Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing expertise/help needed please.

Options
  • 02-08-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    I have been investigating building a vintage pickup truck (1956 Ford F-100). However there is no ready supply of donor vehicle here in Ireland and as such I will need to start from scratch. The WAF (wife approval factor) is low so I cannot go out and spend money to get an old vehicle imported. So I have looked to start this buildup with a rolling chassis which is quite doable here in Ireland. To this end I would need a manufacturing drawing showing the chassis to get the process underway.

I have no previous experience with any drafting packages and have
    numerous snippets of information with which to get a drawing together. Once I have the start of a drawing I can submit it to several web communities to validate the dimensions etc.

Is there anybody here on this forum who would like to be involved in this project??

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

Ian Foreman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

So you're going to use a 3rd-party chassis and then get an F-100 replica body built for this? If the WAF was low for buying a finished truck, wait til she sees what the alternative is!

Honestly, I think the drawings are the least of your worries. Is there not an easier path to getting a finished truck? The Classics forum here on Boards would be a good resource for contacts, advice etc.

Don't want to put you off completely, but I've heard too many horror stories of abandoned home builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 iforeman

Hiya

I am not going to use a replica body, I have just returned from the USA where a school friend of mine runs a export business sending classic muscle cars to SA. While I was there I bought a 56 cab complete with doors, all the front metal work, a mercury marauder 4.6 L 32 v motor and a 4r70w gearbox. These are all sitting there in my friends warehouse waiting for me to give him the go ahead to ship.

I want to use a Jag IFS and IRS setup for the chassis (these are plentiful here/UK) and inexpensive. I will be taking the truck back to SA with me when I return in a couple of years and want to convert it to RHD and as such the Jag parts are a ideal solution.
    To purchase/use a chassis from the US means that I will need to pay anywhere from $6000 to $11000 and that just puts it out of reach.

I recon I could build one here for a fraction of the price and when I have a rolling chassis, send the body and motor over and complete it for a lot less than it would have cost.

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Buck Turgidson

iforman,
    PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It sounds like a great project iforeman.
    Before you can draw a chassis you'll need your dimensions.
    The only way to do that would be to get all your parts mocked up into position and get your measuring tape out.
    Difficult to do if the engine and cab are in the US and the Jag hasnt been sourced yet.

Have a look on this site,they may be able to help you.

http://www.irishstreetrods.com/newsite/deforum/phpbb3/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 12 iforeman

Buck.

PM sent

• Advertisement
Advertisement