Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I deal with the council or the neighbour?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi, I have a neighbour who I need to contact to sort out some paperwork regarding their property and a wayleave and as I haven't seen them in a while I checked with the land registry and it shows the local council as the owner, when some years back it was always the neighbour's own name on the documents.

At first I thought they left, but I checked and they are still living there.

My question - who do I deal with: the council or the neighbour? Why do the council own it now in your experience?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is the CC the owner of the wayleave or the neighbours house, or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

It's our wayleave, from our land which was originally bought from the neigbour over their remaining land, and the neighbour still lives there but from some reason the council are now listed as the owner. Not sure who to deal with - I'm guessing the council? And why do they own it anyway if the person still lives there?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You may have to deal with both parties, as one appears to be the owner and the other the occupier and therefore both have an interest in the property.
    summereire wrote: »
    And why do they own it anyway if the person still lives there?
    Possibly none of your business. :) Councils do buy properties, especially in mature areas where they want to put young families into larger homes that they buy form "empty nesters".

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

Thanks, yes maybe they just pre-bought it under some arrangement to let the current residents remain living in it. I suppose I'll just contact the council and see what happens as they are the legal owner, and if the person needs to be involved I presume they'll tell me that.

Advertisement