Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Mazda Bongo to Ireland.

• 02-08-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi all

I recently bought a 1997 2.5L Diesel Mazda Bongo in the UK to take on a trip round Europe. It has a full side conversion with sink, gas cooker, rock n roll bed, table, electric hook up, pop top roof etc etc.

The original plan was to sell it on after the trip but I love it and it has been nothing short of brilliant so now I want to import it to Ireland.

I have a few questions though before I do this:

1. It is registered as a Motor Caravan on the UK V5 form - will this help me getting it registered as a camper in Ireland?
    2. If I did bring it to Ireland what am I looking at paying in terms of VRT, road tax and any other costs. (I have an insurance quote already)
    3. If things were to go wrong is there places in Ireland I can go to get things fixed or will this be very difficult for me in Ireland?
    4. Is there a market there to sell it on in a few years if I am looking at getting something bigger. (its a great wagon with full service history, a loving owner for last 5 years before me, and runs great... I also just had it waxoyled and undersealed, installed a nice new fridge and bike rack)
    5. Finally to all you camper owners and enthusiasts, is this a bad move.... I don't currently own a car in Ireland so I was going to use this as my everyday for a year or so until I get another car at home in Ireland. I'm aprehensive in that I could sell it on now and probably get all my money back but I love it so don't want to let such a good camper go! But will I really use it in ireland??

Thanks for the help
    Printer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Printer wrote: »
    Hi all

I recently bought a 1997 2.5L Diesel Mazda Bongo in the UK to take on a trip round Europe. It has a full side conversion with sink, gas cooker, rock n roll bed, table, electric hook up, pop top roof etc etc.

The original plan was to sell it on after the trip but I love it and it has been nothing short of brilliant so now I want to import it to Ireland.

I have a few questions though before I do this:

1. It is registered as a Motor Caravan on the UK V5 form - will this help me getting it registered as a camper in Ireland?

Yes, you just need to import it as opposed to the rigmarole of re-classifying it

2. If I did bring it to Ireland what am I looking at paying in terms of VRT, road tax and any other costs. (I have an insurance quote already)

13.5% of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) which is whatever the revenue deem it to be worth when the time comes. There is no guidelines, its totally up to them.
    3. If things were to go wrong is there places in Ireland I can go to get things fixed or will this be very difficult for me in Ireland?

Depending where you're based, there are a few places around yes. Pat Horans in Tipp is one, Donaghy's in Letterkenny is another.
    4. Is there a market there to sell it on in a few years if I am looking at getting something bigger. (its a great wagon with full service history, a loving owner for last 5 years before me, and runs great... I also just had it waxoyled and undersealed, installed a nice new fridge and bike rack)

Buyers market these days I'm afraid
    5. Finally to all you camper owners and enthusiasts, is this a bad move.... I don't currently own a car in Ireland so I was going to use this as my everyday for a year or so until I get another car at home in Ireland. I'm aprehensive in that I could sell it on now and probably get all my money back but I love it so don't want to let such a good camper go! But will I really use it in ireland??

Thanks for the help
    Printer

Campervan insurance doesn't cover use as a daily driver. They only cover occasional use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Hi

Firstly thank you so much for a great reply. It has cleared up a lot for me and it is great to know it will be straighforward to get it registered as a camper.

I had a look on ros.ie about VRT and put in all the details about my Mazda Bongo. It didnt allow me to mention anything about it being a camper and VRT looks like it will be €1300 or so... its a lot of money so I really need to think about this.

When you say Campervan insurance only covers occasional use, how is this classified and is there any way around it? What do other people do who have converted VW transporters and use them on an every day basis?

Finally does anyone have any idea what kind of price Mazda Bongos with full side conversion sell for in Republic of Ireland? I had a look online but cant find any with full side conversion to compare.

Hi

Firstly thank you so much for a great reply. It has cleared up a lot for me and it is great to know it will be straighforward to get it registered as a camper.

I had a look on ros.ie about VRT and put in all the details about my Mazda Bongo. It didnt allow me to mention anything about it being a camper and VRT looks like it will be €1300 or so... its a lot of money so I really need to think about this.

