Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky ride Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Child abuse! :pac:

157_w475_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm noticing a distinct lack of helmets and according to the FAQs they're not compulsory:eek:

"A helmet (strongly recommended for all under 18s and recommended for adults too)"

Is nobody thinking of the children?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

robertxxx wrote: »
    Seen this in the paper today, hope there is a big turn out.

http://www.goskyride.com/Dublin

Noticed it in today's papers as well. I actually registered last night although I registered at www.goskyride.ie I presume this is the same just with a .ie address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Is hi-viz mandatory? Not sure what purpose all that hi-viz serves when you're surrounded by cyclists on all sides during daylight.

EDIT: Hope it's good fun and goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Visibility from space?

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Is hi-viz mandatory? Not sure what purpose all that hi-viz serves when you're surrounded by cyclists on all sides during daylight.

The hi-vis happens to have SKY logos emblazoned across it.

Lumen wrote: »
    The hi-vis happens to have SKY logos emblazoned across it.
    Oh yeah, I get that. But do you still have to wear it? And they could provide some nice-looking Sky-branded tabards to balance it out, couldn't they? Harumph.

header_h305_w976_b.jpg

Drop that hi-vis loser!

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I get that. But do you still have to wear it? And they could provide some nice-looking Sky-branded tabards to balance it out, couldn't they? Harumph.

Unfortunately I think it's a health and safety requirement in case some numpty walks out in front of you claiming they 'didnt see you'. Might be no way out of it.

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think it's a health and safety requirement in case some numpty walks out in front of you claiming they 'didnt see you'. Might be no way out of it.
    I won't belabour the point of how absurd that is!

• Advertisement

Oh absurd isn't the word - but there is always one blind eejit who would no doubt blame the cyclist.

Oh absurd isn't the word - but there is always one blind eejit who would no doubt blame the cyclist.

I don't think it's reasonable to speculate into "political correctness gone mad" territory based on a couple of photographs. The FAQ on the website mentions only that hi-vis will be available, not that it's mandatory.

edit: FWIW the FAQ also states that helmets are recommended but not mandatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I did the Dublin city cycle a couple of years ago. Is this event related to that in any way? That was on closed roads, on a sunny morning and with guarda outriders. High-viz was handed out to everyone at the start and when I said I would not be wearing it I was told I would not be allowed to participate. I said I wouldn't be wearing it and if they wished to stop from riding my bike they were welcome to try. It was about then that I realised that I want nothing whatsoever to do with any form of cycling advocacy group.

niceonetom wrote: »
    I did the Dublin city cycle a couple of years ago. Is this event related to that in any way? That was on closed roads, on a sunny morning and with guarda outriders. High-viz was handed out to everyone at the start and when I said I would not be wearing it I was told I would not be allowed to participate. I said I wouldn't be wearing it and if they wished to stop from riding my bike they were welcome to try. It was about then that I realised that I want nothing whatsoever to do with any form of cycling advocacy group.

I don't think it's related to that cycle. I know it's a Dublin City Council event as the Lord Mayor has been promoting it in the papers but I think the Sky Ride event is a different event. To be honest I don't mind the high viz vests, might be a bit warm while cycling but I can't imagine it being an intense cycle so that doesn't really bother me. If it's not mandatory I can't imagine they will try to stop people taking part if they are not wearing them, it would be a bit harsh.

Should be good banter if the weather plays along nicely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Nicky Byrne is going to be there and all you lot can do is talk about hi-hiz vests. Bloody Hell! :rolleyes:

studiorat wrote: »
    Nicky Byrne is going to be there and all you lot can do is talk about hi-hiz vests. Bloody Hell! :rolleyes:

Everybody's looking for that something
    One thing that makes it all complete
    You'll find it in the strangest places
    Places you never knew it could be

Some find it in the face of their children
    Some find it in their lover's eyes
    Who can deny the joy it is
    When you've found that special thing?
    You're riding without hi-vis

I see you've been training for it already Lumen.

It would be an interesting experiment to play some music as he cycles along and see whether he stands up out of the saddle when the key goes up a semitone.

snf0936c384_386413a.jpg

(Westlife are serial offenders in the Truck Driver's Gear Change Hall of Shame: http://gearchange.org/browse_by_artist.html.)

Don't be dissin' the key change. It's a cornerstone of our popular music culture.

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't be dissin' the key change. It's a cornerstone of our popular music culture.
    At least they didn't go as far as the Beach Boys:
    This is just absurd. I've ended up listening to this as a result of working historically backwards from the versions by Westlife and Terry Jacks – you might want to do the same. It seems that as you travel backwards through the endless cover versions, the gear changes get progressively more ridiculous. I need to build up a significant amount of courage before I dare to track down even older versions such as that by Nana Mouskouri.

As I understand it, this weedy rendition by the Beach Boys never got a proper release, and it's easy to hear why. After the first of these two gear changes, "the Boys" seem to have already reached the top of their vocal range, and they duck out of the second, leaving the horns to pick up the pieces with all the pop appeal of a Salvation Army brass band. In fact the transition is so ham-fisted that it almost sounds as if the engineer sped the whole tape up... except that the timing is intact. I keep expecting the Chipmunks to chime in with a final chorus.

http://gearchange.org/descriptions/The%20Beach%20Boys%20-%20Seasons%20In%20The%20Sun.html

• Advertisement

However the semi-tone key change is a crime against humanity.

Truck drivers gear change, LOL... I'm keeping than one.

However the semi-tone key change is a crime against humanity.

Truck drivers gear change, LOL... I'm keeping than one.
    I had to do a guitar and voice arrangement of "It Is You I Have Loved" for a wedding last week. I removed the truck driver's gear change. It sounds much better. To be fair, it's quite well accomplished in that one, occurring during the instrumental solo, which is better than the slapped-in-the-face-by-a-fish effect you get when it happens after the solo.

Advertisement