Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging a foreign (EU) cheque in my AIB account

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I have a a cheque from another EU Eurozone country that I want to cash. Its quite a substantial amount, how much do AIB charge and how long does it take to clear to my AIB account?

Are there any other quicker/ cheaper solutions?

go raibh maith agaibh

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Get on to the person who sent you the cheque and ask them would it be possible for them to send you the money electronically, it'll take about a week and will go into your account as cleared funds.

If you lodge the cheque and it is quite large, it could be sent on collection which can take up to 4 weeks (if it's a Spanish or Portuguese bank I've seen it take longer) and could be quite expensive because the foreign bank will charge an admin fee, which is usually a percentage of the amount as opposed to a fixed fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Give him your iban and swift code and tell them to send it electronically. cheques are thing of the past

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I also have a sterling check for about £10, the last time I cashed one like it it was more than the check was worth, anyone know a way around this?

I can't have the money sent as ET as they are a share dividend.

Advertisement