You won't find anything online. You will only find out how much it is going to cost when you submit documents to the revenue and they pluck a figure out of the air, er I mean calculate what the OMSP is.
    When you say Campervan insurance only covers occasional use, how is this classified and is there any way around it? What do other people do who have converted VW transporters and use them on an every day basis?

No idea how other people get away with it, but if you check out someone like dolmen, their downloadable documents implicitly state it.
    Finally does anyone have any idea what kind of price Mazda Bongos with full side conversion sell for in Republic of Ireland? I had a look online but cant find any with full side conversion to compare.

Sorry, can't help I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Theres a side conversion here but that bench is a liability really.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2275589

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No idea how other people get away with it, but if you check out someone like dolmen, their downloadable documents implicitly state it.
    I think at least one of the campervan insurers do cover as a daily driver, for a relatively expensive price (circa €650 iirc). However, I'm not sure whether they still need a car policy for it to piggy back on (for us, it would still be the second family vehicle so it wouldn't have been an issue). My advice would be to ring or email dolmen or stuarts - they're helpful enough.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think at least one of the campervan insurers do cover as a daily driver, for a relatively expensive price (circa €650 iirc). However, I'm not sure whether they still need a car policy for it to piggy back on (for us, it would still be the second family vehicle so it wouldn't have been an issue). My advice would be to ring or email dolmen or stuarts - they're helpful enough.

Stuarts and dolmen both require a car policy, else its the more expensive at least. Not sure if they will take on a policy without a car policy, but can't fully remember.

Hi guys

Thanks for that. I spoke to Dolmen and they assured me I can use the Mazda Bongo as my everyday vehicle as long as it is not used for work purposes, getting to and from work is fine though.

VRT:
    Ok so it has really come to crunch time for me with importing the Bongo. Is there any way at all of knowing a ball park figure for VRT that I will be expected to pay. On the bongofury website someone said I'd be looking at 2.5k-3k in VRT... surely that can't be right.

If it is 1000-15000euro then I can handle that but if its going to be nearly double that then I would have to just leave it and try and sell in the UK. Any ideas guys? Is there any way I can find out a ball park figure??

Selling:
    Thanks for the link there, well I feel a bit better now as my van is much much nicer than that with no rust whatsoever and a really top notch conversion. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

................I would have to just leave it and try and sell in the UK...............

How long do you own the Bongo, are you currently living in the UK, are you aware that if you have owned a vehicle for (I think) at least 12 months before you transfer residence to the RoI no VRT or VAT is payable if you don't sell it for (I think) 6 months after you arrive here.

Hi guys

Thanks for that. I spoke to Dolmen and they assured me I can use the Mazda Bongo as my everyday vehicle as long as it is not used for work purposes, getting to and from work is fine though.

VRT:
    Ok so it has really come to crunch time for me with importing the Bongo. Is there any way at all of knowing a ball park figure for VRT that I will be expected to pay. On the bongofury website someone said I'd be looking at 2.5k-3k in VRT... surely that can't be right.

If it is 1000-15000euro then I can handle that but if its going to be nearly double that then I would have to just leave it and try and sell in the UK. Any ideas guys? Is there any way I can find out a ball park figure??

Selling:
    Thanks for the link there, well I feel a bit better now as my van is much much nicer than that with no rust whatsoever and a really top notch conversion. Thanks.

There is no way of knowing what the VRT will be until you submit your documentation to the revenue office. However, if you know what the rough value of the van is if you were to sell it here on Irish plates, then 13.5% of that would be your ballpark.

Hi guys

thanks for that. We bought it for £6300 so I guess approx €6500 on Irish plates as the value.

I am an Irish resident, I bought the van with my English girlfriend. We had originally planned to sell it but now I want to bring it to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it, I have just a few more questions,

1) Will the Bongo be Nct exempt?

2) what steps do I need to take now as I am planning on arriving in Ireland on the 22nd!!!!

Thanks again

Hi all,
    Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it, I have just a few more questions,

1) Will the Bongo be Nct exempt?

Yes, but it will need a DOE test instead. Note, i said need and not required. Its not in legislation as of yet so you technically don't have to have it done, but no harm. Insurance may look for it, they may not.
    2) what steps do I need to take now as I am planning on arriving in Ireland on the 22nd!!!!

