Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch on Saturday - Suggestions?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My parents are up from Cork for a visit at the weekend, and i'm looking for somewhere nice to bring them to lunch on Saturday. We're living in Portarlington but happy to go anywhere within an hours drive.

I would like to bring them somewhere known for really good quality more than anything else, and good variety would be great. Any suggestions would be great.

(I can return recommenations if ye're ever in cork :D)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Treacys of The Heath is always a good bet for lunch.

In town, i think perhaps the French 1/4 might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi, I had a simliar thread a while ago, you might find some suggestions here useful:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056302119
    (the Emo tea rooms sound good)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

O'Loughlins, main street, Portlaoise.

One of my old house mates was barman there and when working nights i get up and head around for lunch/breakfast. You could eat the same thing everyday and still enjoy it.

Great food, good size portions and decently priced. Treacy's is good too, but one thing i don't like is the waiting which by itself wouldn't be a major thing but the last two times i was in i waited that long that my grub was "cool" when i got it.

Haven't eaten in Port since i lived there 4 years ago so anywhere i suggest could be closed.:rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Stay in Port and go to the French !

Really good food, great service and the best coffee i've tasted (and i loooooooove my coffee )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Thanks for all the suggestions. Of all the suggestions the only place I've eaten in was the French (last Friday in fact). I did enjoy my lunch though.

What kind of food is served in the Tearooms in Emo. Keep meaning to head out there....but never quite making it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I've had salads etc out there and they are yum, only this is if its a nice day it can be hard to get a seat.

Lovely cakes etc as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Stay in Port and go to the French !

Really good food, great service and the best coffee i've tasted (and i loooooooove my coffee )

Sounds like Portlaoise needs to get an Italian quarter to outdo Portarlington :D

OP....Nino's! Wonderful American Burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey All, Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice........unfortunately the parents had done all the research prior to hitting the road so your advice was in vain.

However, just a heads up, we went to the Ballymore Inn in Ballymore Eustace and the food was fantastic and great value. It was genuinely excellent, and only about 40mins away. Just said i'd let people know in case you're looking for a change.

Thanks again.

Advertisement