Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Dropouts

Options
  • 02-08-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm with Eircom 11 months this month and I have experienced constant dropouts in that time. I cannot use certain sites like the RTÉ player etc. due to this problem which is so annoying.

I have called eircom a while ago to discuss this problem and they charged me for a package downgrade??? I'm not exactly up on these issues such as broadband line capabilities so I usually feel unable to call up eircom as I really don't understand what it is they are talking about.

I have though e-mailed and logged complaints that way. I would really like some advise on this. I'm wondering if I even have a valid contract with eircom as they have not provided me with the service they initially said they would????

How long usually is an eircom contract valid for???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I'm with Eircom 11 months this month and I have experienced constant dropouts in that time. I cannot use certain sites like the RTÉ player etc. due to this problem which is so annoying.

I have called eircom a while ago to discuss this problem and they charged me for a package downgrade??? I'm not exactly up on these issues such as broadband line capabilities so I usually feel unable to call up eircom as I really don't understand what it is they are talking about.

I have though e-mailed and logged complaints that way. I would really like some advise on this. I'm wondering if I even have a valid contract with eircom as they have not provided me with the service they initially said they would????

How long usually is an eircom contract valid for???

Hi monkey tree
    this does sound unusual especially that you would have been downgraded without your agreeing to this. If you PM me your tel number I can have this investigated and get this information for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monkey tree

Hi Tony,

I have just sent you that info by pm.

Just to clarify also that I did actually agree to the downgrade as I was peeved off at the cost of a bad service so they offered to downgrade and I accepted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Tony,

I have just sent you that info by pm.

Just to clarify also that I did actually agree to the downgrade as I was peeved off at the cost of a bad service so they offered to downgrade and I accepted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

No problem monkey tree, chasing this for you now and should have an answer later today.
    Tony

Hi there Tony,

I understand you are very busy. I would love to hear back from you all the same!

Hi there Tony,

I understand you are very busy. I would love to hear back from you all the same!

Hi Monkey tree
    nice coincidance there, was just formulating a response and guise to improving connection. Have PM 'd this to you. Let me know if this alters speed.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi there Tony,

I just replied there to your PM and I'm not at all happy with your level of response. I have been through that standard protocol to test the router before with an eircom customer rep over the phone.A friend of mine who knows more of these things than me has told me that there is no problem with the router here that it is a connection problem.

All I know is that I am paying 63euros a month for a broadband connection and have NEVER been able to use the RTE player. Sounds like a dial up service to me.

I am really frustrated, I don't have the money to suffer a bad service like this. How dare these companies provide substandard services, if I went into work and acted the maggot with people I would be left go so why am I having to pay for a service where the company is acting the maggot with me?

I would also like to know how you have established my remaining contract with eircom is 100 more days when I signed up last August?

My original question was how long is the standard sign up contract with eircom?

OH THE IRONY, just as I tried to send this I had another dropout. I think my blood pressure is now boiling.

Hi there Tony,

I just replied there to your PM and I'm not at all happy with your level of response. I have been through that standard protocol to test the router before with an eircom customer rep over the phone.A friend of mine who knows more of these things than me has told me that there is no problem with the router here that it is a connection problem.

All I know is that I am paying 63euros a month for a broadband connection and have NEVER been able to use the RTE player. Sounds like a dial up service to me.

I am really frustrated, I don't have the money to suffer a bad service like this. How dare these companies provide substandard services, if I went into work and acted the maggot with people I would be left go so why am I having to pay for a service where the company is acting the maggot with me?

I would also like to know how you have established my remaining contract with eircom is 100 more days when I signed up last August?

My original question was how long is the standard sign up contract with eircom?

OH THE IRONY, just as I tried to send this I had another dropout. I think my blood pressure is now boiling.

Hi Monkey tree
    I appreciate that having already tried the troubleshooting process you might not be prepared to do this again, I was not aware you had already done so.. My reason for asking you to connect to main phone socket via ethernet is that I can see you have some syncing issues but can not identify problem remotely. I was trying to establish if this was a connection problem or modem / device. While I appreciate your friend may have advised you not a router issue I really have to establish this myself to be able to identify where the problem lies.
    I have received your PM and have responded. If you wish to pm me with your mobile number I can arrange a tech call back to have further troubleshooting carried out here.
    It is odd that you have never been able to use RTE player in particular..I have escalated this to the tech support team and am awaiting their feedback.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Thats very odd that you could never watch RTE player your internet connection must be very very slow if it can't play RTE i have the 1Mb broadband from Eircom and the player works fine even on this connection.

Test your BB speed at http://www.speedtest.net

to see how slow/fast it is running at!:D

Hi there Tony,

It's not just the RTÉ player I cannot view but also sites like 4od and even YouTube is a nightmare alot of the time.

