Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn insurance??

• 02-08-2011 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I rang quinn today and told them i was thinking of upgrading my bike(honda cg 125) to a honda bros 400cc,and just wanted a quote on what the insurance will be like.The operator told me that i got to be 21 for any bike over 250cc.I even told him that it would be restricted and didnt care.So is it true that i gotta be 21 to get a bigger bike then a 125?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

No, it is not true.
    You can get your A licence at 18, and if you do, your restriction would be up when you are 20.

So, at 20 you could ride any bike you like (so long as you can get insurance).

They are just trying to get out of giving you a quote.

Go onto their website - http://www.quinn-direct.com/ireland/motorcycle/
    and get a quote there.

Don't forget to contact the other 3 insurance providers -
    Aonn
    Adilade
    Carole Nash
    - and see if they will insure you.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

navangang wrote: »
    I rang quinn today and told them i was thinking of upgrading my bike(honda cg 125) to a honda bros 400cc,and just wanted a quote on what the insurance will be like.The operator told me that i got to be 21 for any bike over 250cc.I even told him that it would be restricted and didnt care.So is it true that i gotta be 21 to get a bigger bike then a 125?

quinns operators work to what seems to be a strange script sometimes....that doesnt seem to match what you can get quoted for through their site

if you have your license and you are in the 2 year restricted period...try get an online quote for the type of bike you are looking for with one of the modifications selected to be the 33bhp restrict kit fitted

you should at least get a quote if you have a full license (even within the 2 year restricted period)

+try out all the other insurance providers

+will be easier to get a better quote from quinn if you have a quinn assessment done (aim for grade 2)

similar for aon - they have their own assessment I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

amacca wrote: »
    quinns operators work to what seems to be a strange script sometimes....that doesnt seem to match what you can get quoted for through their site

if you have your license and you are in the 2 year restricted period...try get an online quote for the type of bike you are looking for with one of the modifications selected to be the 33bhp restrict kit fitted

you should at least get a quote if you have a full license (even within the 2 year restricted period)

+try out all the other insurance providers

+will be easier to get a better quote from quinn if you have a quinn assessment done (aim for grade 2)

similar for aon - they have their own assessment I think
    I rang quinn twice again and the first call i made,the woman would insure me on a honda bros 400c,but when i ring again for a quote on a honda cb 1 400cc,the operator then told me hes not going to insure me,im really confused with all this stuff with quinn:confused:can someone tell me, can an 18 yr old on a prov licence get insured on a honda cb1 400cc?is there a quinn office around meath or cavan i can go into and try get a quote?...this is driving me mad as i badly need to upgrade my bike.

I rang quinn twice again and the first call i made,the woman would insure me on a honda bros 400c,but when i ring again for a quote on a honda cb 1 400cc,the operator then told me hes not going to insure me,im really confused with all this stuff with quinn:confused:can someone tell me, can an 18 yr old on a prov licence get insured on a honda cb1 400cc?is there a quinn office around meath or cavan i can go into and try get a quote?...this is driving me mad as i badly need to upgrade my bike.

They are obliged to insure you if it is legal for you to ride it.

forcing them to give you a quote may however end up with you getting a prohibitively expensive policy.

have you tried to get an online quote for the model of bike you are talking about with 33bhp restrict kit fitted + provisional license as the option etc?

They are obliged to insure you if it is legal for you to ride it.

forcing them to give you a quote may however end up with you getting a prohibitively expensive policy.

have you tried to get an online quote for the model of bike you are talking about with 33bhp restrict kit fitted + provisional license as the option etc?
    Ye i tryed but it said i had to give them a call..I dont understand them,i keep getting different answers from them each time i call:confused:,and i dont want to buy the bike and then they get hardass on me and really not insure me at all..Would you say calling into a quinn direct building do me any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Ye i tryed but it said i had to give them a call..I dont understand them,i keep getting different answers from them each time i call:confused:

Just Quinn being Quinn, in my experience. It's a big part of why I didn't stay with them after the first year - they told me at one point that anyone on a learner license could only ride a 125cc (even though I explained they already had me insured on a 400cc bike) when I was changing to a 650cc, and actually made up some BS story about how the Guards had called in to warn them not to insure any learner drivers on bikes over 125cc (I was 27 and had an A permit at the time).

You'll get a different story depending on who you get through to, I can't imagine what they'd be like in an actual claims situation.
    ,and i dont want to buy the bike and then they get hardass on me and really not insure me at all..Would you say calling into a quinn direct building do me any good?

People have reported that actually going in to them works better than over the phone, so it might be worth a shot if it's not too out of the way for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Ye i tryed but it said i had to give them a call..I dont understand them,i keep getting different answers from them each time i call:confused:,and i dont want to buy the bike and then they get hardass on me and really not insure me at all..Would you say calling into a quinn direct building do me any good?

their head office is in cavan no? call in and see what they say...

