Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen iPhone located with Find my iPhone...what to do?

• 02-08-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I lost my iphone 4 in galway at the weekend - presumed I lost it on the street, but did suspect it might have been stolen from my handbag as I realised it was missing about 2 mins after I had last used it and then found the phone cover on the ground... it was switched off within a half hour but the battery was low so I wasn't sure. I have insurance, and I've let O2 and the Gardai know it's gone. I remotely sent a message (via findmyiphone) to contact my BFs phone to return it. I checked my email this morning and the bloody thing's was located in a specific house in an estate in Tallaght (the night before last), but now they've obviously switched off the Find my iphone app as it's not locating it anymore.

What to do? Should I bother letting the Gardai know? I feel like it'll just be a waste of time, and insurance will probably give me a new one (for e65 excess fee!). I'm just so annoyed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would definitely tell the Gardai - what have you got to lose. And if they actually catch the person who stole it, all the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Definitely, don't let the scum get away with it, at least notify the Gardai of the location, if they catch the thief, all the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 How Many Users

I've heard of about 5 iPhone 4's stolen from Galway this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,588 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Get the new phone AND tell the guards.
    It mgiht take ages for the guards to get it back, if they even do. With a bit of luck, you get it back in about 3 months after the guys are charged and have a spare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Don't expect the Garda to do ANYTHING! They are useless. My iPhone 4 was stroked in January and it was on for about 2 hours after, all the time I was tracking it. I told the Garda twice where it was and they said they could so nothing about it without a warrant (fair enough) but they sounded like they gave about 2 s%&ts about anything I had to tell them to help with it. I received a letter a few later claiming it was an open investigation... I had every intention of calling once a week for an update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

By not doing anything you will be letting these scum get away with it, whether the guards are much help or not, you should definintely contact them.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't get your new phone from insurance either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 japsheen

Don't expect the Garda to do ANYTHING! They are useless.

Its unfair to stereotype all Garda because of your bad experience. Unfortunately there are Garda out there that, to be frank are useless but to be fair its like that in every profession, not just Gardai. The good ones do outnumber the bad i may add. I can only apologise for the experience you had. It annoys the f*** out of me to hear half hearted investigations like your one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Mellor wrote: »
    Get the new phone AND tell the guards.
    It mgiht take ages for the guards to get it back, if they even do. With a bit of luck, you get it back in about 3 months after the guys are charged and have a spare
    if the op claims off the insurance then the original onw will be blacklisted and by right the op has to hand it to the insurance company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Go round to the location yourself and let them have it!

Do not do this if you're not a mad bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Tell the Guards? LOL!
    Are you joking me? Unless you come across a decent garda they won't do anything.

When my iPhone was stolen the guards wanted nothing to do with it,
    They told me that the only reason the chase/track down stolen iPhones is if they are suspect to be involved with missing persons, rape cases etc etc....

If I where you I'd get the address and go upto the house the app located the phone in. I hope you get it back, I know the feeling and its not nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

To be fair there's surely a cost associated with getting a warrant and executing the warrant - if your phone is covered by insurance, the value of doing so is low. I'm not saying its right - its how it is.

And there are lots of people who'd give out about the Guards if they were going around finding missing (insured) mobile phones when there are "real" criminals out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

As said above the Garda will not care/want to know about it.
    Claim the insurance and pay the €66 excess, if it was left in a taxi/nightclub/etc, I'd call up to the house and ask for it back but if you think it was stolen/pick pocketed, the people who have it may not be the friendliest guys in the world

On the topic of Garda, my car was broken into at 2pm, ransacked and some stuff stolen(useless stuff to them but was in a bag which looked similar to a laptop bag).
    At least one passer by seen it happening and gave me the reg of the car, description, etc.
    The police told me that they can't go pulling in a car and search it for no reason, lol. I rang the station multiple times and spoke with different people and was basically told nothing is going to be done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Claim the insurance and pay the €66 excess, if it was left in a taxi/nightclub/etc, I'd call up to the house and ask for it back but if you think it was stolen/pick pocketed, the people who have it may not be the friendliest guys in the world