Tony I would like you to detail here the procedure for lodging a formal complaint to Eircom as this has to be done in order to proceed to comreg which I as a consumer have every right to now do. Thanks for your help so far.

jay93, thanks so much for your advice. I am not at home at the mo as I am visiting with my parents and will be back to my apartment on Friday so I will certainly carry out this speedtest and I'll post up the results then!!

Hi there Tony,

It's not just the RTÉ player I cannot view but also sites like 4od and even YouTube is a nightmare alot of the time.

Tony I would like you to detail here the procedure for lodging a formal complaint to Eircom as this has to be done in order to proceed to comreg which I as a consumer have every right to now do. Thanks for your help so far.

jay93, thanks so much for your advice. I am not at home at the mo as I am visiting with my parents and will be back to my apartment on Friday so I will certainly carry out this speedtest and I'll post up the results then!!
    Hi monkey tree
    Sorry could not do more on this issue. Has the prefile re-set by tech support not helped streaming of RTE player?? Tech support had changed interleaving to low to facilitate this last Friday 05/08. Let me know if no improvement and will contact them again for you.
    To lodge a formal complaint to eircom you should call the customer complaint section on 1800200481 and they will record this issue and escalate for you or contact them at this link.
    Tony

• Advertisement

No Tony, I'm afraid there was no improvement noted so I will follow through with the complaint. Thanks anyway

No Tony, I'm afraid there was no improvement noted so I will follow through with the complaint. Thanks anyway

Ok monkey tree, I will see what I can do from this side also.
    Tony

Ok, just to give an update of what's been happening with my situation. I have only just returned to my apartment after an extended stay at my parents and I have just done a speedtest with www.speedtest.ie as advised by jay93...the results are Ping 75ms, Download Speed 0.64Mbps and an upload speed of 0.21Mbps.

Anyway I doubt this matters anymore as I rang Eircom last week and expressed all my frustrations to them, I also reiterated that I don't know how they established my contract is not up for an extra 100 days onto the usual 12mth contract. I was passed between four different departments and not one person I spoke to could help me out or offer me any solutions, to say I was upset is an understatement. I eventually hung up the phone and spent the day feeling victimised AGAIN.

Then a couple of days ago I got a call from an Eircom customer care rep to say my contract is actually up on the 9th of Sept as per original contract because I had not been advised of any contract extension when I downgraded 3months into my contract.

I have learned my lesson, NEVER AGAIN GO ANYWHERE NEAR EIRCOM. I would rather stay incommunicado for life. It is not worth the blood pressure and the bullying.

I have been speaking to alot of people about their internet/phone providers and I have yet to hear anyone with anything positive to say about Eircom, in fact I spoke to a community nurse recently who told me of what I could only describe as a horror story about how Eircom treated a vulnerable elderly lady who was depending on them for an alarm service.

Eircom are a shower of charlatans and should never be allowed to get away with mistreating people through the misuse of power.

This thread can now be closed. Goodbye Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Ok, just to give an update of what's been happening with my situation. I have only just returned to my apartment after an extended stay at my parents and I have just done a speedtest with www.speedtest.ie as advised by jay93...the results are Ping 75ms, Download Speed 0.64Mbps and an upload speed of 0.21Mbps.

Anyway I doubt this matters anymore as I rang Eircom last week and expressed all my frustrations to them, I also reiterated that I don't know how they established my contract is not up for an extra 100 days onto the usual 12mth contract. I was passed between four different departments and not one person I spoke to could help me out or offer me any solutions, to say I was upset is an understatement. I eventually hung up the phone and spent the day feeling victimised AGAIN.

Then a couple of days ago I got a call from an Eircom customer care rep to say my contract is actually up on the 9th of Sept as per original contract because I had not been advised of any contract extension when I downgraded 3months into my contract.

I have learned my lesson, NEVER AGAIN GO ANYWHERE NEAR EIRCOM. I would rather stay incommunicado for life. It is not worth the blood pressure and the bullying.

I have been speaking to alot of people about their internet/phone providers and I have yet to hear anyone with anything positive to say about Eircom, in fact I spoke to a community nurse recently who told me of what I could only describe as a horror story about how Eircom treated a vulnerable elderly lady who was depending on them for an alarm service.

Eircom are a shower of charlatans and should never be allowed to get away with mistreating people through the misuse of power.

This thread can now be closed. Goodbye Eircom.

Absolutely AGREE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

At a download speed of 0.64Mb/s RTE player probably won't play properly my connection has a download of 0.88Mb/s which seems just right for been able to stream content online our line can handle 7Mb/s +
    But we only are on the 1Mb package so it won't go any faster for the moment.

Advertisement