Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are estimates estimated?

• 02-08-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭

I'm building a new house, and as part of the process I've recently being connected to the grid. Due to the house not being completed yet the usage is very low. My first bill was €25 approx. This was fine. I then received my second bill which was estimated at being €251. What part of having an initial and therefore average bill of €25 would make ESB think that my estimated usage for my second bill was going to be €251. :mad:

Due to being away for the weekend and having limited access to the site I haven't been able to find out the real figure so now on only my second bill my Direct Debit is going to fail, and its simply down to ESB's crazy estimation.

Can anyone explain how these estimations are calculated? and also is there anything I can do this close to the bill date (5th Aug) to rectify my account and avoid any black marks against it at this early stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Hi Quazzie, I presume that the estimation would be based in part at least on the first bill. I dont know how many days the first bill was for, its normally every two months but if it was for say 30 days and if it was read, and came to e.g €50 I presume that the ESBs's sysemt will say 30 days equals €50 so 60 days should equal €100.
    I would say that the ESB lads will explain it better but there may also have been heavy usage of power tools, electric saws plainers kangos etc so that might have driven the bill up.Anyway regarding the dd I think if you contact the bank involved NOW they may be able to put a stop on it. Its called a bank indemnity (I think) so it would mean that no money would move until you were happy that the amount was correct but you might need to ring them asap.Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Quazzie,

Do you want us to have a look at your account for you? If so, can you private message me the account number and the name/address/telephone number of the named account-holder?

Just to advise: for data protection/security, we can only discuss the account with the named account-holder.

Regards :)
    Una

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hi Quazzie,

Do you want us to have a look at your account for you? If so, can you private message me the account number and the name/address/telephone number of the named account-holder?

Just to advise: for data protection/security, we can only discuss the account with the named account-holder.

Regards :)
    Una

I'll send that this evening (info is at home). I'll also try get the actual reading for this evening if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Ok Quazzie. We are here until 6 and we will be back in the morning at 9.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Could it be that a deposit was built into the second bill?

• Advertisement
Advertisement