

There is therefore no such thing as a rip off.

/forum

Or you can read the sticky on what a rip off actually is.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055799868

/thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

si_guru wrote: »
    Interestingly I just moved from Zurich to 123.ie

Renewal €550 from Zurich, 123.ie quoted €340.

i recently moved from FBD to 123.ie for home insurance, 80 quid cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

My renewal quote from EBS was €530, went with getcover.ie who quoted me €225 for same cover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Folks, just a word of caution.... when shopping around, the cheapest price is not necessarily the best value cover wise.
    check EXACTLY what you are covered for in the various policies, you might be surprised by the differences.

I previously had cover with Zurich, then moved to 123.ie as they were cheaper but discovered myself the hard way that all house insurance policies are not created equal.
    Chatting to a few different assessors that called to assess my claim the general consenus from them was that in their experience Zurich generally offered better policies from a coverage and customer service point of view and were less likely to totally ride you on renewal if you did make a claim.

Read what you are covered for, not just the bottom line price.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 zulukev

<SNIP> Nothing to do with original topic or Rip Off Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

zulukev wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Im not sure what this has to do with home insurance prices.

Its not a rip off. It may be corruption but is not a rip off

Advertisement