Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity welcome letter

Options
  • 02-08-2011 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Just got a letter from them saying they delighted i switched over and my gas supply has been transferred..i havent switched over and am worried now that i'll end up losing whatever credit i had with Bord Gais,,they have some cheek and im sick to death of telling them to go away from the door,,has anyone else gotten a letter when they havent switched??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just phone them up promptly and CALMLY explain you did not wish to switch. That's all it should take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Also call Bord Gais and make sure you tell them you're not switching either!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed - ring both suppliers. Tell Airtricity that you did not sign up for their services and that you do not wish to transfer. Also ring Bord Gais and confirm with them that there is no transfer order on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

thanks everyone,,rang this morn and they said it was a glitch in there system over the weekend and sent letters to all there old customers!!!was very apologetic so she was:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thank the lord for boards.ie or I might have made the mistake of signing up with that crowd of incompetent idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

I havent seen this anywhere on boards yet so Im posting it here. Im a flogas customer for gas and I received a letter the other day from Airtricty welcoming me as a new customer. As I never switched to them I got a bit angry to say the least.

I contacted Flogas to ask them how this could happen. Flogas told me Im still with them, I was told that Airtricity have written to a large number of flogas customers stating that they had switched to Airtricity when in fact they had not moved at all. What disturbed me more was that the letter I got from Airtricity had an Airtricity account number. I asked Flogas what they intended to do and they said they they had contacted the body over this area regarding the issue but god knows that help that would do, sure I havent even read about it anywhere online !!!

One of my girlfriends mates works for Airtricity ( so straight on to her we were) and she told the other half that a couple of thousand people were catch on this thing and it was some internal Airtricity mistake.

Im more worried about how the hell they got my details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TechFreak wrote: »
    I havent seen this anywhere on boards yet so Im posting it here. Im a flogas customer for gas and I received a letter the other day from Airtricty welcoming me as a new customer. As I never switched to them I got a bit angry to say the least.

I contacted Flogas to ask them how this could happen. Flogas told me Im still with them, I was told that Airtricity have written to a large number of flogas customers stating that they had switched to Airtricity when in fact they had not moved at all. What disturbed me more was that the letter I got from Airtricity had an Airtricity account number. I asked Flogas what they intended to do and they said they they had contacted the body over this area regarding the issue but god knows that help that would do, sure I havent even read about it anywhere online !!!

One of my girlfriends mates works for Airtricity ( so straight on to her we were) and she told the other half that a couple of thousand people were catch on this thing and it was some internal Airtricity mistake.

Im more worried about how the hell they got my details.
    Apparently this was sent out "in error" to thousands of former customers but it does seem very suspicious when they are known to have very aggressive sales practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This recent thread is sitting at the top of page 2 which means it was probably at the bottom of page 1 when you started your thread, it seems to refer to the same cock-up error.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056345306

coylemj wrote: »
    This recent thread is sitting at the top of page 2 which means it was probably at the bottom of page 1 when you started your thread, it seems to refer to the same cock-up error.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056345306

I saw that thread but as it related to Bord Gais I thought that was just a standard Airtricity cock-up error. I had thought this problem only related to Flogas but maybe it has affected former customers of Airtricity no matter what supplier they are now with.

Surely there's some data protection screw up involved here. I never would have been with them in the past if I knew they'd retain my data.

Mods : In light of the above could you maybe change the title of this thread to

Airtricity illegally contacting former customers stating they are now back with Airtricity

I saw that thread but as it related to Bord Gais I thought that was just a standard Airtricity cock-up error. I had thought this problem only related to Flogas but maybe it has affected former customers of Airtricity no matter what supplier they are now with.

Surely there's some data protection screw up involved here. I never would have been with them in the past if I knew they'd retain my data.

Mods : In light of the above could you maybe change the title of this thread to

Airtricity illegally contacting former customers stating they are now back with Airtricity

You know pretty much any company you've been with in the past will still have your name and address on file? What if three or four years down the line you had a query about a payment and you rang them up only for them to tell you "oh we dumped every record we had of you when you cancelled with us?" you'd be in a balls wouldn't you?

• Advertisement

Threads merged

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Threads merged

dudara

Thanks for merging thread but could we get title change as requested. The Welcome Letter title doesnt really relate to the issue I raised. Could you ammend the thread title to

The key point I was trying to get across is that these letters are being issued to customers who are with other suppliers and no longer with Airtricity.

I dont think that comes across in the current thread title.

January wrote: »
    You know pretty much any company you've been with in the past will still have your name and address on file? What if three or four years down the line you had a query about a payment and you rang them up only for them to tell you "oh we dumped every record we had of you when you cancelled with us?" you'd be in a balls wouldn't you?

Surely they cant use your old customer records though to contact you out of the blue saying that your now their new customer when that isnt the case.

Surely they cant use your old customer records though to contact you out of the blue saying that your now their new customer when that isnt the case.

Apparently it was a glitch though, they happen sometimes, your account wasn't switched, as was confirmed by your old company and Airtricity. Listen, I'm the last one to be singing the praises of Airtricity, I hate them, but mistakes happen and as long as the switch didn't initiate then you've nothing to worry about.

I don't feel that a thread title change is required - you were both affected by exactly the same issue.

Can you validate your use of the word "illegal"?

dudara wrote: »
    I don't feel that a thread title change is required - you were both affected by exactly the same issue.

Can you validate your use of the word "illegal"?
    With regards to the title I don't believe it actually portrays the issue. With regards to the illegality statement I believe airtricity used my previous customer information to illegally contact me (albeit in error or a clear marketing plot) without my permission. Just read on the regulators site that the data protection commissioner is now also getting involved

http://http://www.energycustomers.ie/faqs/index.aspx#Airtricity

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MikeR

I would suggest that you just contact CER. www.cer.ie
    They will tell you what to do.

Advertisement