Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coarse fishing licence (river suck)

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

I was very critical of the introduction of a fishing licence to fish the river suck in 2004. Mainly because it was never enforced and it never stopped poachers. However, in the past few weeks I have heard stories of poachers being caught and tackle convisgated. On sunday, a group of four of my mates were checked for a licence on a popular stretch of the river (they literally bought their licence a few hours earlier!). I hope this continues, I have no problems paying for a licence if the money is being well spent. The sight alone of fisheries board staff patrolling the banks of the river should be enough to scare poachers. Its just a shame this didnt happen 7 years ago, still better late then never.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Good to see the river being patrolled, in fairness if you pay €40 to fish the river for the year (great value for money btw) you would expect to have it policed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

...I have heard stories of poachers being caught and tackle confiscated....

About f€cking time.

The way Ireland has been fished out is nothing short of criminal.

Anyone here ever work at the ferries? I remember seeing campers going back to the continent loaded with so many fish you could see the wheels bulging.

Just sickening.

I cannot tell you how many lakes I fished for decades that got wiped out. Even after a decade of trying to jump them back to life - no luck.

I think these poachers have now all bought rifles and have moved on to lamping deer. They deer may soon suffer the same fate.

I'll never begrudge anyone anything that is shot for pot or fished for a dish (hey that rhymes!). But when you're culling/fishing or whatever large amounts, there should be a special license or tax stamp.

To any Rangers reading this, you have the support of fisherman and sportsmen.

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Too late in alot of places.
    but look on the bright side, better late than never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Too late in alot of places.
    but look on the bright side, better late than never.

True - I'm a long term optimist!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bustersdad

you must have been at donamon then ,thats the only place youll find him.
    dont like getting his shoes dirty.
    poachers have cleared most lakes round here with their lidl carrier bag keep nets
    me and some locals are trying with orla laden [local councilor to get permit resinded
    im all for permits if the money is put back into fishing but it doesnt.
    go off piste if you want to fish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

bustersdad wrote: »
    you must have been at donamon then ,thats the only place youll find him.
    dont like getting his shoes dirty.
    poachers have cleared most lakes round here with their lidl carrier bag keep nets
    me and some locals are trying with orla laden [local councilor to get permit resinded
    im all for permits if the money is put back into fishing but it doesnt.
    go off piste if you want to fish

It wasnt Donamon where they were checked, was a good few miles away from there. They are checking everywhere, not just the very popular areas. I must leave my licence in my tackle box! Long may it continue. Id love if the poachers were named and shamed on a national or even a local paper

Advertisement