Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

main fuse gone and replacement not working ???

• 02-08-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi there ...
    Hope someone can help here or at least point me in the right direction.
    I have one of those Pyro clean ovens so Last night decided to clean the oven. After it being on for just over an hour the fuse tripped. I went to the fuse board (a new one - apt only 3 yrs old), and without turning off the cooker switch in the wall (d'oh), flicked the trip switch for the cooker - the whole lot blew then !! So of course I didn't have a spare fuse for the main fuse so I had no power which was no biggie as it was only for the night. Off I went to get a replacement fuse and stuck it on today and still nothing ... so now I have no power, and cause the pump is electric, I have no water either !!
    I called the electrician and he wasn't sure - said he'd have just replaced the fuse like I did and I suppose without him looking at it he can't tell ...And of course he's busy this evening and can't get to me till tomorrow. But have I missed something simple ?? Anyone any suggestions ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

You will need an electrician alright to solve this properly.

But what you can do in the mean time is switch the cooker switch beside the cooker off and then switch the cooker MCB/Fuse OFF in your fuse board and replace the MAIN 63A fuse with a new one turn the power back on again, you should get by till an electrician gets to you.
    Doing this should allow the rest of the apartment to function as normal without the cooker.

* Sound like when you where cleaning it you damaged or got connections wett in the cooker itself ( if it hasnt been damaged it may dry out )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Hi pieface,

Thanks for that, I'll give that a go - I hope to God it works.

Re Getting it wet - The oven I have is a pyro clean one so you don't have to clean it as such - You just turn it to the cleaning setting and it heats up to 350 degrees (or something around that) and literally burns it clean. It's the first time I used the cleaning function ... My mum has an oven like this and it's never happened so I'm wondering if it was wired correctly in the first place ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

it sounds like the esb fuse is gone... If replacin the main 63a fuse and still no power then it has to be the next fuse up which is the esb's fuse. Have seen this happen when the esb fuse is only rated at 60a instead of 80a....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It is most likely now that the esb fuse in the cutout blew under your meter. You will have to ring them to get them to come and replace it. They will ask have you confirmed your side first with an electrician, otherwise if its not their fuse, they might charge for the call out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

I see you mention your living in an apartment. Does your apartment block have a common area? There should be a cabinet here with all the esb meters in it and there is usually another customer 63amp mcb like your main one inside the apartment. This one may have tripped either. I have seen this many times. If thats not it then its the esb main fuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement