Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed at 60

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My da has been out of work roughly over a year now. He left school at a very young age so has very little education to speak of.
    Worked most of his life as a general op till he was made redundant.

Finding it difficult to put in the days so I was thinking a course of some sorts could be good for him, new challenge for him.

I dont really know where to look, was thinking maybe he could do some leaving cert subjects etc

Anyone got some suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Maybe a quick IT crash course if he's not already familiar with computers/internet. Brings a breadth of options for a wide variety of interests. Just keep him off boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Try get him to cheak out the adult education office and they can hopefully point him in the right direction. The number/address can usually be found online or in the phonebook. Just look for the VEC of whatever county you are in. VTOS is great as they cover loads of subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Sorry to hear your dads been made redundant. Its tough at that age especially. So yea if you can coax him into a classroom definitely look into adult ed classes. I wouldn't go towards leaving cert subjects unless he's particularly motivated in that direction towards exam pressures, homework etc.
    Beginners internet usage, general computers? Maybe a fetac level 4 in general learning?
    If he's looking at getting back into work then a good option might be fetac level 5 healthcare assistant course, lots of work there and a shortage of males.

Definitely have a look at your vec website and try to pop in to see the adult ed officer. Most are good at their gigs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Leaving cert would be a substantial step in the right direction and would enhance your dad life.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Leaving cert would be a substantial step in the right direction and would enhance your dad life.

How?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Well it would increase his general level of education and intelligence all in the one go.If he finds a subject he like then seems to me that he would explore it in greater depth maybe with follow on studies in college,fetac or even fas courses.

The leaving cert would be a substantial program for anyone who hasn't completed it before and would keep your father busy for at least two years i would imagine the term to be two years for anyone who hasn't done this before if he is going to do 5-7 subjects he would be hard pressed to complete these in a matter of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

Hi. I'm a bit older than your Dad, and left school at 15 way back when. I've always wanted to go to university, but what with family responsibilities and so forth never had the opportunity. Did the 'Access to Arts' course in UCD in 2008/09 when I retired, and it's the best move I ever made, given me a new lease on life. Next week I start into the third and final year of my degree. If interested, your Dad is welcome to email me privately.

Advertisement