Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadowing a doctor - how to organise?

Options
  • 02-08-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hi guys,

I am applying to do graduate medicine next year but I would really like to shadow a doctor first to get a first hand view of what is going on. I know i won't be able to get too involved and I am merely looking to stay back and observe how things operate in the hospital from the doctors perspective. i would be happy even sitting on a chair outside his office seeing him/her talk to patients as they walk into the office. I would be delighted if a surgeon would take the time to show me around or if an ER doctor would let me sit in the hospital and watch how the doctors examine the ER patients.

Is there any chance of me getting a shadowing position like this? I am just looking to do it for a couple of hours or as long as the doctor would feel comfortable having me there.

I am 27 at the moment and have always wanted to be a doctor and I am really studying hard for the gamsat exam in london in september. i just would love to get the experience of seeing a doctor in action before i commit to a long, hard degree!

OK, enough rambling! My plan of action is to simply call up hospitals and ask them if they could arrange for me to shadow. Alternatively I was considering going to hospitals and asking in person? How should I approach it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Maybe try some of the medical schools first and see if they can direct you to the appropriate channels? Failing that, perhaps ask your GP if they have such contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭paulcummins

you think i would have some luck ringing up rcsi, tcd or ucd?

i will probably have to go to a GP and ask them if they have any contacts.

its going to be extremely difficult to get what i am looking for without some kind of help from someone on the inside and a GP is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You might find that the smaller hospitals are more receptive to the idea of someone having a look around. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Advertisement