Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Compound?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Well, I bought all my parts for my build, got it all together and then realised I needed thermal compound which I didn't have. And more annoyingly, it seems to be the rarest thing on earth. My local computer store doesn't sell it. Several stores I checked, sell it but don't stock it, you have to buy it online. Then I tried some Irish sites that sell it over the internet, and the delievery prices are just bloody ridiculous on the one's I looked at.

So can anyone tell me an easy, quick way of buying this stuff. I'm living in Kildare if it helps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I bought Arctic silver 5 in Peats a couple months back, you should be able to get some in there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

PC world stocked it last time i needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭weisses

Lago wrote: »
    Well, I bought all my parts for my build, got it all together and then realised I needed thermal compound which I didn't have. And more annoyingly, it seems to be the rarest thing on earth. My local computer store doesn't sell it. Several stores I checked, sell it but don't stock it, you have to buy it online. Then I tried some Irish sites that sell it over the internet, and the delievery prices are just bloody ridiculous on the one's I looked at.

So can anyone tell me an easy, quick way of buying this stuff. I'm living in Kildare if it helps

Maybe stupid question ... but didn't you get it with your cpu and cooler ?? every time i ordered a new cpu the compound was in the box

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

weisses wrote: »
    Maybe stupid question ... but didn't you get it with your cpu and cooler ?? every time i ordered a new cpu the compound was in the box

Stupid question? Mate, the only thing stupid about that question is the answer! Yes, there is thermal compound in the cooler box and I nearly cried when I saw it. Well, I suppose it's all part of the learning process :mad:

Thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Stupid question? Mate, the only thing stupid about that question is the answer! Yes, there is thermal compound in the cooler box and I nearly cried when I saw it. Well, I suppose it's all part of the learning process :mad:

Thanks mate
    To be honest, that thermal compound you get is adequate, but not outstanding.

Personally, I buy IC7 Diamond from the land of Canadia! It really does make a difference, and now you can go "My computer is now Diamonds!" :pac:

• Advertisement

Leman wrote: »
    To be honest, that thermal compound you get is adequate, but not outstanding.

Personally, I buy IC7 Diamond from the land of Canadia! It really does make a difference, and now you can go "My computer is now Diamonds!" :pac:

Canada? That delievery will probably take a week or 2. It would be a different story if I had known about the thermal compound before I got the parts. Right now, it's depressing not being able to start building and I hate having the parts just lying there. As long as the thermal compound I have is "adequate", I think I'll go along with that.

Thanks though

Canada? That delievery will probably take a week or 2. It would be a different story if I had known about the thermal compound before I got the parts. Right now, it's depressing not being able to start building and I hate having the parts just lying there. As long as the thermal compound I have is "adequate", I think I'll go along with that.

Thanks though
    That's fine. Like I said, it does the job, otherwise I would be screaming at you to not use it. :D Half the fun of PC building is the learning experience and planing on how you can do it better next time. :)

And of course, if there ever comes a time when you need/feel like taking off the cooler and reseating it, you can always apply better TIM. ;)

Leman wrote: »
    That's fine. Like I said, it does the job, otherwise I would be screaming at you to not use it. :D Half the fun of PC building is the learning experience and planing on how you can do it better next time.

:p Yes, exactly. I haven't even started putting the parts together yet and there are already loads of things I have learned and things I know to do better for next time
    And of course, if there ever comes a time when you need/feel like taking off the cooler and reseating it, you can always apply better TIM. wink.gif

Oh really? I don't know that you could do that, thanks for that. :D

Oh really? I don't know that you could do that, thanks for that. :D

Yeah, especially with them icky stock ones, after a few years (or months if you are obsessive :P) the dust builds up and the cooler shifts and whatnot, so you take it off, give it a clean (Alcohol or Arcticlean) and reapply. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

in the future, amazon is your friend. cheap delivery and yours in 4 days or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

For future reference, memoryc sells a few varieties with free delivery. Or you could pay for next day if you were in a desperate hurry.
    http://www.memoryc.com/pccomponents/cooling.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Runtech

Monotype wrote: »
    For future reference, memoryc sells a few varieties with free delivery. Or you could pay for next day if you were in a desperate hurry.
    http://www.memoryc.com/pccomponents/cooling.html

Look up this brand. I think the concept is decent. You have benefits of cooling and none of the mess with thermal past.

"Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad 1x CPU

This liquid metalpad is the first heat conduction pad consisting of only 100% metal. It melts with just heating. This pack contains 1 pad suitable for a single CPU."

Advertisement