On the topic of Garda, my car was broken into at 2pm, ransacked and some stuff stolen(useless stuff to them but was in a bag which looked similar to a laptop bag).
    At least one passer by seen it happening and gave me the reg of the car, description, etc.
    The police told me that they can't go pulling in a car and search it for no reason, lol. I rang the station multiple times and spoke with different people and was basically told nothing is going to be done about it.
    Surely the reason that they broke into your car and stole from you is enough of a reason to pull them over. Thats crazy but I guess we are going off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

The possibility of it being used in the committing of crime is usually grounds for stopping and searching a car, its done every day, you should always ask to be put through to someone furthur up the ladder, usually gets thumbs removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ailsybird

Thanks for all the input guys. Just an update - I told the guards, and the insurance company. As expected, neither wanted anything to do with it. The thieves have obviously copped on by now to switch off the "find my iphone" app on my likely newly jailbroken iphone. While it's annoying to know exactly where the thieves live, I agree that it's a waste of Garda resources to be banging on a random door in Tallaght, when sure they can just turn off the phone and hide it easily. I'm 5 foot tall myself, so not gonna be banging on their door any time soon, didn't stop me sending a remote ominous message to the phone though telling them the cops know their location, ha!

Anyway, shiny new iphone arrived this morning much thanks to phonecover, so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I have had 2 Iphones stolen from me in the past 4 months. The first phone was not insured and the second phone was insured but sadly I had to wait a month before it kicked in and it was stolen before this could happen. When my phones were stolen the first number rung by my thieves was xxx xxxxxxx. Each time my phone was stolen this number was rung about 10 times and when I rang this number I got my voice mail.

I managed to find out that this number is a skype number but I could not find out who owned it. The Guards said they could not trace this numbers details but they would pass it onto to a computer/telecommunications taskforce that they have. I have heard SFA from the guards and as its fairly obvious from what happened to me that there is a gang stealing iPhones. If they trace the number they can help catch the gang but as usual nothing gets done. If I knew a way of tracing this number I would do all I could to make sure these scumbags get charged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I have had 2 Iphones stolen from me in the past 4 months. The first phone was not insured and the second phone was insured but sadly I had to wait a month before it kicked in and it was stolen before this could happen. When my phones were stolen the first number rung by my thieves was xxx xxxxxxx. Each time my phone was stolen this number was rung about 10 times and when I rang this number I got my voice mail.

I managed to find out that this number is a skype number but I could not find out who owned it. The Guards said they could not trace this numbers details but they would pass it onto to a computer/telecommunications taskforce that they have. I have heard SFA from the guards and as its fairly obvious from what happened to me that there is a gang stealing iPhones. If they trace the number they can help catch the gang but as usual nothing gets done. If I knew a way of tracing this number I would do all I could to make sure these scumbags get charged.

lost an iphone today

called my number a few times - went straight to voicemail (bad sign i thought to myself as there was plenty of battery power left from what i recall)

went to find my iphone thingy and tried to track phone, it couldn't find the location (is this because my phone is turned off or maybe i turned off the find my iphone setting - can't recall)

anyway i remotely locked the phone and sent various messages and those 2 minute sound signals to it but all are pending and mobileme thing said it would inform me when these appeared on screen and they haven't yet

then i contacted three and asked them had my phone been used to contact anybody yet, they said yes it had, for just 6 seconds and gave me a number 353766XXXXX, i tried to contact that number but got my voicemail so could it be a skype number like suggested above, international code is to bangladesh dhaka, i also had my number suspended rather than blacklisted just yet, i'll do a bit moe investigating tomorrow but i am already losing hope

