Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Office on West Street ran out of money today...

Options
  • 02-08-2011 3:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Two minutes after I had got mine :P

Went today and got my dole. Walked out and a few seconds later, drove by again. Noticed that in the two seconds since I had left, the doors had been closed and a crowd had gathered looking in the windows. Was just told they had run out of money at half 2 so shut the place down.

Felt lucky cause I'm not using hyperbole when I say it was seconds after they handed me mine they shut the place down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

fook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Apparently the postmaster or their family was the victim of a tiger kidnapping this morning, which netted the raiders a substantial amount so it's most likely for this reason that they closed the post office, either as a crime scene or due to the amount stolen rather than there being too many claimants...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/post-worker-and-family-abducted-in-louth-tiger-kidnapping-515118.html.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wertz wrote: »
    Apparently the postmaster or their family was the victim of a tiger kidnapping this morning, which netted the raiders a substantial amount so it's most likely for this reason that they closed the post office, either as a crime scene or due to the amount stolen rather than there being too many claimants...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/post-worker-and-family-abducted-in-louth-tiger-kidnapping-515118.html.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-officials-wife-and-child-abducted-in-drogheda-tiger-kidnapping-191783-Aug2011/
    GARDAÍ IN DROGHEDA are investigating a tiger kidnapping in which an An Post official, his partner and their child were abducted from their home last night.
    A number of men – at least one of whom was armed – entered the official’s house at about 10pm last night. The family were forced to remain in the house for a number of hours before all three were brought to another location.
    The official was then brought to the post office at West Street in Drogheda this morning, where he brought a sum of money to a specific location.
    The man’s partner and child were subsequently released unharmed at Damastown, Dublin 15, shortly after 1pm.
    A silver Opel Corsa car was found burned out in Clonee at around 11:30am this morning.
    Justice minister Alan Shatter said he ‘deplored’ the kidnapping, describing it as “one of the most vicious forms of crime and our sympathies go out to the victims.”

He added:
    Based on initial information I have received I have asked the Garda authorities to let me have a detailed report on the circumstances surrounding the incident, including, in particular, whether agreed procedures for dealing with this sort of incident were followed.
    Gardaí have appealed to the public for information on any suspicious activity at the following times and locations:
    • Forest Park housing estate, Drogheda from yesterday evening to noon today,
    • West Street post office, Drogheda from early this morning,
    • The Tyrrelstown to Clonee road at Damastown, Dublin 15, between 11am and 1:30pm today, and
    • Summerseat Housing Estate, Clonee, where the car was found burnt out this morning.
    Gardaí in Drogheda can be contacted at (041) 9838777 or the Garda Confidential Line at 1800 666 111.

http://www.thejournal.ie/an-post-officials-wife-and-child-abducted-in-drogheda-tiger-kidnapping-191783-Aug2011/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ok, in which case, allow me to apologise for the jokey nature of my opening post :( Not a massivly laughing matter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

very scary our town is so dangerous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ok, in which case, allow me to apologise for the jokey nature of my opening post :( Not a massivly laughing matter...

Yes it's sometimes better not to jump in half-cocked on something when you don't actually know the facts. Besides starting unfounded rumours, it can also be insensitive. :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well I don't think the OP intended anything insensitive, but now that we know the reason I shall close the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement