Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iTouch docking station (watts) ??

• 02-08-2011 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a iPod docking station in the tomorrow and have seen a few in Argos that interest me.

My only problem is though I have no idea about watts, as in what would be considered good and not.

This one here is 70 quid and is 30w

And this one is €42 and 6w.

Here's a link to their selection just in case anybody wants to recommend a different. €70 max is my budget.

Never mind, friend just explained it all to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I'm looking at buying a iPod docking station in the tomorrow and have seen a few in Argos that interest me.

My only problem is though I have no idea about watts, as in what would be considered good and not.

This one here is 70 quid and is 30w

And this one is €42 and 6w.

Here's a link to their selection just in case anybody wants to recommend a different. €70 max is my budget.
    Well i'm not going to waste my time looking at all the details of those amps as you don't get thanks on this site :rolleyes: BUT
    it's unlikely you will get a 30 watt amp for 70 e. That may refer to power comsumption, not audio power.
    6 watts is closer to what you can expect but that may refer to total audio power. As in 3 watts per channel and not true RMS so really less than 3 watts per channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Well i'm not going to waste my time looking at all the details of those amps as you don't get thanks on this site :rolleyes: BUT
    it's unlikely you will get a 30 watt amp for 70 e. That may refer to power comsumption, not audio power.
    6 watts is closer to what you can expect but that may refer to total audio power. As in 3 watts per channel and not true RMS so really less than 3 watts per channel.

okay......each to their own :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Watts do not equal sound quality, or necessarily even loudness. If you just want loud, then you could just go far watts per euro and hope the specs aren't bogus, but if you want sound quality then you might want to look at reviews and look a bit further afield than Argos. For sound quality, A good rule of thumb would be iPod docks that are made by companies that have a reputaion for manufacturing speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

^^^^^ Agreed !! . . . oh and it's not an iTouch . . . it's an iPod Touch ;) . . . I know . . I'm such a pedant . . sorry !!

Ken

Advertisement