Would you say calling into a quinn direct building do me any good?

cant hurt to try......its a pain in the hole when you get a different story like that each time.....I know a little of the frustration myself and hope it works out for you.

if its legal for you to ride the bike with your provisional however its my understanding they are legally obliged to quote you.........they will probably charge a high price if they are forced however....

try calling into them, try every other provider and see what they can do

+ try changing the details on the site to see if they would quote you online with a level 2 quinn assessment...you could get an instructor to prepare you for one of these and do an assessment without too much hassle/cost

............one final thought...is there any way you could wait until you have the full license and then you should have an easier time of it (even during the two year restricted period)..............online engine is probably asking you to ring/contact them because of the provisional tbh

oh and to answer your question.....yes an 18yr old on a provisional can theoretically get insured on a 400cc or indeed a 1000cc and upwards if you can prove its been restricted - there is no law against it that I can see.........................just lots of hurdles/barriers put in your way by .."company policy" and obviously a cost issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

One thing you can do is take the name of the person you are dealing with and the reference number of the quote if they give you one. This way you can return to the person/quote in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are obliged to insure you if it is legal for you to ride it....

Not true. They can decline, and don't need to tell you why either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

Forget about them, get insurance elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A lot of misinformation here. They can decline you and if requested must provide written proof of this. Proof from three(of the four) insurers means you can make a complaint to the insurance ombudsman and force any one of the company's to give you a quote.

If you are already insured and change the bike Quinn can choose to cancel the contract as you changed the terms of it. If they quote and charge you a absolutely stupid amount of money, you can once again complain to the ombudsman and get him to check the underwriters numbers to see if they are discriminating against you without justification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

Move on. :D

A lot of misinformation here. They can decline you and if requested must provide written proof of this. Proof from three(of the four) insurers means you can make a complaint to the insurance ombudsman and force any one of the company's to give you a quote.

If you are already insured and change the bike Quinn can choose to cancel the contract as you changed the terms of it. If they quote and charge you a absolutely stupid amount of money, you can once again complain to the ombudsman and get him to check the underwriters numbers to see if they are discriminating against you without justification.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

All good in theory.

The reality however is entirely different. I should know.

All good in theory.

The reality however is entirely different. I should know.

can you or can you not do what Cuddlesworth has indicated?

while being sketchy on the details (didn't realise exact ins and outs) I was under the impression you could force an insurance company to insure you if it is legal for you to drive the vehicle.

will the company just keep delaying in issuing the policy or something?

(presuming of course you have the time and money to pursue this course of action - it being prohibitively expensive not being a factor in other words)

Please read the blog I linked to earlier in the thread.

Thanks guys,i really appreciate the quick replies,but im going to give up hassling quinn for insurance because its getting me nowhere:(..instead im going to get a yamaha zeal 250cc.is it any good,reliable?im getting this bike as it seems to be one of the only 250cc bikes they'll insure me on.

KamiKazi wrote: »

No thanks, I don't bother creating accounts on crap sites just to read a blog. If it can only be viewed with a private account, its not worth viewing.

• Advertisement

No thanks, I don't bother creating accounts on crap sites just to read a blog. If it can only be viewed with a private account, its not worth viewing.

Oh, thought it was publicly viewable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Oh, thought it was publicly viewable.

Fail.

P.C. wrote: »
    Fail.

Almost as much fail as when you try to keep up with me eh!

Almost as much fail as when you try to keep up with me eh!

I can see it now

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS60yMbT-i7M4lO2MODnKYUqAvj9NfvJ2jO7qwqEgAK22eBXfR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

I just gave Quinn a call and asked them to quote me on a Honda Bros 400, restricted.

They refused to give me a quote unless I faxed them a copy of the restriction certificate. :eek:

For giggles my mate rang and asked to quote the same type of bike but not restricted, he was refused a quote unluess he sent them a photocopy of his license.

(side question; they're 33HP, do they need to be restricted?)

Mathiasb wrote: »
    I just gave Quinn a call and asked them to quote me on a Honda Bros 400, restricted.

They refused to give me a quote unless I faxed them a copy of the restriction certificate. :eek:

For giggles my mate rang and asked to quote the same type of bike but not restricted, he was refused a quote unluess he sent them a photocopy of his license.

(side question; they're 33HP, do they need to be restricted?)
    Just wondering what age are you??..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Just wondering what age are you??..

I'm not 25 yet. My mate is older than me though, and he couldn't get a quote at all on a regular bike.

I don't understand why they wouldn't quote you over the phone?

Mathiasb wrote: »
    I'm not 25 yet. My mate is older than me though, and he couldn't get a quote at all on a regular bike.

I don't understand why they wouldn't quote you over the phone?
    a friend of mine went in to quinn direct in blanchardstown earlier today and he asked the woman at the counter,is there an age restriction on bikes and she said no theres not..and so he gave her my age, licence type and make of bike i wanted and she said she'll insure me if the bike is restricted..so i dont know what the people on the phone are talking about:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its bull****. I got insured on a 650 at 20 (four mounts ago). They were telling me exactly what they told you until I said I had the bike bought and sitting outside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement