Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card v Laser Card

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just looking for a bit of advice,thinking of getting rid of my credit card.I only use it for booking flights,hotels,gigs etc.Am I right in saying that one can use a laser card for all these bookings now?
    Selig
    Apologies to mods if this is the wrong forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

As far as im aware laser cards are not accepted outside of Ireland in the majority of cases. For example setting up paypal with a laser card can not be achieved (however, i stand to be corrected on that one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Laser is almost gone and replaced by Visa & Mastercard debit cards.

Depending on your bank, your "laser" card has either already become a visa debit card (Ulster & PTSB) or will come one later this year and early next year (AIB/BOI/NIB).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Ulster Bank have a Visa Debet card that you works the same as a laser but can be used where ever credit cards are used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Laser is Ireland only. A Visa Debit card however can be used in almost all situations you'd use a Credit Card. I'm experimenting at the moment to see if we can go a year without the credit card by using Visa debit. So far (5 months in) no problems. I did hear that car hire companies in Spain insist on Credit Cards instead of Debit Cards but have no experience of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The O2 Money Visa Card be handy its a pre-paid credit card. There are others but I think O2 Money card is better value for money than the other pre-paid credit cards on the Market. Laser card is great too just as good as the O2 Money card. I use both the Laser and O2 Money card both are very handy. The laser card is an easier way to manage spending than say a credit card though.

I think some of the banks, I think Bank of Ireland will probably change the laser into their own pre-paid visa cards within next year so similar to the O2 Money card, pre-paid v3 and mastercard. So the Laser card may not be operating from then on not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Laser is Ireland only. A Visa Debit card however can be used in almost all situations you'd use a Credit Card. I'm experimenting at the moment to see if we can go a year without the credit card by using Visa debit. So far (5 months in) no problems. I did hear that car hire companies in Spain insist on Credit Cards instead of Debit Cards but have no experience of this.

In my experience thy will accept both but where a debit card is used they will want to take up to 200 euro on deposit.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Laser is Ireland only

But why am I able to use my Laser Card (BoI) in Germany? As long as it shows the 'Cirrus' Symbol on the card and outside the shop or restaurant, everything is fine imo

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Becasue you can still use it at the ATM, just not in a transaction.

Thats weird, i walked into BOI not long ago and asked for a VISA Debit card, she looked at me as if i had ten heads, was quite ignorant too.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

seligehgit wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just looking for a bit of advice,thinking of getting rid of my credit card.I only use it for booking flights,hotels,gigs etc.Am I right in saying that one can use a laser card for all these bookings now?
    Selig
    Apologies to mods if this is the wrong forum

Swap your credit card for a visa debit card. Most banks now have one, except BOI I think and you can use it just about everywhere and anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lars1916 wrote: »
    But why am I able to use my Laser Card (BoI) in Germany? As long as it shows the 'Cirrus' Symbol on the card and outside the shop or restaurant, everything is fine imo

Laser is Irish.

My AIB laser card has Meastro and Cirrus so that I can use it in other countries, it's not a proper card on the other systems though. It depends on the company you are purchasing from if they'll accept Irish Laser cards with Meastro/Cirrus, but Visa debit is taken everywhere.

In the UK recently, I bought a KFC meal on my Laser but I couldn't use it in a petrol station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Del2005 wrote: »
    Laser is Irish.

My AIB laser card has Meastro and Cirrus so that I can use it in other countries, it's not a proper card on the other systems though. It depends on the company you are purchasing from if they'll accept Irish Laser cards with Meastro/Cirrus, but Visa debit is taken everywhere.

In the UK recently, I bought a KFC meal on my Laser but I couldn't use it in a petrol station.

Visa Debit isn't accepted in most Physical points of Purchase in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and France.

Maestro on the Other hand is far more widely accepted.

Online the Maestro system requires the Full card number, which is not on the Laser Card.

Saying that I never had hassle with my BOI Laser card in the Netherlands / Germany.

My Dutch ABN Amro Maestro card doesn't work in a few shops in Ireland (Namely Tesco)

Laser switched to Maestro years ago, as did Switch in the UK and PIN in the Netherlands.

Germany still uses its EC system.

ALL Car hire companies require you to have the excess amount available on the card, otherwise you can pay a deposit instead.

In short, you can only reserve a car with a Visa Debit Card, you can't actually rent a car without leaving a deposit or having the balance available (E.G Rentals with Sixt require 900 euros available on the card for Rentals, Hertz was 1200 on a BMW 525D)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This isn't a Consumer Issue - Moved instead to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks for all your help guys,it appears pretty clearcut from the postings that there's a consensus that the Permanent TSB VISA debit card which I have can be used in most situations applicable to the BOI Mastercard I have as long as I've sufficient funds.Looks like the credit card is for the bin!:DI presume you have no credit limit on these Visa debit cards,the main reason I'm getting rid of the credit card is the extortionate interest rates on unpaid balances etc..that dastardly 40 euro stamp duty charge too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

You don't get as much protection from a debit card as you do from a credit card. e.g. if you book a hotel and it goes bust you get your money back from the credit card, but if you book with laser you don't. Its happened to a few hotels/hotel websites recently. You may want to check with the bank before you cut up your credit card. Take a look at the 1800 hotels thread in the travel forum

Same with buying vouchers for shops that go bust, you get your money back if you pay by credit card.

You don't get as much protection from a debit card as you do from a credit card. e.g. if you book a hotel and it goes bust you get your money back from the credit card, but if you book with laser you don't. Its happened to a few hotels/hotel websites recently. You may want to check with the bank before you cut up your credit card. Take a look at the 1800 hotels thread in the travel forum

Same with buying vouchers for shops that go bust, you get your money back if you pay by credit card.

Incorrect in parts.

Its the payment system that issues the insurance.

Visa debit DOES have insurance cover and if you paid by visa debit or visa credit for something and the companu closes before delivery, you are refunded in full.

Mastercard debit don't have insurance
    Mastercard credit do have insurance

Laser does not have insurance.

So Visa Debit is the best option in the debit card market.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I stand clarified :)

Legally the credit card companys have to give protection, but the visa debit protection is voluntary.

Its pretty good that VISA give the same protection as on their credit card. There has been too many people stung recently when paying by laser and companys go bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Many hotels can only be booked online using a credit card. Often they'll accept a cash deposit oncheck in but that will not be useful if you can't access Internet only special offers in the first place.

The only extra cost should be the stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I had a visa debit card with halifax and changed over the to ulster bank.
    I used this card to pay for items in the Usa and to withdraw cash there.
    I use this card on the internet. Sometimes I have to fill in more information to pay on certain internet sites which I find is good from a security point of view.
    I have told family members to get rid of the laser cards as they have had problems using them on internet sites.
    The debit card will only allow you to use money in your account or overdraft limit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone know when Bank of Ireland are bringing out their Visa Debit card?

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone know when Bank of Ireland are bringing out their Visa Debit card?

Why not call them yourself or send them an email. Then you'll get a correct answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I will be talking to them later, but i figured i'd see if anyone knew here first.

Advertisement