Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long gaming sessions can kill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Grayhame wrote: »
    OK just on a quick look the only comment i can make is why after 6 hours did the father not think " hey he's been up there for a spell maybe he should come down and experence this thing called real-life" no?

Probably a multitude of reasons a father wouldn't feel it necessary to check on his 20-year-old son, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Should've bought a Wii/Kinnect......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Should've bought a Wii/Kinnect......

Totally, there's no way he'd play for the length he did on a wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Used to play long WoW sessions over 12 hours on expansion releases or so, and long raids aswell, but raid leaders and officers were intelligent blokes and always stopped raids for 20 mins breaks to get up and exercise a bit. really comes down to common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Varik wrote: »
    Totally, there's no way he'd play for the length he did on a wii.

Zing. Mind, says alot that he'd rather die than play anymore COD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

tomred1 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-14350216

Not to make light of this young lads death, from DVT but who has ever played a game for 12 hrs or more. I personally could only play for 4-5 hours before my eyes start going wonky. What the longest seesion people have played?
    Title fail tbh. Long tv watching sessions could probably kill as well. Long sex sessions could kill. Long birdwatching sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The gunn shop just made an video on it with an interesting take on it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thinking about it, I'd say I've had some 5-6 hour Civ 2 sessions back in the day. The Civ games can devour time like nobodies business, as I'm sure many will agree.

I've had longer stretches but with breaks in between. I remember a friend used to, for a period, stay up all night playing skirmish mode in C&C Tiberian Sun and the next morning he would be telling me about it like it was interesting to anyone but himself. Don't get that at all. How fun can gaming be with stinging eyes and a woozy feeling? Some here might say "very" but I like my sleep so not something I would be into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

played 1 or 2 total annihilation marathons with a friend in the past

he was the first to relent, and had to go for an hour to get something to eat - said I'd stop playing till he returned, but secretly filled the rivers and lakes between our 2 bases with those little walking spider bombs. He finally arrives back, and the rivers belch forth an unrelenting stream of scurying nuclear death!

Or at least thats what I hoped would happen... he just had to kill the closest one, and the resulting domino effect blew all the others up, and crashed both our computers in the process :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

look at this threa in AH forums on boards.ie on this.

I KNEW IT WILL BE JUST IDIOTIC! those idiots in goverment should just shut the FECK UP!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056348176

xbox and ps3 will be installed with chips that will let you play only 2h and 12 break... lolz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

8 hours is probably my max and I havent done that in years. Back in the days of ISS on the playstation.
    Nowadays I wouldnt have the the time or inclination to pass 2 hours of play. I get eye strain and headaches from longer sessions in front of a monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/42462/healy-eames-wants-games-consoles-to-have-in-built-cap-to-cut-time-spent-gaming

*facepalm* So ill-informed, it's just....:pac:

EDIT: Dammit, ust saw the AH thread is the same link. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

"Sitting still is literally the danger zone. Chris loved to play and would stay up all night"

Looks like I'm safe, I have a tenancy to jump about when playing games online.

I think the longest I've spent playing games would probably be Gears of War 2, myself and a friend played that from start to finish on Hardcore mode because we had nothing better to do.

The longest I generally spend playing games would probably be about 1-2 hours, unless I get a new game, which is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 silverpox

hard to know where to start with this nonsense.

- He died from sitting too long. The fact he was gaming was incidental. He could have been reading War and Peace. Lets install time limit chips in books too.

- In the story I read, his family claimed he often gamed for 10 hours. They didn't actually say he had done so prior to his death.

- I'm sure any kind of time limit could be circumvented but that aside why would/should microsoft or Sony implement them?!

- Most annoyingly I suspect the senator knows this already but just wants to get her name in the news, raise her profile. what a gee bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

As a Jr Doctor I've been trying to avoid this topic as it aggravates me so much. This unfortunate death is a massive aberration. I sincerely doubt that there weren't other risk factors at work; be it morbid obesity, smoking; inherited blood disorder/+ Family History, terrible parenting etc. It's extremely rare for a 20-year-old to get a DVT and this is completely blown out of proportion. This is an extremely rare case of a 20-year old and his family not looking out for his own health and getting a PE. The public should NOT be alarmed.

Long gaming sessions will NOT kill. Being extremely wreckless with your own health is. This is an EXTREMELY RARE case of a DVT/PE and should be treated as such.

Maybe "taking an extra long nap" should be another risk factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I will to play for 20 hours in a paid medical experiment if anyones interested :pac:

Advertisement