Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife sharpening

Options
  • 02-08-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Looking for some where that will sharpen my kitchen knives. The ideal would be around the Cabinteely, Deans Grange, Stillorgan, Dun Laoghaire areas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Go and buy a whetstone and a steel. Getting and keeping your kitchen knives sharp is a skill that takes about 20 minutes to master, and will save time and money in the future.

A steel will cost about a tenner and will last longer than you will, a whetstone, will be about a fiver and will also last years(read centuries).

There are numerous videos online of how to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Nah, don't do that.

Take the knife (non serrated), try and slice a tomato with it. If it's blunt it will more squash it thatn cut it.

Then...

Take an old ceramic mug, a regular run of the mill coffe mug and turn it upside down, this will reveal the unglazed bottom rim of the mug. Run the angled blade of the knife across the base (the angle is important, roughly 30 degrees off the surface of the mugs rim, don't press too hard, basically just a smidge more than the weight of the knife will do. Do this on both sides of the blade edge of the knife.

The mug is made of a material that is harder than the knife and you will see a black material deposit on the mug, this is the steel being removed from the blade (tiny amounts). Run water across it and the steel will wash off. As long as you don't press too hard with the blade the mug will not be damaged by this, as it is harder than the knife.

Now try and slice the tomato. The knife should glide though it. Does for me.

Cheap, free and very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I know how to sharpen knives myself, but seeing as its not for me I still need the knife sharpener

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ask your local friendly butcher. They should do it for you for free, wouldn't do it yourself unless you really know what you're doing otherwise it's bye bye knives

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Looking for some where that will sharpen my kitchen knives.

I am in Waterford and I don't do serrations!

Other than that I'm good, need edge I am available!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 karesz68

If you still looking for someone, and you need only the top, just check this out! www.sharpknife.eu
    and click on this on as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTaRg7YHCa4&feature=share
    If you need futher information, please do not hasitate contact me!
    Kindest Regards! Karoly Bartha pro knife sharpener. Dublin Ranelagh Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Paul Byrne of M&P Byrne on Patrick St in Dunlaoghaire will do it for you.

21/25

Advertisement