Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk£ 2.25 / lt. No Joke

• 02-08-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Slaughter-free milk rolled out

2 August 2011 | By Ben Briggs
    ORGANIC milk from cows that will be retired to a sanctuary once their milking days started its first deliveries this week.

The milk is being pioneered by the Ahimsa Dairy Foundation (ADF) working in partnership with the Organic Milk Suppliers Co-operative (OMSco) and one of their supplier farms in Kent – Commonwork.
    At present the milk, which costs £2.25 a litre and 15p for doorstep delivery, is being distributed in north west London and parts of Hertfordshire, although national distribution is being explored and subject to demand it might be possible to do drop-offs in other areas.
    Patrick Holden, former director of the Soil Association said: “I am delighted that Ahimsa Slaughter-Free Milk is now on the market and very much welcome the initiative. As a dairy farmer myself I am inspired by this example. It is setting a benchmark for farmers around the world and proves they can farm without exploiting their cows.”
    Sanjay Tanna, director of ADF, said: “There is so much suffering in the production of conventional milk. Cows are killed years before their natural time having been milked to death, male calves often destroyed at birth or sold as veal, and bulls are slaughtered for meat. We believe this is no way to reward the generosity of the cow on whose milk people are so dependent.
    “None of our cattle will ever face the abattoir and we are exploring new ways of sustainably and productively working with bulls. We think people will really be able to taste the difference in the milk we sell.”
    ADF is a not-for-profit organisation. It takes its model of caring for cows from the farm at Bhaktivedanta Manor, where a herd are kept to supply the Hare Krishna Temple.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

what do they do with the cows when they die ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

bring them to the local church to repose and then mass is said the next day, and afterwards everyone and all the cows get hammered drunk and have a BBQ!!!!!

sorry couldnt resist :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I can imagine cows queing up to join:p

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Sooooooo.......cows arent slaughtered and are left to pass on in time. Calves arent slaughtered either and are left to age gracefully, if i understand correctly. I hope they are making lots of land in the UK because in 20 years there is going to be a hell of a lot of land used up for gereatric cattle with zero production and milk having to make £100 a litre to pay the extended costs involved. Should be a fun business model:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

babybrian wrote: »
    bring them to the local church to repose and then mass is said the next day, and afterwards everyone and all the cows get hammered drunk and have a BBQ!!!!!

sorry couldnt resist :D

and then they all go quite to listen to the death notices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, "They all lived happily ever after" milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Far bigger fish to fry than this one. Intensive chicken/pork production for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Is this for the Hindu community and others who see the cow as a sacred animal?

Advertisement