Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature student 2nd year in college

Options
  • 02-08-2011 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi i was wondering could anyone help me here or offer any advice,i am currently going into 2nd year nursing in college this year,i managed to get the top up grant last year as i went under as a dependent mature student and my mum gets a lone parents benefit so i qualified however i gave up working full time and at the time of application the grants office requested my p45 which i gave. however i got rehired as a casual worker at the weekends and stuff in the same company. however when i applied this year i was informed that my p45 form last year did not match up to my p60 so i got a nasty letter sent from the grants office wanting me to explain that if i had left work why was my p60 showing a different amount. obviously the reason for this is due to the casual work when i was rehired by the same company. can you not work as a casual when you are receiving the grant because this is the first time ive ever came across this??any information is kindly appreciated

p.s sorry for the long and boring message

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

schmoops wrote: »
    can you not work as a casual when you are receiving the grant because this is the first time ive ever came across this??any information is kindly appreciated

Firstly yes you can work when you are in receipt of the grant however If you failed to declare your employment then this could be seen as fraud and you could loose your grant and the BTEA (if you are receiving this also.)

As long as you declared all the information you are required to declare you shouldn't have any dramas with this issue im going to assume that the grants office ( is this the VEC ?) want you to attend a meeting to talk about this issue, if not i would (personal preference) arrange a meeting to talk this issue over with the relevant person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 schmoops

ok thanks for your reply, i have submitted my p 60 so in my eyes i have given all documentation required and i wasnt hiding the fact that im working. i wrote them back explaining the situation so i guess ill just wait for a reply. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Can you arrange an appointment with them to discuss your case? I think you would explain things better in person than in a letter.

Hopefully it works out for you.

Advertisement