Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Sardinia / Italy

Options
  • 02-08-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had experienced driving in Sardinia? It is stressful / too much hassle or could anyone recommend it? I am hoping to drive from Olbia to Bosa. Have heard Italian drivers are quite agressive so just wondering if anyone could provide advice based on their experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I drove in Northern Sardinia a few years ago, just hired a car for the day. Was very nervous beforehand but it was dead handy, roads were quiet and other drivers were fine. Now we were there off-season but still got the vibe it was fine.

Subsequently drove in Tuscany and that was fine too. Think Italian driving style is all a bit hyped out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

pduff13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had experienced driving in Sardinia? It is stressful / too much hassle or could anyone recommend it? I am hoping to drive from Olbia to Bosa. Have heard Italian drivers are quite agressive so just wondering if anyone could provide advice based on their experiences?

Thanks

We spent a week in Sardinia in May 2010, and I did all the driving. I had no problems at all; the main roads were generally relatively quiet, and the minor roads were very quiet, although often narrow; obviously, in the mountaineous areas, they were most narrow and they also had massive drops on one side. But it's all grand as long as you pay attention!
    Fabulous island, would love to go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've done a bit of driving there. motorways are ****e,very bad surfaces, lots of broken up bits, slip lanes are very short coming on and off motorways (or equivalent). but in general it's fine. watch your speeds the Carabineri (sp?) are around a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I've driven from Olbia to Alghero and also separately Alghero to Bosa along the coastal road both during high season. Olbia to Alghero is main road, similar to primary roads here but not motorway, as mentioned above road surfaces are poor but traffic is fairly light so I really wouldn't be nervous about it.

Coastal road to Bosa would be narrower and much more winding up and down through mountains sweeping down towards the sea, but still nothing to worry abt as long as you take it easy. This is a very scenic drive and there are a few places to stop off and hike down to little coves/beaches which I'd highly recommend doing.

Advertisement