I am a bit down about this, i am only half way through my contract and recently sent off loads of cv with that number on it, also loads of music, apps, movies, books and photos on my phone, i am of course an idiot for losing it but still quite sad that it probably was taken by a thief, last time i recall using it was an argos shop which i will visit tomorrow, not too sure if they have security cameras inside or if they'll even agree to my request to check them

so in conclusion and being presented with all that evidence i am fairly screwed amn't i? chances of retrieval are probably 1% and i guess i'll have to pay my contract out - is that correct?

i was angry at first but now am just gutted really, it's not like i have loads of cash to waste - ah well the next stage is acceptance

donfers wrote: »
    lost an iphone today

called my number a few times - went straight to voicemail (bad sign i thought to myself as there was plenty of battery power left from what i recall)

went to find my iphone thingy and tried to track phone, it couldn't find the location (is this because my phone is turned off or maybe i turned off the find my iphone setting - can't recall)

anyway i remotely locked the phone and sent various messages and those 2 minute sound signals to it but all are pending and mobileme thing said it would inform me when these appeared on screen and they haven't yet

then i contacted three and asked them had my phone been used to contact anybody yet, they said yes it had, for just 6 seconds and gave me a number 353766XXXXX, i tried to contact that number but got my voicemail so could it be a skype number like suggested above, international code is to bangladesh dhaka, i also had my number suspended rather than blacklisted just yet, i'll do a bit moe investigating tomorrow but i am already losing hope

I am a bit down about this, i am only half way through my contract and recently sent off loads of cv with that number on it, also loads of music, apps, movies, books and photos on my phone, i am of course an idiot for losing it but still quite sad that it probably was taken by a thief, last time i recall using it was an argos shop which i will visit tomorrow, not too sure if they have security cameras inside or if they'll even agree to my request to check them

so in conclusion and being presented with all that evidence i am fairly screwed amn't i? chances of retrieval are probably 1% and i guess i'll have to pay my contract out - is that correct?

i was angry at first but now am just gutted really, it's not like i have loads of cash to waste - ah well the next stage is acceptance

Well I have another 9 months to go on my contract, so I guess like me you are tied to it. It also looks like the same gang who stole your phone stole both my phones. The number that was rung on your phone is a skype number and unless you can trace who owns the number you are fecked like me. If anyone can help trace a Skype number please let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Did you get onto your phone insurance? I have my iPhone insured but I am thinking about cancelling it because I think it's just a catch.

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Did you get onto your phone insurance? I have my iPhone insured but I am thinking about cancelling it because I think it's just a catch.
    Sadly my first phone was not insured but I made sure my second one was but as it was not the phone I had my contract with it would be a month before it kicked in. My second phone was stolen before the insurance kicked in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Corkie1

Hi,
    I wouldn't hold my breath for the Gardai to help with finding your Iphone.
    I also had my Iphone stolen by a Romanian with 2 gold fangs from the office where i work in Cork. This happened on the 25th August. I contacted and tracked it via find my Iphone. The Gardai would not call to the house in Douglas Cork as they said they didn't really have any proof, as the GPS on the Iphone 4 was not very good.We also have the Romanian thief on CCTV and the Gardai have not bothered to call to the office to view the tapes.Even though I have asked them more than once.Bunch of Useless tax wasting layabouts. So 3 weeks later, and not a call from the Gardai.If anyone knows where this gold tooth fanged Romanian lives in Cork, let me know and i can let the Gardai know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

ailsybird wrote: »
    I lost my iphone 4 in galway at the weekend - presumed I lost it on the street, but did suspect it might have been stolen from my handbag as I realised it was missing about 2 mins after I had last used it and then found the phone cover on the ground... it was switched off within a half hour but the battery was low so I wasn't sure. I have insurance, and I've let O2 and the Gardai know it's gone. I remotely sent a message (via findmyiphone) to contact my BFs phone to return it. I checked my email this morning and the bloody thing's was located in a specific house in an estate in Tallaght (the night before last), but now they've obviously switched off the Find my iphone app as it's not locating it anymore.

What to do? Should I bother letting the Gardai know? I feel like it'll just be a waste of time, and insurance will probably give me a new one (for e65 excess fee!). I'm just so annoyed!

