Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should you leave a Spring powered Air Rifle cocked for?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Quick question.

How long is acceptable to leave a Spring powered Air Rifle cocked while out in the field.
    I know you should never leave it cocked while in storage as it may affect the spring but while shooting is 30 mins acceptable to have it loaded?

Mac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

mac80 wrote: »
    Quick question.

How long is acceptable to leave a Spring powered Air Rifle cocked while out in the field.
    I know you should never leave it cocked while in storage as it may affect the spring but while shooting is 30 mins acceptable to have it loaded?

Mac

Springs the more they are used the weaker they become, also the longer they are left compressed the longer they have to go into their plastic range (ie compress and not expand when pressure is released)

So if you want to be anal about it, never compress a spring.

If you want to be realistic about it, don't worry about it unless Rifle is very old with a weak spring

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

depending on the model and make,you can now replace the spring with a thing called a gasram,its a sealed tube that when you cock the gun it uses compressed air in a cylinder instead of a spring,very reliable and can leave it cocked for as long as you like,,try the net for these,loads of U.K. dealers doing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Yeah I see Theoben do a RAMfor my Gamo Hunter 440, I'll probably invest in one in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

mac80 wrote: »
    Mac,
    Shoot away, there aren't enough hours in a day for you to be in the field long enough to cause and real/measurable damage to your spring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement