Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aib credit card debt gone to belgard & company solicitors

Options
  • 02-08-2011 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello. I would like to get some advice and see if anyone have that problem too. I had credit card debt. I talked to aib and arranged i pay 35 euro per month back. First payment i did and then they ring me and said to i know i ve debt and i shud pay it all off. Before that i already have talked to someone in aib that i make payments per month to pay it off.. when i explained to the person one the phone she said that actually i ve to pay 200 per month which i cant as im unemployed at the moment. So i said i keep paying 35 per month as that was the deal before...a week later got letter that i have not made payment and i should pay all overdraft amount. I got so frustrated that I didnt even response to that i didnt see way out of talking to them so i thought i keep doing what i agreed to do with the first person i talked to. Now i got letter from belgard & company and they said i should suggest which options im gna choose so I emailed them long letter and suggested i pay every month the minimum. No reply. Now i got second letter that they will put me into court after 10 days so I rang them . The employee who picked up was so rude. I asked them why they didnt unserw the e mail and they said we didnt get it and thats not even a problem..can u pay all your amount back now..i said no i cant. They said why did u ring us then i said the same reason i have sen u letter that i wana pay back minimum amount a month . He was rude and said well thats gonna be 250 per month. How that can be minimum. Then after argueing awhile he said well lets do 25 per week and when you get the job you pay as a lot more. The way he talked to me i felt i was like a dog no appreciation or manners. I feel very bad and i would like to know if anyone have had the same problem. And how you dealt with them and are they actually gonna take you to court for debt of 1060 euro. Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I doubt they will take you to court for €1000, but they can.

I would refuse to deal with the solicitors as you contract was with AIB.

I would contact AIB and arrange a payment plan again.

Offer to send them a statement of your means with what is comming in and what's going out.

More importantly, go straight to MABS and ask for any help they can give you before other creditors start coming after you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Stellas

But I thought they sold my loan to them... anyways they awfuly rude ont he phone and they dont wanna give u any unserws i find it so frustrating. I do not wana deal with solicitors and specially with company been so rude... and you cant deal with them about your situation even when you tell them that you wanna pay them but you wanna know what options they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

i would definately go to MABS and discuss this them, about a year and ahalf ago i owed over €4000 ato bank of ireland and was unemployed so i restructured the loan and was paying €35 a week. Did you do all this over the phone or in a meeting? when i restructured my bank loan i had to meet with the bank and discuss it. Its an insult to every citizen in this country that the banks can behave like this after all the money they have been donated by the taxpayers.

I discussed it at the phone but the man who was talking to me wasnt very happy to hear that i wnt pay all the amount he kept repeating when im gna pay all the money

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Hi

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have debts with BOI which were much larger than yours. All the debts went to a solicitor. I talked with the solicitor who requested proof I was on social welfare.

Sent them a post office receipt of amount claimed each week. Could only afford 200e a month off a total debt of over 25000e. I kept paying this and started paying a lot more once I got work again. That was over two years ago and I never got taken to court.

I think if you make a genuiene effort and can prove you are in genuiene hardship, it will really help you. If they took you to court and your only income was social welfare, the Judge would just throw the case out, as social welfare does not count as income towards payment of a bank debt.

Just take it one payment at a time. Chances are, once they see you making regular and consistant payments, you will be fine.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all your advice.. I do try to pay it back but i find it hard to talk to them as they r very rude on the phone when it comes to talkin bout the debth and not able to pay all amount i quess i keep tryin..

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Stellas wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all your advice.. I do try to pay it back but i find it hard to talk to them as they r very rude on the phone when it comes to talkin bout the debth and not able to pay all amount i quess i keep tryin..

Exactly, that's all you can do. Just remember you are making a genuine effort and are paying all you can afford. As the saying goes... You cannot squeeze blood from a stone.

Remember also, the banks have been forgiven much, especially aib, which is essentially now fully owned by the Irish tax payer.

Continue to make an effort and I sincerely doubt they'll bring you to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Hi Stellas - looking at your post, I guess you are not Irish and English is not your first language. Don't worry too much about these guys - in this country, if you just don't have the money, they can't do anything to you. All they can expect is a reasonable contribution, which you seem to be offering.

Definitely talk to MABS about this - they will put your mind at ease.

Yeah I am not irish but it doesnt matter if i am or not...debt is debt :( i talk to them asap and see what they have to say, thanks everyone for replying i was so upset feeling more confident now as hopefully i wnt be brought to court :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

hopefully i wnt be brought to court :)

1.You won't be brought to court - it's almost certainly a bluff.
    2. Even if you were, you would not get in any trouble - you are trying to pay, and you can't give money that you need to live.

Things will work out ok for you. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bren.ryan

Hello. I would like to get some advice and see if anyone have that problem too. I had credit card debt. I talked to aib and arranged i pay 35 euro per month back. First payment i did and then they ring me and said to i know i ve debt and i shud pay it all off. Before that i already have talked to someone in aib that i make payments per month to pay it off.. when i explained to the person one the phone she said that actually i ve to pay 200 per month which i cant as im unemployed at the moment. So i said i keep paying 35 per month as that was the deal before...a week later got letter that i have not made payment and i should pay all overdraft amount. I got so frustrated that I didnt even response to that i didnt see way out of talking to them so i thought i keep doing what i agreed to do with the first person i talked to. Now i got letter from belgard & company and they said i should suggest which options im gna choose so I emailed them long letter and suggested i pay every month the minimum. No reply. Now i got second letter that they will put me into court after 10 days so I rang them . The employee who picked up was so rude. I asked them why they didnt unserw the e mail and they said we didnt get it and thats not even a problem..can u pay all your amount back now..i said no i cant. They said why did u ring us then i said the same reason i have sen u letter that i wana pay back minimum amount a month . He was rude and said well thats gonna be 250 per month. How that can be minimum. Then after argueing awhile he said well lets do 25 per week and when you get the job you pay as a lot more. The way he talked to me i felt i was like a dog no appreciation or manners. I feel very bad and i would like to know if anyone have had the same problem. And how you dealt with them and are they actually gonna take you to court for debt of 1060 euro. Thanks a mill
    Hi Stellas, Im Curious to find out, how has this all worked out so far? I have a similar problem with a personal loan, Probably more far more complicated at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Hang in there and keep in regular contact/negotiation with AIB. My partner had 1k credit card debt with halifax when they pulled out and also car finance with AIB, but found himself out of work at the same time. He wasn't entitled to any benefits due to him being non eu and me being in work (but I couldn't afford to pay his debts as well as mine and support us all-I didn't want him to take them out in the first place)
    The credit card debt & loan went to solicitors, car was repossessed of course, and they both chased for payment on the card/loan balance with letters threatening court and/or sheriff visit to take belongings and a judgement on our house should we sell(?we don't own!?) The creditors eventually settled down and both halved the value of the debts in question!
    I'm surprised they didn't send you an income and expenditure form to fill in before going down the route of getting collection agencies involved, BOI do that too.
    Pls no-one flame me for trying to get out of paying a debt etc., this is my OH's experience and I wouldn't have believed it only I seen his persistence and the letters from the creditors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I've deleted two posts that recommended a specific & commercial debt management service ... two years after the last post in this thread

Advertisement