Next time put a remote controlled demolition charge in your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Corkie1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I wouldn't hold my breath for the Gardai to help with finding your Iphone.
    I also had my Iphone stolen by a Romanian with 2 gold fangs from the office where i work in Cork. This happened on the 25th August. I contacted and tracked it via find my Iphone. The Gardai would not call to the house in Douglas Cork as they said they didn't really have any proof, as the GPS on the Iphone 4 was not very good.We also have the Romanian thief on CCTV and the Gardai have not bothered to call to the office to view the tapes.Even though I have asked them more than once.Bunch of Useless tax wasting layabouts. So 3 weeks later, and not a call from the Gardai.If anyone knows where this gold tooth fanged Romanian lives in Cork, let me know and i can let the Gardai know.
    How do you know the person is Romanian? Did you ask for ID?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

carrotcake wrote: »
    How do you know the person is Romanian? Did you ask for ID?

Don't be so politically correct. Obviously In your world no one is allowed assume anything without evidence, but here in the real world, you'll find people are free to make assumptions based on experience and if they're wrong it's their concern, not yours. Don't like it? There's always Liveline. Talk to Joe, he loves political correctness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

naasrd wrote: »
    Don't be so politically correct. Obviously In your world no one is allowed assume anything without evidence, but here in the real world, you'll find people are free to make assumptions based on experience and if they're wrong it's their concern, not yours. Don't like it? There's always Liveline. Talk to Joe, he loves political correctness.

FFS its not being politically correct - you are basing a nationality on looks !!
    Do you have red hair and freckles ? Blue eyes ?? are you 100% Irish ? Do you look Irish ? I'm guessing you are not.

just out of interest do you know the difference between Roma and Romanian ?

(I'm guessing you don't and if you don't please google it and see the difference its important so you wont be so judgemental in the future)

going back on topic - there are plenty of phones being robbed these days - if you have common sense and are careful when using your phone then it wont happen to you - my girlfriend had her phone stolen a few weeks ago (snatched from her hand - from behind - as we were both watching one dodgy guy observing us) - it was insured so we phoned O2 within mins, then went to a garda station and got the forms to get it replaced/reported ...back to O2 and within a few days a replacement phone was returned, phone was made useless by O2 so hopefully it was a waste of time for the thieves.

Ps. we had a feeling something was going on which is why were were watching a dodgy guy watching us (we were at an event and had just sat down for a bit....if we had the knowledge we have now we would have just left the event - neither of us felt 100% safe - not enough security around)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Loads of iphonee are being stolen in the ifsc area. Thieves mainly operate by riding a bicycle from behind their target who are mainly ladies wearing high heels are they are less likely to go behind them.

Nearly on a weekly basis we receive warnings from the securirty team of my place of work in relation to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Corkie1

The person who stole my IPHONE is a Roma/Romanian whatever you want to call him. The Gardai have informed me, he has stolen more than 10 phones in the last few weeks in the Cork city area.He has 2 gold incisors, sharp and pointed almost like fangs.Carrot you can keep your political points of view to politics.ie. I just came on here to advise this guy is in the Cork area stealing phones. I know what he is, he did after all come in to office and steal my IPHONE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭roryk1

If your getting an iPhone it's a lot of money insurance is a must I'd rather pay excess on the insurance than a new phone I'm not rich myself so I understand the value of it and its worth it my iPhone helps me send out all my cvs and checking all the job sites these phones are valuable just insure them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Just a little fyi on the insurance,

I got a iphone 4s 6months ago on my mother in laws upgrade and insured it on her account .... Ie she got the phone i use it.

Recently she went into the local shop to adjust her plan and was told the insurance ee have is useless, they will only honour claims if the sim using the phone is attached to the account making the claim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Go to the house in Tallght. Ring the guards and tell them to come up. Your going to knock on the door and get your phone back. They won't care.

Ring them in 5 mins and say "it's ok you don't need to come up. I stabbed them" :) see what they do then :)

Advertisement