Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Burial Records online

Options
  • 02-08-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭

Website launched detailing burial records dating back to 1898 in Kerry

A website has been launched detailing burial records dating back to 1898 in Kerry.
    Kerry County Council and the county's three town councils, Killarney, Listowel and Tralee, came together to launch the website along with local Leader groups.
    The site will allow members of the public access burial registers in 140 Kerry Local Authority graveyards.
    168 books were scanned for the site, which comprises approximately 70,000 records.
    They can be viewed at www.kerrylaburials.ie

http://www.kerrylaburials.ie/en/index.aspx

I haven't yet found any that go back to 1898, and have found that the burial of one of my relatives wasn't even written in the register. Yet another relative's address was incorrect.

I don't know who's responsible for completing the registers, but one or two people weren't concentrating (they could be dead themselves at this stage).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

ejmaztec wrote: »
    http://www.kerrylaburials.ie/en/index.aspx

I haven't yet found any that go back to 1898, and have found that the burial of one of my relatives wasn't even written in the register. Yet another relative's address was incorrect.

I don't know who's responsible for completing the registers, but one or two people weren't concentrating (they could be dead themselves at this stage).

Agreed. While I'm delighted to see them available and congratulate KCC for doing it I'm disappointed to see so many errors, so many missing entries, missing years etc. Also the standard of entry is very poor in places - writing nearly illegible, atrocious spelling which may make searching for individuals difficult, ink blots, scribbles etc.
    I'm also think some families may be embarrassed to see that some registrars were very conscientious and have made very accurate entries, e.g. suicide, T.B. "following a fight" etc.
    I was shocked and angered though to read one entry in a North Kerry book for the 1960s - It contains the name "Brien" , no age, sex, Christian name, religion or anything else - followed by the word "Tinker".
    Every other entry on the page is completed meticulously.

But, back on topic, it's a great resource and as a KCC spokesperson said on Raidio Na G there are probably books for many burial grounds lying in presses, under beds etc so people should hand them in whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

lottpaul wrote: »
    Agreed. While I'm delighted to see them available and congratulate KCC for doing it I'm disappointed to see so many errors, so many missing entries, missing years etc. Also the standard of entry is very poor in places - writing nearly illegible, atrocious spelling which may make searching for individuals difficult, ink blots, scribbles etc.
    I'm also think some families may be embarrassed to see that some registrars were very conscientious and have made very accurate entries, e.g. suicide, T.B. "following a fight" etc.
    I was shocked and angered though to read one entry in a North Kerry book for the 1960s - It contains the name "Brien" , no age, sex, Christian name, religion or anything else - followed by the word "Tinker".
    Every other entry on the page is completed meticulously.

But, back on topic, it's a great resource and as a KCC spokesperson said on Raidio Na G there are probably books for many burial grounds lying in presses, under beds etc so people should hand them in whenever possible.

In the Kiltomey one, quite a number of people had "hearth trouble" as the cause of death. I can't imagine there was a spate of deaths in the fireplace, or people falling down the chimney, so I'm assuming that whoever filled in the register meant "heart".:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shanahap

Hi all,

Was in Ancestry.co.uk and got sent to here:

http://www.kerrylaburials.ie

I remember being able to access this website before. Is it down? Has it been down for long? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Is Kerryburials.com same site?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

phormium wrote: »
    Is Kerryburials.com same site?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Back online now

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Thanks for posting this thread

MODS: Is there a link to this thread on Society & Culture / History & Heritage / Genealogy here on Boards ?

NOTE: there are TWO distinct & different websites mentioned.

http://www.kerrylaburials.ie/en/index.aspx ......is the new KCC website.

http://kerryburials.com/ .......is a most interesting Kerry Headstone Project started by Joe Maher in 2013 ("with Kay Caball genealogist has taken a great interest in my project and given some sound advice"). Donations if desired and well deserved btw.

Advertisement