Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Ireland, need to get rid of my guns

• 02-08-2011 1:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭

I am leaving Ireland for good soon and need to get rid of my guns. I have tried the local dealers who doesn't want to know as they are not worth much at all. I don't want any money for them. Can I just hand them to the Gardaí and let them destroy them?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

what are they???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

what have you got.. you might get lads here to take/buy them rather than have them destroyed which, I think will cost you money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

It will cost you money to have them destroyed. Let us know what you have and I am sure someone can find them a good home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Hibrion wrote: »
    It will cost you money to have them destroyed. Let us know what you have and I am sure someone can find them a good home.

There is a debate and a half..... walk into the barracks and say Im going abroad and leave them there, its there problem, get on plane tomorrow job done. I know our local FO was taking in dodgy guns when farmers didnt want to license them because once they were handed in he had to get rid of them.

Try find a home first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

My advice is that you never surrender your guns.

With the economy the way it is today, I guarantee someone could use them. Think of the young lads too who want to get into the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

Shame to give them away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

what are they???
    I has a Remington 597 .22lr SA and a single barrel 12G Bakial.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A couple of suggestions for ya.
    • Find the value of both guns, half it and advertise them here, and any other gun site.
    • Get the value, half it and offer it to a dealer. They may take it knowing they can sell them cheaper than anyone else, but still make a quick quid on them.
    If you are not leaving for a few weeks/months then advertise them until you are almost ready to go. If they don't sell and you cannot get a dealer to take them then consider gifting them to a friend or family member.

I really wouldn't surrender them for destruction. If you are determined to get rid of them and do not care for the money an advert offering the firearms would certainly shift them and as FISMA said with the amount of young lads trying to get money together for a cheap, reliable gun you would be solving their problem and yours at once.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I had the same problem myself a few years ago...had a type 37 winchester and for love nor money I couldnt get rid of it...I would have given it away to someone serious bout it...three or four wasters examined it all over and made daft comments bout it..eventually had to get it destroyed ..cost me 50 euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

if your in a gun club maybe some other member has a son or daughter that wants to get their first gun and you could give it to them, saves you 50 quid and gets a newbie into the shooting scene, shame to destroy them if they are working well,
    also if you do end up destroying them hold onto the magazine of the rifle, i'm sure somebody here would give you some money for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

I am leaving Ireland for good soon and need to get rid of my guns. I have tried the local dealers who doesn't want to know as they are not worth much at all. I don't want any money for them. Can I just hand them to the Gardaí and let them destroy them?

ill take the 22lr:rolleyes: if its going:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I am leaving Ireland for good soon and need to get rid of my guns. I have tried the local dealers who doesn't want to know as they are not worth much at all. I don't want any money for them. Can I just hand them to the GardaÃ* and let them destroy them?

Check your pm

Advertisement