Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice cycling routes

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any good ideas for cycles around the place? I heard cycling to Cobh via passage west and the ferry is a good one but does anyone else any ideas for routes to nice spots that don't involve insanely dangerous roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

There is a nice cycling route from Carrigaline to Crosshaven.It starts down by where lidl is in Carrigaline it is off the main road aswell...Kilworth woods if you fancied a little drive before hand would be pretty cool to cycle around huge woods.. You can do the cycle from Mahon/Blackrock to Passage West too and thats off the main road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

There is a very good safe 6-mile cycle around Mahon which is accessible from the City Centre, and you're close to water a lot of the time. You cycle down Centre Park Road, all the way down the Marina, past Blackrock Castle on your left, along the pathway by the water for a mile or two until you come to a short narrow bridge; over the bridge and turn right, up another steeper bridge and you're now cycling along an old converted railway line, passing under two lovely old stone bridges. Keep straight on, all the way - you'll see a rabbit or two and hear the dogs barking from the animal shelter high up on your right - until the Marina appears again on your right hand side. You can emerge onto the Marina again - you've completed a circle - and home along Centre Park Road. You'll pass by a Farmer's Market just before Blackrock Castle on Sunday mornings. Give it a go, and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

The route described by Ger89 is usually full of pedestrians. No chance to put the foot down. TBH, pretty much anywhere outside the city is safe. What distances are you looking to cover and how challenging do you want the routes to be? There is a Cycling Forum here where you could pick the brains of a more knowledgable community regarding your query. If you'd be interested in hooking up with others for you spins try "casting your vote" on this thread and fire out a few PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Thanks for the feedback folks, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Ger89 wrote: »
    There is a very good safe 6-mile cycle around Mahon which is accessible from the City Centre, and you're close to water a lot of the time. You cycle down Centre Park Road, all the way down the Marina, past Blackrock Castle on your left, along the pathway by the water for a mile or two until you come to a short narrow bridge; over the bridge and turn right, up another steeper bridge and you're now cycling along an old converted railway line, passing under two lovely old stone bridges. Keep straight on, all the way - you'll see a rabbit or two and hear the dogs barking from the animal shelter high up on your right - until the Marina appears again on your right hand side. You can emerge onto the Marina again - you've completed a circle - and home along Centre Park Road. You'll pass by a Farmer's Market just before Blackrock Castle on Sunday mornings. Give it a go, and enjoy!

Tried this cycle, I love it! Can't believe it's been there the whole time I've been in Cork and I never discovered it until now! Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've always found the Marina road a bit hairy, very rough surface, and the road around by Blackrock castle is a ramping nightmare.

Why not try mapmyride.com? There's a bunch of Cork routes on there and you can pick your distance and see where the hills are, etc. Very handy.
    I heard cycling to Cobh via passage west and the ferry is a good one but does anyone else any ideas for routes to nice spots that don't involve insanely dangerous roads?
    BTW, I'm not sure which part of this is 'insanely dangerous'? I've done it a few times, the roads around Cobh and Rochestown are quiet most weekend mornings, the N25 maybe? I don't know, never had a problem on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Ger89 wrote: »

Is this safe to do in darkness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Is this safe to do in darkness?

In terms of traffic or being out at night? In terms of traffic it's quite safe - as long as you have lights and reflective gear - as for cycling at night in strange areas, well you take your chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

evilivor wrote: »
    In terms of traffic or being out at night? In terms of traffic it's quite safe - as long as you have lights and reflective gear - as for cycling at night in strange areas, well you take your chances.

Being out at night.

Advertisement