Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for pups

• 02-08-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Looking for a one of the following pups.

Border Collie.
    Kerry Blue.
    Old English sheepdog.
    Husky.

Any good family dog.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is it one of each??:confused:

They are all very different breeds so if its just one you need to do A LOT of research into each one as they are all very different dogs with different exercise needs and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

They are all high energy independant breeds but with enough research and dedication any dog can make a good family pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I know of a male 16 month old husky/collie cross looking for a home at the moment if thats any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

ISDW wrote: »
    I know of a male 16 month old husky/collie cross looking for a home at the moment if thats any help?

Any reason why he is being rehomed. I am looking for a pup but.. you never
    know. I have a Border Collie now but he is being pup to sleep today.
    The kids are in bits and a pup will help keep their minds of his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Please don't think I'm sticking my nose into your business here but just a thought, if your dog is being pts today (I'm very sorry by the way), do you think you might give yourself and your kids/family a bit of time to grieve before getting another dog? I know when my last dog died 4.5 years ago it took a few months before I could even face being around other dogs, I needed time to let him go and get my head around it before I got another one, people kept telling me to get another dog and it used to piss me off that they thought I could just replace him so quickly. I don't have kids so don't know about teaching them life lessons or anything like that but maybe this could be an opportunity for them to learn something about life and teach them that dogs are living creatures and shouldn't just be replaced?

Not judging, just saying.

Or I could just be talking out of my a**e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

That's true for you, Tranceypoo, but on the other side of the coin some years ago, we had to put our dog down and the very next day my mother got a pup from our local rescue. It didn't mean we loved the other dog less or that the newer one got compared to the old one and was found lacking or anything, my mother just needed a dog to cope with her loss.

I'm not saying that to be argumentative, just that sometimes a person or family are able to take on a dog straight after a loss.

Either way, I wish your family all the best, OP, it's never easy putting a dog to sleep and I hope that you find another suitable companion soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

dunno i myself would think that waiting a while would be best .i dont think that replacing something to help get over a loss is a good idea imo. like losing anything close to the heart i think time to get over it is healthy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Any reason why he is being rehomed. I am looking for a pup but.. you never
    know. I have a Border Collie now but he is being pup to sleep today.
    The kids are in bits and a pup will help keep their minds of his passing.

Unfortunately family reasons dictate, another baby on the way, and the father of the family is away for days/weeks at a time working, and they don't feel that they can give the dog the time that he deserves. He sounds as though he is pretty high energy:) Although he also likes to sleep on the settee of an evening.

If you're interested pm me an email address and I can send you some photos, the family live in Dublin if thats any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

You should have a look thru the rehoming section op there are some young dogs there looking for new homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 snowy two

I know of beautiful golden labrador pups which would be excellent family pets.

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Please don't think I'm sticking my nose into your business here but just a thought, if your dog is being pts today (I'm very sorry by the way), do you think you might give yourself and your kids/family a bit of time to grieve before getting another dog? I know when my last dog died 4.5 years ago it took a few months before I could even face being around other dogs, I needed time to let him go and get my head around it before I got another one, people kept telling me to get another dog and it used to piss me off that they thought I could just replace him so quickly. I don't have kids so don't know about teaching them life lessons or anything like that but maybe this could be an opportunity for them to learn something about life and teach them that dogs are living creatures and shouldn't just be replaced?

Not judging, just saying.

Or I could just be talking out of my a**e.

You are absolutely right. I cannot believe how upset I am. It was like loosing
    a family member. He was a super dog. Can`t even bare to look out the
    back garden. I am a big softie..LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

I know somebody trying to rehome a german shepard/collie cross puppy as they have to move out of the country. They've had a few people offer to take him but were waiting to see if they could find the perfect home with a family to make a fuss of him. I could send you some pictures if you wanted?

He has a lovely temperament, a little dote.

Sorry about your collie by the way!

Thanks Martha.
    Not a fan of German Shepherds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

LucyBliss wrote: »
    That's true for you, Tranceypoo, but on the other side of the coin some years ago, we had to put our dog down and the very next day my mother got a pup from our local rescue. It didn't mean we loved the other dog less or that the newer one got compared to the old one and was found lacking or anything, my mother just needed a dog to cope with her loss.

I'm not saying that to be argumentative, just that sometimes a person or family are able to take on a dog straight after a loss.

Either way, I wish your family all the best, OP, it's never easy putting a dog to sleep and I hope that you find another suitable companion soon.

No, you're right, everyone reacts and deals with it differently. I remember when our dog died when I was a teenager (a thousand years ago) and even a couple of years later my dad rescued a dog from a bad situation where he was working, brought her home and we kept her but it took me a really really long time to come round to another dog in the house - what can I say, I was a sensitive soul!!! PS she lived a long happy life and even outlived my dear old dad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Don't know where you are OP but was at Limerick Animal Welfare today and they had a litter of stunning german shephard pups looking for homes.

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.ie/

go onto dogs for rehoming and it has a picture of two of them.

We are collecting a Collie pup from Donedeal tomorrow.
    Kids are really excited. Hopefully it takes their mind of the death of our dog.

Advertisement