Thanks again

Contact the NCTS and make a VRT appointment with them. http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html (half way down the page it refers to used vehicles)

Book it in, fill in the form etc.... and pop over to them. Chances are, they'll tell you they'll be in touch with you as regards the amount of VRT is due on it and take it from there. Make sure you have the V5 from the UK.

Thanks for that. How and where do I get a DOE form?

For booking in the van for NCT and VRT will that take long? Im away travelling till Sunday so probably wont get to fill in form till then. Is that ok since I am driving over to Ireland with van on Monday?

Thanks for that. How and where do I get a DOE form?

For booking in the van for NCT and VRT will that take long? Im away travelling till Sunday so probably wont get to fill in form till then. Is that ok since I am driving over to Ireland with van on Monday?

Go online onto the NCTS site and book it through there for the VRT. Make sure you book a VRT appointment and not an NCT, and they will give you a list of available dates. Failing that, phone them.

Any VTN registered commercial garage can do a DOE, but I wouldn't bother with that just yet unless you're asked..... Unless you just want peace of mind.

Thanks for that, all set now to go to NCTS on August 29th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

hi just wondering how much was it to vrt? i also have a bongo and have to vrt it thanks!

Hey

My VRT was €931 in total. The van was valued at €7000. I think I will appeal it though as I didn't pay that much for it.

On a separate note:
    Do you know of any garages in Ireland that are Bongo Friendly as I need some work done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

hi,
    its a bit unfair how they value them, when i bought her i was expecting the 1500 mark so 9ish is alot better but not great, heard they will only give back a small percentage! good question dont know of any of hand a friend of mine is thinking of getting one aswell he checked it out and found only 3 i think that had they service bongos ill see if i can get the details of him, a good mechanic should have no problems tho!
    thanks for the heads up

Hey

My VRT was €931 in total. The van was valued at €7000. I think I will appeal it though as I didn't pay that much for it.

On a separate note:
    Do you know of any garages in Ireland that are Bongo Friendly as I need some work done?

7000 would have been reasonable enough a couple of years ago but they are going as little as €3500 all summer. I'd appeal print this off to help your case.

Bongo Camper Donedeal: http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/campers/2463629?utm_source=AtomFeed&utm_medium=webfeed

You can include work done in your appeal probably have to be dated before vrt app.

Hi PaddyP

We had €300 worth of body/rust work done last June when I owned it with my girlfriend in england, I then bought it off her. What would the advantage be of me putting that in with the appeal though?

Would that not only increase the value as it was work done before I bought it from her?

• Advertisement

Hi PaddyP

We had €300 worth of body/rust work done last June when I owned it with my girlfriend in england, I then bought it off her. What would the advantage be of me putting that in with the appeal though?

Would that not only increase the value as it was work done before I bought it from her?

I know other people have sumitted receipts for engine work and had it taken into consideration, I suppose now that I think of it again its work that needs to be done rather than work done.

The vrt is based on the omsp but imagine if it was crashed on the front end or the head gasket is gone, its obviously worth a lot less than their estimated omsp. You say you need work done to it get an estimate from the mechanic and submit that.

Don't expect to get much back in the appeal though it just the principle of the thing. My father in law paid €7000 on a hymer that was overvalued by about 30% he got €500 back in the appeal, hardly worth the hassle but it paid for a ferry ticket.

Hi guys

I thought it was important to share this with everyone. My Mazda Bongo was originally valued at €7000 and I had to pay over €900 VRT on it. I sent a letter to appeal it with back up from donedeal to show what I felt the van was worth.

I got a letter back today saying it has been revalued at €4400 and I am getting tax rebate of €346 in the post in the next few days...

Moral of the story, it is definitely worth sending a letter to appeal!

Hi guys

I thought it was important to share this with everyone. My Mazda Bongo was originally valued at €7000 and I had to pay over €900 VRT on it. I sent a letter to appeal it with back up from donedeal to show what I felt the van was worth.

I got a letter back today saying it has been revalued at €4400 and I am getting tax rebate of €346 in the post in the next few days...

Moral of the story, it is definitely worth sending a letter to appeal!

Within reason yes, not just doing it for the sake of doing it tho.

Advertisement